802.11n standard ratified today

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stoid, Jan 19, 2006.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Looks like we're one step closer to seeing 802.11n devices in the wild.

If I understand this correctly, the standard is ratified but not official yet. link

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

come on apple. adopt!!

yeah once its ratified it takes a bit for it to become 'offical'

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

At least a year I think. And about 2 for it to become mainstream, unfortunately.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

This is super news.

I wonder if the new Aiport (Supreme?) card will be compatible with the current Airport Extreme slot. That would be wonderful if we all could upgrade without purchasing a new computer. Somehow, I think it unlikely. :(

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i wanted to say a year, but i couldn't remember if that was for ratification or for it be official.

i wouldn't think that its unlikely at all. remember that apple jumped on wireless 'g' when it was ratified and was using it before it was 'official' so i don't think they would hesitate here either. its just a matter of time before they start integration with it.

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

Oh, it's a given that Apple will adopt 802.11n. But much like the original airport, I doubt there will be an upgrade path for existing machines. So it's likely we'll all have to purchase new computers if we want to use the n standard. :(

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

And new base stations...

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if i am correct, 'n' is backwards compatible with 'b/g' so a new basestation would work with your old machines. depending on the model though, yes an upgrade will be necissary. like the original Airport. i wonder if the new card will fit in the slot for the Extreme cards though. that would be nice. its more standardized now it seems. but it is apple.

9. vniow macrumors G4

Sadly that's probably true, even though the original Airport connection probably had enough bandwidth for 802.11g, Apple decided to make a new connector for it, I'm betting they'll do the same for 802.11n...

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

Well, if it doesn't, hang on to that Extreme card 'cause it'll be worth twice as much after Apple discontinues it.

11. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

There is no reason that a new slot would be required. The only reason apple has for developing a new slot is to provide one more reason for people to buy a new mac. I hope they don't do it this time. I always find it disapointing when companys develop a propriatary slot for no real reason except to get more money.

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I hope they don't, but it wouldn't surprise me much if Apple made it so the new card wouldn't work in older computers.

Doesn't really matter to me though, since I never use up the bandwidth of my 802.11b network anyways.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Now that airport is built in on so many (every?) Macs, I dont think it would be as simple as swapping a card anyways.

14. Timepass macrumors 65816

I am kind of surpised that apple did not jump on wireless n like other companies did.

All the major players started pumping out wireless n close to a year ago if not more. apple the only major player who has not got on it earily and they are lagging about 6 months behind the other players

15. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Don't worry, you can add a Linksys USB 802.11n external network card and say goodbye to one of your USB ports. :mad:

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, when they say that, Apple means that they put the card in during assembly.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah but i don't know if they changed the way it is on the newer powerbooks actually. i suppose someone with a rev c? or d? (not sure when they became standard) and up would have to open up their battery bay and see if its accessible or not.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I just checked. It's not accessible.

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, I guess that saves them some money then. One less part (the door) and one (or more) less process to do in manufacturing and assembly.

20. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Is the PCM slot in my PowerBook G4 going to have enough bandwidth that I'd be able to take advantage of a PCM-based 'n' card?

21. Timepass macrumors 65816

it should. the current ones already work with the pre n cards just fine.