Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
On the Apple Discussion forums it's been well reported that all C2D iMacs suffer wireless problems and have extremely low transfer rates (lower than even 802.11b). I have a C2D iMac and I use a wire but I tested the wireless on my 802.11g network to investigate and mine too suffers these problems. A CD MacBook Pro connecting right beside the iMac runs at full 802.11g speed, so it must be the iMac.

As the new C2D MBPs have the same chipset, and the same wireless card, as the C2D iMac, it seems very likely they will suffer from terrible wireless speeds too. I don't mind the problem too much on my iMac since it's always wired but I have a C2D MBP arriving on the 6th and I'd obviously hate if it has the same problem as it will be used wirelessy nearly all the time.

Can someone who has already received their new MBP and has an 802.11g network please test? If the MBP suffers the problem you'll likely end up with a transfer speed of around 500KB/s (which is half a meg a second). If it works properly 802.11g should be delivering at least 2000KB/s.

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Nah, the chipsets are different (iMac is Broadcom, MBP is D-Link)

'Course this doesn't mean that the MBP's could have problems of their own with wifi.

Edit: I'm not quite right:

PygmySurfer said:
The Wireless card in the MBP is actually an Atheros. D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, etc don't make the chipsets, they just incorporate them into their designs. The reason the card showed up as a D-Link was because someone installed a D-Link driver in Windows (you can pretty much use a driver from any manufacturer, as long as the driver is for the appropriate chipset).

The chipsets are different though, at least.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
I thought the C2D MBP's were going to be 802.11n. Is this turned out to be not true? It'd definately be a different component then.

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
MalcolmJID said:
I thought the C2D MBP's were going to be 802.11n. Is this turned out to be not true? It'd definately be a different component then.

They're draft 802.11n as well, from every report I've read thus far.

Same issue as the iMac though - the OS X drivers don't support n yet. We'll probably have to wait until Apple releases a 802.11n router (and/or iTV)

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
MalcolmJID said:

Both the C2D iMac and MBPs have draft 802.11n cards, but the 802.11n capabilities are not enabled in either yet. Most people expect that when Apple releases the iTV it will need 802.11n to work wirelessly and at that point Apple will release a firmware update that will enable 802.11n on the iMacs and MBPs.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
nevir said:
Nah, the chipsets are different (iMac is Broadcom, MBP is D-Link)

'Course this doesn't mean that the MBP's could have problems of their own with wifi.

The Wireless card in the MBP is actually an Atheros. D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, etc don't make the chipsets, they just incorporate them into their designs. The reason the card showed up as a D-Link was because someone installed a D-Link driver in Windows (you can pretty much use a driver from any manufacturer, as long as the driver is for the appropriate chipset).

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
maverick808 said:
Both the C2D iMac and MBPs have draft 802.11n cards, but the 802.11n capabilities are not enabled in either yet. Most people expect that when Apple releases the iTV it will need 802.11n to work wirelessly and at that point Apple will release a firmware update that will enable 802.11n on the iMacs and MBPs.

Ah ok, thanks guys!

I'm still interested to here if the new MBPs have a similar wireless problem.

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
PygmySurfer said:

Ah, ok! Good to know. I'm updating my initial post to reflect this.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
OK so if you were going to buy a wireless router to use with your new MBP what would it be?

Constraints:
Not Linksys (just had bad experience with WRT54G)
Not speedbooster (don't really need it)
Range: 30-40 feet through a few interior walls
Cheaper is better

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
PygmySurfer said:

Indeed. There aren't that many draft-n products on the market using that particular Atheros chipset (AR5008). The D-Link driver is fully compatible.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
ChickenSwartz said:
OK so if you were going to buy a wireless router to use with your new MBP what would it be?

Constraints:
Not Linksys (just had bad experience with WRT54G)
Not speedbooster (don't really need it)
Range: 30-40 feet through a few interior walls
Cheaper is better
The WRT54G sets the standard for 802.11g networking. What experience did you have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.