802.11b/g USB Adapters?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SFVCyclone, May 24, 2005.

1. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

I just got a couple of 802.11b/g "airlink 101" usb adapters for 30 bucks each at fry's. im sure they work well with pc's BUT with macs its another story. i plugged them in to my 41 dollar iMac g3 that i just got from ebay and os x saw the dongle but did nothing with it. then i headed over to my dual 800 and same thing. i tried downloading a couple programs from other companies assuming that it might recognize them and get them to work but no luck. anybody know if they can be used on macs? any past experiences on these type of devices? any help/advice would be appreciated.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

USB networking devices require drivers. You need to see if the manufacturer supplies drivers.

Generally speaking, USB networking in a mac is kinda flaky in terms of driver support. Ethernet based adaptors work much better since they are OS independent and driver free.

3. SFVCyclone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it came with a cd but its for Winblows, so its of no use. its cause the ethernet port on the imac doesn't work, i already tried all kinds of things but to no luck, then i'll just return them and use the money for and airport set up.