Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
The second cable is for Bluetooth data, D+ and D-. There are several ways to connect this...
  1. Connect it to the motherboard where your current Bluetooth 2.0 is connected. This would require either splicing in to the existing cable or getting a replacement cable with proper connector.

Just tried to fit a JST GH 1.25mm 4-pin connector to the connector on the motherboard (where the Bluetooth2 adaptor is normally attached), but it doesn't fit. Grr!

Can anyone help with the full technical description of the Bluetooth back-plane connector that provides the data connection for Bluetooth.

I pushed on and decided to go for the next option - build my own USB plug (bought a soldering iron and all the other bits) but I've given up cos I couldn't get the wires to take to the solder. Double Grr!

Next option, if all else fails, is to butcher the original Bluetooth back-plane cable.

If anyone knows where I can buy a read-made cable solution (I know OSXWIFI sells them with their cards, but doesn't look like they sell them separately) that would be appreciated.

sqhead

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Just tried to fit a JST GH 1.25mm 4-pin connector to the connector on the motherboard (where the Bluetooth2 adaptor is normally attached), but it doesn't fit. Grr!

Can anyone help with the full technical description of the Bluetooth back-plane connector that provides the data connection for Bluetooth.

I pushed on and decided to go for the next option - build my own USB plug (bought a soldering iron and all the other bits) but I've given up cos I couldn't get the wires to take to the solder. Double Grr!

Next option, if all else fails, is to butcher the original Bluetooth back-plane cable.

If anyone knows where I can buy a read-made cable solution (I know OSXWIFI sells them with their cards, but doesn't look like they sell them separately) that would be appreciated.

post #630

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Thanks sqhead. Can you confirm this worked for you on your cMP, because the connectors don't look like molex. If they did, I'll start ordering.

sqhead

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Thanks sqhead. Can you confirm this worked for you on your cMP, because the connectors don't look like molex. If they did, I'll start ordering.

Worked perfectly. The hardest part was to crimp those tiny connectors onto the wire. I don't have $400 spare to buy the proper tool, so I used a pair of small long nose pliers under a magnifier, difficult but doable.

I bought this off Ebay and just modified one of the cables
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271941523725?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Just need to get the black/red in the right order on the cMP motherboard USB header. When facing the cMP motherboard, black is the top and red is the next one down. Hope that makes sense.

AC910

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2016
This is the first time that I experienced this kind of problem in many years, I upgraded to BT 4.0/AC WiFi Card on september. Rebooting, SMC reset, NVRAM and NPRAM reset. Nor of these worked.

As I mentioned before, booting into recovery mode, disabling SIP, rebooting on normal Mac OS and then booting into recovery partition to re-enable SIP worked perfectly.

Did you fully re-enable SIP or did you use --without-kext?

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Disaster. Yes, we had a massive 7.5M earthquake nearby last night. Yikes! But even worse (for me - yes I'm being petty - at least 2 people died and there is significant damage up the East coast of the South Island here in NZ) is I broke the u.fl connector off the 802.11ac/BT4 card trying to attach the u.fl aerial. Great! Will have to purchase another Wifi/BT card now. WiFi-ac works, but BT is buggered. Will consider applying CAT now to get Continuity working with my BT dongle working.

Reactions: wickerstick

AC910

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2016
It's safe to fully re-enable SIP.

Perfect thanks! Full reenable worked without issue. Running CAT was the missing piece to get this running.

I was pulling out my hair trying to get handoff and watch unlock working on this 2012 Mac Pro with an apple AC card. I even tried multiple fresh os installs and lost track of how many times I logged out and in iCloud.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Perfect thanks! Full reenable worked without issue. Running CAT was the missing piece to get this running.

I was pulling out my hair trying to get handoff and watch unlock working on this 2012 Mac Pro with an apple AC card. I even tried multiple fresh os installs and lost track of how many times I logged out and in iCloud.
Good to hear. Getting closer and closer to using CAT. Unlocking my Mac Pro with an Apple Watch is too convenient to pass up!

