Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimothys

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
Basic explanation

This is how I understand it. Apple sold Core 2 Duo computers with 802.11n without advertising them as such and without it being functional. By law, they cannot charge for a component that is not advertised and cannot be used. So by charging a nominal fee now, they are simply covering themselves. They are legally claiming to have supplied the undisclosed cards for no extra cost and are charging to activate the functionality only once it has been made public.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
This is a "hardware upgrade" on the theory that the entire device, CPU, firmware, accessories installed, together constitute the device.

No theory can make a software update a hardware upgrade. They are different things - hardware is made of silicon and metal - software is made of binary information. Some hardware has embedded software to provide a communications API. That's called firmware - it's a type of software.

It's good that words have real meaning, so we can communicate effectively.

If Apple were to sell this upgrade at a loss, it would incur the wrath of its investors, who already are not happy with its under-promised 2Q earnings.

Investors don't get excited about their companies pissing off significant portions of its user base. They've already made > 20% margins on these machines. Losing a dollar off that to keep the customers happy is totally worthwhile.

As an Apple Shareholder, I'd be happy to have Apple sell the firmware to the owners of these new expensive machines for $5 to settle the accounting issue and offer a $5 instant rebate on the purchase, as has been suggested on other sites in the past few days.

Those $5 rebates can be deducted from the marketing and customer relations budgets. If Apple choses to go the currently stated path and charge $2 and piss off a hundred thousand or so of it's customers it's going to make this shareholder wonder why they don't care about repeat sales which are worth far more than $5.

Really? Where on the specifications on your invoice or in the product information does it mention that?

The man pages describe all the 802.11n settings. If you went to an Apple Store to try out a machine before buying it and you understood how Mac OS X works and wondered about this feature it was right there for you to see.

1080p isn't a new material feature; it's just a new resolution (just like the iPod resolution bump). The XBox had HD support. If it hadn't had HD support at all, then they'd be in the same boat as Apple. There is no different specialized hardware needed for 1080 over 720--you're only pushing more pixels.

Conversely, to get 802.11n, you need different hardware and different software than for 802.11g.

The hardware for 802.11n is already there. We're talking about a firmware change - nobody is is getting a hardware upgrade here.

The resolution is actually a good analogy - both higher resolution and higher network speeds require a modification to the modulation of a signal and both increase the bandwidth of the signal - which is why you typically need new hardware to support things like these. HD support in your example is analogous to 802.11 support - both standards have low-data-rate (720p and g) and high data rate (1080i and n) variants. 1080i is likely to require a deinterlacing filter, just as 802.11n is likely to require additional firmware processing.

Because I can think of a couple of creative accounting treatments that I would accept as their auditor that do not require charging customers. It seems that this is a sly runaround with a little bump to the cash flow.

OK, we're waiting with suspense. :)

The actual make of the chipset was not known at the time of the product's release, it was only after people received theirs and started checking out Windows support on them that this -n support came to light, and even then Apple never stated that they were going to release an update or if they were if there was a charge.

Did he say he bought his machine immediately after release? I know I waited a little while to get mine until it was confirmed that the machines had 802.11n-ready wireless chips in them. And by making BootCamp with drivers, Apple is giving the users the means to determine the true nature of the hardware.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
BUT will it unlock 802.11a as well? If so 1.99 isn't bad.

for those who dont accidentially find it on the webs

Is the networking hardware inside the computers capable of 802.11a or is it just the AirPort Extreme box?

It's probably not a good idea to find the update on the web. You never know if it's been changed.

tyroja00

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
By creating this program, they have created a number of costs they would not have otherwise had by simply ignoring the latent capabilities of the hardware. They will have to provide answers to phone support technicians, they've created an answers page about the upgrade, they'll have to provide technical support for installation issues (if any), they'll have to pay for the bandwidth used to send out these files, and all the other collateral consequences. Every resource expended in dealing with this is a resource that could have been put to better use doing something else. The opportunity cost of providing this update comes at the expense of doing other things. Even if the software were handed to them, they'd still have to spend a fair amount of money making it available. Obviously I agree it would have been best to avoid this entirely, but sometimes that's just not possible.

