80GB iPod skipping to next song in the middle of playing

Discussion in 'iPod' started by michaelsaxon, Mar 17, 2007.

1. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2006
    My 80GB occasionally skips to the next song in the middle of playing the current one. I can return to the song and try again, but it keeps doing it. I have not yet noticed this happening on any of my imported CDs, but only on some songs that I've bought from iTunes.

I've searched the forums and Google and haven't found anything useful. Does anyone have any similar problem or know of a solution? Thanks!
  2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

Jan 11, 2006
    Round Lake, IL
    This has been happening with my Shuffle lately as well. Have you tried playing the song that is skipping in iTunes? How about deleting and then adding the song back to the iPod?
  3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    try getting info on the song, and under "options," see if the stop time has been set to end earlier than it's supposed to. this happened to me last night with one of my songs.
  4. michaelsaxon thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2006
    Yes, it plays fine in iTunes and, no, I hadn't deleted it and recopied it. I will try that shortly. Thanks.
  5. dokus macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2007
    How to fix iTunes & iPod when it skips or stops

I've struggled with the same problem. However, my iPod and iTunes seem to be linked: when my iPod skips a song or two, or stops playing in the middle of a song, iTunes does the same for that same song. There is no telling which songs it will be, but it happens almost daily. Sometimes it happens with songs I've played many times before. Sometimes it happens with new songs. And it has happened consistently regardless of how many times I installed the latest version of iTunes.

I emailed Apple tech support but they were worthless, they sent me a document explaining how to import a CD into iTunes. Thanks. For nothing.

The "solution" is maddeningly simple for Mac OSX:

- In Finder, using the Column view, open iTunes > iTunes Music > _the artist_ > _the album_ > _songs on that album_

- SINGLE-CLICK the song that won't play right. The preview player should appear in the column to its right.

- CONGRATULATIONS. THAT SONG IS FIXED. Now do it for any other songs that don't work. No, I'm not kidding. You can accomplish the same thing by clicking Get Info in Finder for any song that's acting up.

- On rare occasions, an MP3 or M4A logo will appear instead of the preview player. In this case, you have NOT fixed it, iTunes will still act weird. You might try rebooting or you may have to try reimporting that song.

Fixing it this way in iTunes, your iPod should work once you've updated it.

Am I crazy, or is this just ridiculous?