Presumably CAT needs to be re-run every time one updates macOS point releases, 10.12.x?

AC910

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2016
Good to hear. Getting closer and closer to using CAT. Unlocking my Mac Pro with an Apple Watch is too convenient to pass up!

Presumably CAT needs to be re-run every time one updates macOS point releases, 10.12.x?

Since full SIP is reenabled I don't think it's an big deal to run CAT. Just do it. Watch unlock is so cool.

And no idea about the update. Guess we'll see when it happens.

Reactions: Squuiid

guin

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009

So far it has not been necessary to re-rerun CAT after applying MacOS updates but that may change at some point in the future.

patdohere

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
Thanks for your suggestion. I eventually get the same card from your seller. Good quality.

Since my 4,1 didn't come with the wi-fi card and all the antennas are hidden behind the logic board. Therefore I decide to remove the whole processor cage to do the wi-fi card installation.

Because there are plenty of room for my hand to move around, the installation process is very easy. The package cable length (between the wi-fi card and BT card) is prefect.
View attachment 662418

All Wi-Fi, BT work straight after boot. Airdrop works (between Mac and iPhone, my main purpose), Siri works (all functions need location required Wi-Fi), Handoff works (a bonus for me), Auto Unlock successfully enabled (tested, and work).

What worry me most before the upgrade is the Magic Mouse connection. I use BT Explorer to monitor the connection quality, very good, stay at max.

And I take this opportunity to clean all the fans, heatsink, graphic cards etc. Everything cost me around 1 hour, a successful upgrade with some fun.

Anyway, I have absolutely no idea which antenna is which, I just randomly connect them. Luckily has good result. I don't need extreme Wi-Fi speed, my primary network still via the cable connection. All I care is the BT connection quality. And I got it right by luck.

h9826790 where did you get the wdxxfu adapter to use the BCM943602CS

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
Yesterday I decided to take the plunge and update my El Capitan MP5.1 with BCM94360CD with Airdrop, Continuity and HandOff enabled to MacOS Sierra.

And I was surprised how painless the whole transition was, just pressed upgrade and afterwards everything was still working as it should (no additional fiddling around with SIP or anything) and what is more: I could just select Watch unlock and that works like a charm too!

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Yesterday I decided to take the plunge and update my El Capitan MP5.1 with BCM94360CD with Airdrop, Continuity and HandOff enabled to MacOS Sierra.

And I was surprised how painless the whole transition was, just pressed upgrade and afterwards everything was still working as it should (no additional fiddling around with SIP or anything) and what is more: I could just select Watch unlock and that works like a charm too!
Had you used CAT when running under El Capitan, prior to the upgrade, out of interest?
I had tried both BCM94360CD and BCM943602CDP on clean installs of Sierra and while everything else worked fine Apple Watch unlock did not.
As soon as I used CAT the Apple Watch unlock feature started working.

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
I'm not a 100% sure anymore but I can see that I downloaded CAT in june of this year and I do remember having to do something (either disable SIP or/and using CAT) before Handoff to work with El Capitan back then.

Now I didn't need to do any of those before or after upgrading to Sierra for all of the features including Unlock with Watch to work "out of the box". So whatever I did back in June stuck around after the upgrade as well.

msbc

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I have a MacPro5,1 and installed the osxwifi BT4 card last year - worked fine with OSX. Just installed Sierra and all works ok except no Universal Clipboard - which I would like. Reading posts I see mention of 'newer' cards that support BT4.1 or 4.2 (I think) - would these give UC support on my MP?

Whats the newest card that I could use? Any recommendations where to get it?

Thanks,
Mark

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Does CAT work with Sierra? I checked the CAT site and the last update in the release notes was back in June and related to the betas.
Yep, I ended up having to use it to enable Apple Watch unlock. Ran it on a clean install of Sierra 10.12.1 and it did the trick. Then re-enabled SIP and all works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.