The analogies are poor. No other hardware feature yet mentioned here was ever added without being announced or reported in advance of its formal adoption in the past 4 years. Until an analogy can meet those criteria, this is wholly unbroken ground.

I disagree some of these analogies are pretty good such as,

1) DVD single layer DVD-burners that were later updated to double layer when the standards were completed.

2) Resolution upgrades.

3) Bootcamp adding full Windows functioning for free.

Heck, just search out some of the details of the latest Tiger updates and they are full of "now you can..." and "added the ...". What else do you want as a comparison?

When Draft-N came out, Asus even released early and gave their customers a guarantee that it would work on future final N systems. Apple could have did that.

Anyway, you push it, Apple does not have to charge us for this. I DON"T CARE IF THEY DO!!! But, they are not forced by law to charge us. They are charging us so that they either can make a profit or not incur additional cost and that is all that I was saying.

is this fee only for the US?
cos i seem to recll that the Sarbanes Oxley ruling is US only...?

:confused:

Maybe I have been out of accounting too long (seriously). How does this pertain to Sarbanes Oxley?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Originally Posted by dalvin200
is this fee only for the US?
cos i seem to recll that the Sarbanes Oxley ruling is US only...?

Apple is a US company that reports to the SEC on its worldwide earnings - ergo no free pass for customers outside of the US. Sorry, but you must have realised by now from all of the worldwide grousing that all foreign subsidiary companies of US concerns and, indeed, all non-US entities that are listed in the US have to comply with SOx. In fact, any company anywhere with 300+ US shareholders is similarly affected.

Maybe I have been out of accounting too long (seriously). How does this pertain to Sarbanes Oxley?

You could try reading this thread. It is not as if there are hundreds of pages to wade through. Yet.

A lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over $1.99 to unlock a functionality which has absolutely no value whatsoever unless you spend even more money on an N-capable router. With the spec being draft at present, who knows whether interoperability is even an option. It may very well be the case that N-speeds are only achieved with Apple's own router, in which case the firmware upgrade fee is moot.
I am certainly going to wait until Tom's Hardware/other guinea pigs report back on their findings before rushing out to spend any money on the upgrade.

For those who still harbour a moral objection to paying out anything for the unlock, it will be on torrent sites/rapidshare within seconds of being released. Apple will not care in this instance. Apple seems to feel obliged by their accountants to recognise this as a product sale rather than an software upgrade, but the price clearly demonstrates that Apple does not regard it as a revenue stream and is merely complying with the letter of the law.

boer

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Apple pocketed $1 Billion last quarter alone. If they have to conform to this law, then why don't they charge 1 cent like others have suggested? I agree with others who have said $1.99 won't add much to their bottom line. So why bother? Charge a symbolic 1 cent to conform with the law, and don't piss off your loyal userbase, Apple.

It costs more than 1 cent to even handle the actual payment. I am sure it is out of question that Apple would this at their expense. After all, they did not sell anyone the promise of 802.11n so everyone should get over the fact that this upgrade is not a free meal.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
No theory can make a software update a hardware upgrade.
Insofar as accounting is reality-agnostic, that's not strictly true. Software is acting as a proxy for the combination of hardware + software in this situation. It does not depict the actual sequence of events as observed externally, but that has never been the issue here.

Losing a dollar off that to keep the customers happy is totally worthwhile.
Not if it's not an option available to you. In order to report new functionality in products you've already shipped, you have to distribute same externally. That means you must take in new revenue to report an upgrade. There is no such thing as a free lunch. The rebate idea is an interesting one, however, with some potential merit to it, but again, processing the rebate would then become an issue. It couldn't be an instant rebate, because then there would be no transaction. Retail stores can do instant rebates, but that's because they recognize the revenue from the manufacturer. Apple can't do that any more than it can just shift money around internally at this point (that ship sailed some time ago).
If Apple choses to go the currently stated path and charge $2 and piss off a hundred thousand or so of it's customers it's going to make this shareholder wonder why they don't care about repeat sales which are worth far more than $5.
They've no right to be pissed off. They were never offered any functionality beyond the face value of the specifications they agreed to accept in exchange for money. I'd be more annoyed that they caved to a bunch of whining idiots.

