802.11G w/ "Speedboost" ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mncpeters, Aug 4, 2004.

1. mncpeters macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2004
    Hi -

Quick Question:

I see that Linksys and others are now offering 802.11G w/ speedboost. Is anyone aware of Apple introducing an update to Airport Extreme? With the recent launch of Express, I am assuming that they are not. It would require all cards or devices to be compatible and I have not read anything regarding this.

Any feedback is appreciated.
  2. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Hm, I've too seen '802.11g+' mentioned by more than one manufacturer, and am curious. It doesn't seem to figure on the IEEE website (from a quick scan), which makes me think this 108MBbps "boost", as you like to call it, isn't officially supported. Highly doubtful Apple will enter into a market such as this, although 108MBps would be pretty f**kin awesome.
  3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    We use the 'boosted' 802.11g at my workplace. Its useless. It uses multiple channels of 54 to get the 108. Plus, even 10 feet away I have never seen anything close to 54. With boost we still do not exceed 54, AND we get interference from other nodes.

Its NOT part of the official standard, so I doubt there Apple will support it. Plus, in a real world environment, with a typical DSL or Cable modem, or even file transfers between machines, how many would even notice the speed difference?