80GB iMac Hard Drive and Final Cut Express Use

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by anastasis, Apr 2, 2004.

1. anastasis macrumors member

Is this enough space for my students to work with Final Cut Express or should I have gone with the 160 GB one?

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

i think its 13GB per hour of DV. you can always add extra FW driver as you need them. Though it is recomended that you have your media on a different disk to your system disk.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

A good rule of thumb is to have 5 times more disk space than you project will take up. So if you have a 2 hour movie, a 120GB disk will be minimally acceptable. That's a dedicated 120GB--no OS or other files. As Evil Santa said, a dedicated disk is the best way to go.

4. anastasis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. It will be no problem for me to pick up a couple of 150 gig firewire drives for next year. Maybe even one for the Dual G5 they are buying me too! :)

5. mnstr_trd_sd macrumors regular

mnstr_trd_sd

I am a student and we use FCP 4 on Powermacs with 60Gig hardrives at school. Ram is what is important, at least 512. At home i've got one of my powermac quicksilvers running FCP4 on a single 933 and a dual 1.44. I find with maxed out ram(1.5Gig) on a single 933, FCP 4 can be a bit tempermental but on the dual, it flys. I suggest using duals.

I've tried using FC Express on my single and it worked fine. The only thing is, once my files started getting realy big, FC started running slower. It could be because of the single processor and the out dated video card though. I hope this helped. :D

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Video card isn't a factor. Processor and RAM are going to be a big deal. But if you have 1 drive with everything it's going to get accessed a lot. The OS has to use it for normal operations, FCP will access the media on it, and then virtual memory is going to keep hitting the drive. That'll slow everything right down and the bigger the FCP file the slower it'll get.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi