80GB vs 100GB - Where does all the space go?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Mar 14, 2006.

1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2006
    East Coast, US
    Serious video editing requires a lot more than 100GB, so I use an external drive for all my editing (300GB in a FW/USB combo enclosure).

Music takes up space, but I only have 4-6GB of music

Photos take up space, but my 13000+ photo library only takes up 12GB.

Admittedly, I'm picky as to which apps I have installed, but my Applications folder only has 10GB used.

I consider myself a serious computer nerd, but I don't see how 100GB really is that much more helpful than 80GB. For $100, you can get a 160GB external drive (or even a 60GB pocket drive).
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  3. Peyton macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Yeah, isn't that a law or something "you'll always expand to fit the space available" I might be out of my mind officially tho.
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

A gaseous law maybe? :cool:
  5. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Glad I didn't buy those size 60 jeans.:eek:
  6. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Yes, the renowned ancient Roman scientist Gaseous Flatulate came up with that law.

You and me both. :D
    *asks the nice man to loosen straight jacket or press ""submit" for me*
  7. plinkoman macrumors 65816

Jul 2, 2003
    New York
    i always opt for the biggest available hd size, as i always find a way to use it all. that law definately applies to me. :cool:

i'm just wondering when i'll next run out of room. i have a total of .96TB of storage space now, but nearly two thirds of it is full and i keep chipping away at the rest.