802.11n and First Gen MacBooks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Heart Break Kid, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

With the new version of Airport Extreme basestation out and all this talk about a small upgrade fee, I've been feeling a little left out. As an owner of a first generation macbook, I was wondering if there would be 802.11n internal cards sold to us. It can't be express - because we lack the slot - and I dont want a USB dongle, cause it looks ugly...just a question

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

nope - just G for you - for the new N either pluggin your Macbook into a N enable router or buying an New Macbook

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

All of us first-gen Intel folks are left out, except for the Mac Pro.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There won't be an internal card... there's no place to put it. And you're not any more left out than PPC owners... none of our computers are going to have internal upgrades either. As with most of the Windows PCs that had 802.11g built in on-board.

I know it is annoying, but it's just the way of things. Computers get feature upgrades. 802.11n is still ages away from ratification. But in any event, computers get new features. Every time you buy one, from any vendor, it is likely that the same vendor (and others) will release newer ones at a later time with additional capabilities. If it bothers you a lot, upgrade.

Otherwise, recognize that 802.11g is already faster than your internet connection, although it admittedly does not have the widest range.