The man pages describe all the 802.11n settings.
The man pages describe 802.11n settings without making any assumption about whether you have the appropriate hardware. Man pages are the same for all hardware configurations; they're not dynamically modified by your machine. It's a manual for software use, not for hardware features.

The hardware for 802.11n is already there.
Not officially. That's the whole problem. From the perspective of the paper trail, customers suddenly have new hardware. Apple has to find a way to update its hardware features without admitting to a material misstatement. That means writing the n-mode off as a paid, feature upgrade.

The resolution is actually a good analogy - both higher resolution and higher network speeds require a modification to the modulation of a signal and both increase the bandwidth of the signal - which is why you typically need new hardware to support things like these.
No, it's not. 802.11n is more than added bandwidth. The real capacity of 802.11g chipsets is adequate for 802.11n, but you can't upgrade .11g cards to .11n. They have to have specialized .11n hardware in them. You don't need any specialized hardware for new resolutions, you just need enough throughput to drive the pixels.

1) DVD single layer DVD-burners that were later updated to double layer when the standards were completed.
That's not an accurate reflection of the series of events. I recall that dual-layer standards were finished long before any of the drives were available, and that certain drives manufactured subsequently were simply made compatible with the media, just as periodic ROM updates add compatibility for new types. They were always capable of focusing on multiple layers, there just wasn't any media available for it.

3) Bootcamp adding full Windows functioning for free.
Bootcamp is purely software.

When Draft-N came out, Asus even released early and gave their customers a guarantee that it would work on future final N systems. Apple could have did that.
No, because Asus released its products with draft-n drivers. They worked out of the box and were assured that customers would have final n-support. Apple, on the other hand, had no software at shipping time, so it could not have made the same commitment. You can't ship a product with an advertised feature that doesn't work. Asus draft-n cards worked immediately at draft-n performance. Apple's hardware was ready before the software.

But, they are not forced by law to charge us.
They believe they are, or they wouldn't be doing this. You have no demonstrated any reason why it's not required by law, while myself and several others have elucidated why a strict interpretation of the law would motivate this series of actions. There is always a possibility that they could not charge and not get caught, but step one of risk management is risk avoidance.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
$1.99 isn't that bad. It's cheaper than my high school lunch. On the other hand, it would mean paying this fee and buying a router that sports draft N capability. I'm still reluctant to buy the new Airport Extreme base station because (a) my 3 year old Linksys router didn't die yet and (b) the Airport Extreme is a bit too pricey for me.

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
is there some problem here? i think your statement is a bit out of hand. $1.99 isn't exactly much worth complaining about.

OK, So I spent £1500 on a Mac Book Pro, and now they want more money to install a hardware driver on it! Yeah it is worth complaining about. Imagine if Microsoft started charging $1.99 for Windows XP SP2 (which added a load of security features). What if ATI & Nvidia started charging $1.99 when they upgrade their graphics drivers? It shouldn't work.

Maybe the iPhone cost more than Jobs thought it would do! I sincerely hope that everyone gets this file from BitTorrent or Rapidshare as it is pure greediness on Apple's part. They have to charge for it? Oh no, why isn't it $0.01 then. It took time to develop? Then why give it for free with an Airport, or why not include it in the Leopard development costs. I'm sure it will be included with Leopard.

I like Apple's products, but their greediness (and the amount people put up with it), often amazes me.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
OK, So I spent £1500 on a Mac Book Pro, and now they want more money to install a hardware driver on it! Yeah it is worth complaining about. Imagine if Microsoft started charging $1.99 for Windows XP SP2 (which added a load of security features). What if ATI & Nvidia started charging $1.99 when they upgrade their graphics drivers? It shouldn't work.

