802.1x Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mnemonic, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Mnemonic macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2007
    Hi everybody, I've got some problem here connecting to the internet from my MBP.
    I recently went to Japan, and I can't connect to my host family's internet.
    All they gave me was this:
    The name of the network
    the type of encryption (WEP)
    the "network key" (whis is a 5-digit numerical string)
    the "key index" (a one-digit number)

All this works fine on windows systems, but there seems to be no way I can connect to it.
    I figured out, that this is actually a 802.1x network, so I went to internet connect, selected "other", just to be able to set the encryption method to 802.1x and entered the "network key" as the User Name and the "key index" as the Password.
    This way I got connected, but had no access to the internet.
    The Network settings tell me that although I am connected to the network, AirPort has got a self-assigned IP adress an may not be able to connect to the internet.
    Then I searched google for instructions on how to enter a 802.1x network and did what it told me to do (an apple.com instruction).
    Still the same results.

What can I do?
  2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    "Network Key" and "Key Index" have nothing to do with 802.1x network security. 802.1x is an Authentication System whereby you supply User Credentials in the form of a username and a password. These credentials are verified by an Authentication Server before granting you access to the network.

802.1x systems are very secure, and they are great for managing large numbers of users. You can grant/deny access to a single user rather than relying on a pre-shared key that everybody knows.

To make use of the "Network Key" and "Key Index" that you were given, you will need a small utility to generate a 40 bit or 104 bit hexadecimal string. xwepgen is one such tool. Once you have this hexadecimal string, you need to copy it and paste it into the "Password" field of the Airport window when you join the network. Make sure you select WEP 40/128-bit HEX as the security type.
  3. Mnemonic thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2007
    That's exactly the kind of advice I need!
    Thanks a lot!:)
    I'll try this as soon as possible.

(another PKD fan?;) )