802.11g? Maybe

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by gopher, Aug 10, 2002.

1. gopher macrumors 65816

2. Paladin macrumors member

I hope 802.11g is on the way. I've been holding off my Airport purchase until it's released.

3. powerbook macrumors newbie

this is my guess, as only the cards are delayed by 2-3 weeks and not the basestations we won't see 802.11g until its standardized.
    What would be cool would be if apple releases a new airport card with integrated bluetooth!!! This way the entire apple range will get bluetooth (why we don't have it on the powerbook! or IrDa)!! Maybe we will also see wireless keyboards and mice?

:D

4. coolshot125 macrumors newbie

i don't know about airport 802.11g, but about blue-tooth, i think there's no maybe's about it! apple's really taken this blue-tooth thing seriously and i think they're gonna push it as far as it's go! i think pretty soon, usb cables (and maybe someday fw too) will be a thing of the past!

5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I am not so sure about the ability to flash the 802.11b cards to make them become 802.11g cards. 11g uses a different encoding method then b. It actually uses Orthagonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM), instead of Complementary Code Keying (CCK). 11g can still use CCK to make it compatible both forward and backwards with 11b (ie, a 11g ap will permit 11b clients, and an 11g client can talk with an 11b ap.)

I am not sure if there are any hardware assist circuits in the 11g cards that would allow for a higher throughput. If the radio is all done in software then a flash upgrade would make sense. If the radio has any hardware components, then a swap of cards would be necessary.

OTOH, I don't see why you couldn't buy an 11g card and slap that puppy into your airport. At home, for me, it won't make much of a difference. I have 768k sdsl. At work though, it would be awesome. We have a 800 access points spread across campus, and are currently testing 11a access points. I think the real winner is 11g, though. It retains the current investment in hardware, and hopefully will not require us to redesign our wireless network.

6. awrc macrumors regular

Likewise - it may prove that the Lucent/Agere/Wavelan/whatever they're calling themselves this week chipset that's used in the Airport and the Orinoco products is upgradable, but a lot of the articles I've seen on 802.11g mention Intersil developing a new chipset for 802.11g. Intersil's 802.11b chipset is probably the most widely used (it's the one in pretty much every PC 802.11b card except the Orinoco range). If it was just a matter of new firmware, I suspect Intersil wouldn't be developing a new chipset. Then again, if I was Intersil and it was just a matter of new firmware, I might just draw the line and say "existing chipsets are 802.11b only - you want 802.11g, you buy a card based around our new chipset". I'm sure the likes of Netgear and Linksys aren't going to balk at the prospect of selling a heap of new equipment, especially if 802.11g products end up comparable in price to 802.11b ones - the big thing holding back adoption of 802.11a seems to be the cost of the stuff.

7. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I would hold slim hope then that the airport would be flash upgrade-able. All 800 of our AP's are lucent/orinicro/agere products. We have a tight relationship with them, or at least we did till they were bought by Proxim. Not sure what our current relationship is.

Anyway, all of our APs would need new cards to go to 11g. If the snow airport is still using the lucent card, good bet, it will need a card swap also. Let's hope that apple will allow us to upgrade the airport.

8. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Does anybody know of any studies that have been done regarding the long term effects of 802.11a-g and Bluetooth radiation?

Just curious. A study done in Japan showed that even though cell phone radiation isn't supposed to be strong enough to be harmful, the radiation may be reflected off of walls, thereby increase its dosage on people to unsafe levels.

9. vniow macrumors G4

How can that be? Wouldn't bouncing it off the walls weaken it? Maybe if there was a lot of them in one room and radiation signals were bouncing every which way, but I don't see how one cellphone can do more damage bouncing off a wall when its right next to your ear.

10. awrc macrumors regular

I think that was the general idea - your phone alone may not be enough to irradiate your brain, but when you've got all those other phones around...

Plus if you assume your own phone is emitting in all directions, you'll end up getting not only the stuff that goes straight through your head, but stuff that bounces off walls (reducing in strength, yes, but I seem to remember the article said they'd found the strength didn't drop as much as they expected) going through your brain on the way back, and so forth.

I never use my cellphone without putting my tinfoil hat on first.

11. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Actually, what I meant to say was that on a bus/subway, if there were more than 8 people using a cell phone at the same time, the radiation reflected off of the walls of the vehicle exceeds the maximum safe levels

12. vniow macrumors G4

13. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Um... What's the difference between 802.11g and 802.11b?

14. vniow macrumors G4

802.11b runs at 2.4 Ghz and has a maximum speed of 11mbs. 802.11g runs at the same 2.4Ghz, but has the speed of 802.11a which runs a top speed of 54mbs @5Ghz.