Maybe the iPhone cost more than Jobs thought it would do! I sincerely hope that everyone gets this file from BitTorrent or Rapidshare as it is pure greediness on Apple's part. They have to charge for it? Oh no, why isn't it $0.01 then. It took time to develop? Then why give it for free with an Airport, or why not include it in the Leopard development costs. I'm sure it will be included with Leopard.

I like Apple's products, but their greediness (and the amount people put up with it, often amazes me).

It's not Apple's choice to have to charge you!!!!

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
It's not Apple's choice to have to charge you!!!!

So, how come apple don't have to charge to add Gapless playback, longer battery life & 640x480 video support to the video iPod? :confused: Surely they can get in trouble for that too? Or perhaps there would have been a load of bad publicity if they had said "These new iPods are the same as the old ones, but the old owners will have to pay to get the extra facilities".

Also, and probably not such a good example, how does this work with them selling the 1.5Ghz G4 Mac Minis as 1.42 Ghz ones? Surely that is an unadvertised upgrade too?

To be honest, the mood this whole debate is getting me into reminds me of: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/perspective.png,

so I should probably shut up now :)

white pilgrim

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2006
Singapore
Coupla matters, please advise.

Isn't n still a draft standard? From the time the C2D Macs shipped till now, I hadn't noticed news of a new released 802.11 published spec, only draft. This is to help me understand all the arguments previously about the state of n-spec being the issue in this episode. There are other corps shipping notebooks with draft-n cards before sweet Apple but you don't hear of a fee, difference i could see is that they advertised the card.

So, I get the feeling its just really about audit hoops?

Finally, if the fee is to cover for my C2D MBP, why are they giving the patch free with the new base station? Not everyone who gets the base station owns a recent intel mac, or just mac or even an n-enabled card (it is backwards compatible with g), so theres not much of a diff if they just bundled it with Leopard too right?

Anyway, i'll just pay fer that when its time, if i still have to by the time my g router fries.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
So, I get the feeling its just really about audit hoops?
Exactly.
so theres not much of a diff if they just bundled it with Leopard too right?
I wouldn't be surprised if it's built in to Leopard, so yeah, I wouldn't worry about it...not to mention it'll be all over the Internets within minutes of its release anyway, and I doubt Apple cares even a little whether people share this with each other. It's clear that they're just doing it to say they've done it.

SciTeach

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
NEK
First off.....awesome thread! There is a lot more interest in this topic than I would have ever imagined.

B: I am fortunate enough to wait until the C2D came out for the MacBook before I bought one and I can get the upgrade. I guess I will have to go and return soda bottles for deposit, go to the recycling center with some aluminum cans and get 15 to 20 cents per pound for them. Walk around a couple of grocery store parking lots and find some loose change on the ground (PENNIES!!) and I'll do this riding my bike instead of spending money for a gallon of gas. I will overall spend less time doing that and getting my $1.99 for the upgrade than complaining about the cost of it.

My 2 cents (whoops...need to go find 2 more pennies for the upgrade;) )

asrai

macrumors member
May 11, 2005
oh good grief, are we now complaining because Apple is charging the price of a couple of iTunes songs simply because it has to? This isn't a money-making scheme. This isn't a screw-job to loyal customers.

It's a compliance issue. If it was anything other than this, the fee would still be imposed (because again it has to) but it wouldn't be $1.99, it'd be higher. Don't forget if you have one of these 802.11n capable machines, the fee is NOT so you can use it as you are now. The fee isn't to give you functionality that existed when you purchased your machine under previous pretenses. It's to give you the abililty to use it in a NEW, better, faster (albeit unadvertised) way. You are losing nothing by not paying the fee. You are gaining something by paying the fee. I don't see the problem.

... and there you have it. Well put!!!

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
OK, the computer costs over one thousand whatevers and you get benefits for <£2. Just get over it.

It is not a matter of <$2 or <$0.01. It is a matter or principle. Why, the way I see it this Sarbane-Oxley or whoever that ox ******** guy is, is really a extremely lucrative cash cow.

What's next?

