802.11n

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nc7r, Feb 11, 2007.

1. nc7r macrumors member

nc7r

Basically, I recall being told by an independany Apple retailer in the UK that the MBP's had wireless capabilities, but I think he said 802.11g as standard.

I know the 'n' is the new version, and I believe they charge $1.99 to make it work?

I'm a little confused, as I was under the impression they shipped the MBP's with this slowed Airport Extreme card, then charge you to 'release' the n capabilities?

How come?

Nick.

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i asume they will start advertising them as n soon but its because they have been shipping with them for some time now and they cannot (apparently) just unlock the cards due to advertising them originally as g, due to apple keeping all future products a secret. as silly as all this sounds lol

3. tehybrid macrumors member

nope speakerwizard, you are wrong, when you bought your mac you did not pay for the 802.11n card, you paid for 802.11g and thats what you got, essentially. Well idk if youve heard but Apple is in legal trouble over stock options so they are making sure to cross their t's and dot their i's. By law you must charge for a new feature, ala 802.11n and they decided to ask for $2, enough to cover the cost of creditcard transactions and what not, they really arent making money off of it.:apple:
    though i dont think it is possible to download the enable off any torrents and i do think it needs a special code only avaible to secret ninjas, so i wouldnt try something like thepiratebay to find it, cause you know thats bad

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

When I bought it for my MacBook Pro I was just given a link to download it from in the store receipt, kinda like how when you buy QuickTime Pro they just give you the serial # right in the receipt. It was a .dmg file and acted just like a normal AirPort update. No serial #'s or anything to put in. So I assume that anyone who gets ahold of this updater patch could upgrade their 802.11g card to 802.11n as long as you have a Core 2 Duo/Xeon Mac.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is nonsense. What about saying that you bought the mac paying for iTunes with a list view, and had to pay for CoverFlow...Apple offers iTunes updates free because you expect these kind of software and firmware upgrades when you buy the machine, it is a kind of unwritten agreement...

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Please, lets not start the argument up again as to why Apple charged for this software patch.

Simply put, Its $1.99 to download the enabler patch. But, unless you're going to transfer files back and forth between two 802.11n Macs or Mac/PC's then its useless to even download and install as you won't see any differences, or if you're going to use something like AppleTV.

7. nc7r thread starter macrumors member

nc7r

:( sorry. I didn't realise it had already been argued to it's death.

It was more that the guy from the Apple shop told me, i told my dad, he said it was lucicrus that Apple were charging, I explained that it was apparently due to a law in the USA, and that they had to charge something.

My dad said that was stupid, and that laws dont make companies charge stuff, only cap prices - if ever.

I reckon I won still :p

8. Salteh macrumors member

im right in thinking that this wont work on my original macbook?
    its a core duo bought last may

9. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You are correct. This updater will ONLY work for the Core 2 Duo Macs(iMac rev b, MacBook Rev b, and MacBook Pro rev b) and the new Mac Pro. I think the only Core 2 Duo exception is the 1.83 GHz 17" MBP.

10. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Here

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Note that this is included with the (new) AirPort Extreme, so don't buy it if you're going to get one of those.

13. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

After you pay for it, there will be a link to download it in the receipt. Its a standard .dmg file and acts just like a regular Airport Extreme Software update. Just run the updater and restart.