80GB iPod Backlight Stays on while charging?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DietVanillaMack, Sep 19, 2006.

1. DietVanillaMack macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2006
    Just got by 80GB today.

It appears that the backlight stays on (granted it eventually goes into a dimmer mode) the whole time the unit is docked or variously plugged in to a USB port. This appears to be the case even if the backlight is turned off in "settings" on the iPod itself.

Is this right or have I missed something? Why would the light not eventually shut down? I can see this being annoying when I use it docked as an alarm clock. . .

Anyone have any wisdom on this?
  2. 748s macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2001
    Tiger Bay
    I would say it is normal.
    when in the dock, my 5G 60gb backlight would turn off.
    since the software update last week the backlight stays on but is dim (half strength?).
  3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    My 30gb video just started doing this after the newest update, but only while it's mounted. Well, either that or it freezes on the Do Not Disconnect sign. My temporary solution is to not keep my iPod mounted.
  4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
  5. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    My 80 gig does this as well. (Upgraded from iPod Photo, the 5th gen screen rocks! :cool: )
  6. AdgeT macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2006

I just got an 80 gig video iPod and my screen stays lit up while charging, which seems counter-productive. Basically the iPod is running at all times because the screen is always on, and thus it has to continuously charge.

Has anybody figured out a way to turn this feature off, or is just something we'll have to ask Apple to include in the next iPod software update?

EDIT: Let me just clarify that when I plug the iPod in to my USB cable, the backlight turns on for a few seconds, then dims but does not turn off. I could understand the display staying on without the backlight on, as my iPod mini does that, but is there anyway to turn the backlight off completely while the iPod is plugged in?
  7. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

Mar 6, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Yep, i got my 80 a week to the day after it came out, the new update enables this. Im glad it does. It was such a hassle to squint into he screen to see if the iPod is updating or not!