EFI update: mandatory for boot camp support - $5.
Improved power saving firmware - $15.
Fixes so and so bugs - $5

Well when you bought your computer Apple didn't expressedly imply that the loaded software has no bugs. It was presented as it is in the showroom, you came, looked at it, didn't notice any bugs and money exchanged hands at that junction. Subsequently you found the bug and it is affecting your user experience, but Apple cannot provide you with unrealised user experience for free!

If this line of reasoning is extended to everything else it is the beginning of some very dark times.

Okay, but your refund would be $0.00. They would have charged the same amount for the computer regardless. Apple's pricing is at fixed points and an extra dollar somewhere doesn't change the bottom line at the store.

Oh yeah. I forgot Mac retail prices reflect some fictitious figure coined up by some person who spent a few years in business school and have no actual correspondence to reality, thanks for clearing this up.

I propose Apple should just strip their current line into 3 models:

Mac
Portable Mac
Extra portable Mac

Retailing at $5,000, $3500, and $2000 respectively. Each model is speced to perform at 1ghz, 500mhz, and 300mhz for up to 2 hours daily. Additional usage time can be unlocked for $0.10 per hour or $1 for an entire day, and additional clock speed can be unlocked for $1000 per 100mhz. SMP support can be unlocked for a mere $2500, $1500, and $1000 respectively (hey you are getting TWICE the advertised processor!).

Yeah, that is exactly what Apple is doing with the Airport. Shipping crippled hardware, which we paid for, and charging us again to unlock it.

That we know nothing of said hardware is absolutely irrelevant.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
oh good grief, are we now complaining because Apple is charging the price of a couple of iTunes songs simply because it has to? This isn't a money-making scheme. This isn't a screw-job to loyal customers.

It's a compliance issue. If it was anything other than this, the fee would still be imposed (because again it has to) but it wouldn't be $1.99, it'd be higher. Don't forget if you have one of these 802.11n capable machines, the fee is NOT so you can use it as you are now. The fee isn't to give you functionality that existed when you purchased your machine under previous pretenses. It's to give you the abililty to use it in a NEW, better, faster (albeit unadvertised) way. You are losing nothing by not paying the fee. You are gaining something by paying the fee. I don't see the problem.

Wow. Some people will believe anything.

If you all REALLY believe that apple HAS TO charge for this feature then you all are far more gone than I thought.

Geez. If it has to charge a dollar amount they can charge us 1 cent. A charge to enable hardware I already own is a scam and should not be tolerated. I will not pay for it on principle and if that means surfing slower or whatever so be it.

Consumers have the power. USE IT and stop bending over ok.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild

If you all REALLY believe that apple HAS TO charge for this feature then you all are far more gone than I thought.

Geez. If it has to charge a dollar amount they can charge us 1 cent. A charge to enable hardware I already own is a scam and should not be tolerated. I will not pay for it on principle and if that means surfing slower or whatever so be it.

Save it. You are preaching to a bunch of Think Different folks. People who think differently. Bending over and taking it in the rear end is highly subjective. If you think different you might even like it.

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
The analogies are poor. No other hardware feature yet mentioned here was ever added without being announced or reported in advance of its formal adoption in the past 4 years. Until an analogy can meet those criteria, this is wholly unbroken ground.

How about this one :D , where Apple shipped items as one thing, but supplied a better one. Seems about right to me...
here (see also ThinkSecret link)

Double VRAM, faster chip, BlueTooth 2.0 EDR instead of 1.1 (hmm that's even a new wireless standard, dude!), better DVD burner and a faster HD. Packed in the box and not mentioned, as a free upgrade...

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
If anyone doesn't want to shell out a couple of $s they don't have to, don't update. I am happy to, remember the days of 'Free plus Post and Packing' ... ?

Hey, just don't buy it OK? Geez, ... no one is forcing you, stay at g. You got what was advertised at the time you purchased at the price you paid.

Many, many companies over the years sold hardware or software that locked out additional features. Media 100 for example. Pay an additional $4,000 / $6,000 or more for the next level of features that was in the hardware and software you already had. It saved them shipping all new stuff and you could do this quickly with a new patch or even password (I honestly don't recall which now). Seems a similar situation to me and you are griping about two bucks! Again I say ... you don't have to if you don't want to!

fustercluck

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
1.) no you paid for (and received) a g-card. You did NOT pay for an n-card. I disagree. Sorry.

2.) would I be upset if I had to pay to access the extra 100gb I didn't know about? Good question and that would depend on two things. Does the extra 100gb cost me $1.99 and is Apple required to charge me something for accounting purposes. If the answer is yes to both of those, then no I don't think I'd be upset.

I dont' think your analogy is a perfect one (what analogies are), but if the bottom line of this argument is that you're really upset about paying more for a machine than you have to, then I'd advise you complain about Apple earning ridiculously high margins for a machine you did buy rather than charge you a VERY minimal amount for a feature you didn't buy. We may just have to agree to disagree. :)

1) I don't give a **** if you disagree or not, you're wrong. I paid for an N card the proof of which is that I have a ****ing N card in my computer. The fact that it was disabled by Apple is another issue entirely. Or are you trying to tell me that Apple paid g. card prices to its n. card distributor? Are you daft? By that logic a CD chip costs the same as a C2D chip but as we all know there is a premium for the latter. Why on earth (and by what proof, more importantly) are you claiming that an .n card costs the same as a .g card?

2) I still haven't heard that this is definitely an accounting issue. If Apple says that's the case, I would accept that. But they haven't. Until that time, I'm slightly pissed off but more importantly I am concerned what this means in the future regarding their "functionality upgrade" policies.

Some of you people don't get the point. Let me rephrase that: most of you people don't get the point. It's not about paying "only $2, stop your whining." You same idiots will be here complaining when, next year, you have to input your credit card # to get that next Software Update because people like me have grown tired of speaking up and being told to shush.

fustercluck

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
I concur with this opinion 100%. To take it a step further, if you were out to buy a 802.11n card, fustercluck, why did you purchase a laptop with only a -g card inside? The actual make of the chipset was not known at the time of the product's release, it was only after people received theirs and started checking out Windows support on them that this -n support came to light, and even then Apple never stated that they were going to release an update or if they were if there was a charge.

There comes a point where newer technology costs less than older. Like looking for PC10 DIMMs today. Apple might have gotten a great deal on chip sets that happened to support -n when they were only looking for -g chip sets, now Apple must pay you a refund for crippling a product right from the beginning when they delivered the specs they promised?

To use another example, think of mid-level graphics cards that are built using the same PCB and components as high level cards, and can be given more pipes and higher pixel-shader support through simple soldering or other hardware hacks. Using your logic, if the graphics card maker made changes that prevented these hacks from working, they would now owe a refund to everyone who buys the second revision mid-level cards only to find they could not be hacked and they were now stuck with the same mid-level card they bought to begin with.

Like I said, I wouldn't have minded being given g functionality if I were charged for a g card. I paid for an n card. Is that really so hard to understand?

I'm arguing on principle here. Between the "it's only $2, stop complaining" camp and the "you paid for a g card" camp, I'm starting to lose faith in humanity's ability to use logic and reason.

For the last time: I paid for n hardware. I was promised g functionality and currently have g firmware/software, but somewhere in the final cost of my machine, there is payment for a physical N card.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
The funniest thing about this whole situation: the same people bitching about spending $2 for n-capabilities would be bitching that they would have to shell out $70 or so for a whole new Airport card (or worse, that their iMac was now "obsolete"), and that they should have used n-capable chipsets in the first place.

This practice isn't all the uncommon.

fustercluck

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
The funniest thing about this whole situation: the same people bitching about spending $2 for n-capabilities would be bitching that they would have to shell out $70 or so for a whole new Airport card (or worse, that their iMac was now "obsolete"), and that they should have used n-capable chipsets in the first place.

This practice isn't all the uncommon.

Welcome from the hallowed halls of "I missed the point entirely."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.