81 Days To Go Before New Macs Are Introduced

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BestBuyBoy, Mar 22, 2007.

1. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

I am so tired of waiting for anything to come out of Apple about improvements in the mini or iMac that I have simply said... no matter what, in 81 days from today Steve Jobs will announce a new OS and the mini will have the core 2 duo and the imac will probably be black.... from now on.. my daily checking into this board is going to be far less frequent... see ya in 81 days... ah.. now I can sleep in for the next 11 tuesdays.....

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i can understand. keeping up with macrumors every day has made me antsy about leopard's release. ah, the bliss of ignorance.

3. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

the longer it takes to get out, the more i think that these secret features are going to be awesome. if they are less than spectacular than they wouldn't probably be taking so long...

but in reality, who knows? i certainly don't. i just want some sweet new features...

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Have A Nice Spring!

Well from where I'm sitting this is all I have left of a social life so I'll be around making the HC7 thread bigger, better and more popular than ever. :p

I love this place. I'm a MacRumors.com-aholoic. ;)

Oh yeah, see you April 15. You're not going to ignore the Sunday April 15 Apple NAB Event 11AM PDT are you?

5. BestBuyBoy thread starter macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

zzzzzzzz... it would just be another oh oh oh oh... nothing... If I pick up the NYT and if I see something on page 14 about "Apple revised iMac line" i'll be sure to pop in here and eat some crow.. otherwise.. see ya in 81 days.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I don't think they are going to announce all the hardware and the OS at once...they get more media impact if they spread it out. I'm guessing Pro Apps at NAB, then Mac Pros (maybe also at NAB), MacBook Pro in May, Leopard first week of June, new iMacs at WWDC, then iPhone, then MacBooks in the middle of July. That gets them six news stories instead of two...and gives each product time of the Apple.com homepage.

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Sunday April 15 11AM PDT NAB Apple Event Will Be Awesome

It's being held in a sold out 80,000 square foot ballroom. SOLD OUT. It ain't gonna be a snoozer at all no way.

8. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I just want new Mac Pros. I've been waiting since November. This sucks. Hopefully Apple updates them in, lets say, 14-21 days instead of 81 days. :confused: :apple:

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Apple seem to have forgotten about computers :eek:

FJ

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

do we know who's giving the keynote yet? if it isn't steve jobs, then i wouldn't hold my breath.

11. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

I don't understand this comment. The only line they could possibly update right now would be the Mac Pro which is coming at NAB more than likely. Sure, they could have introduced it earlier, but with creative professionals holding out for CS3 anyways, it made since to wait. As for the other lines, what could they update them with? Intel's newest chipset isn't even shipping yet.

12. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Father Jack Has No Patience

They'e working their asses off to give us the best next versions ever and you have to poop in the middle of their hard work. I find your comment impossible to comprehend. The only explanation is you have ZERO Patience. :rolleyes:

13. BigPrince macrumors 68020

The only thing thats really frustrating me is all these noobs asking "Is now an ok time to buy" and etc.

DO SOME FORUM SEARCHING YOU SILLY NOOBS.

14. BestBuyBoy thread starter macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

I don't understand yours... the Macmini is running a core duo for god sakes....

15. BestBuyBoy thread starter macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

What is most puzzeling to me is how Apple convinces 12,000 workers to keep their mouths shut... God knows everyone working on that campus knows whats coming down the pike in a month.. from the lonley book keeper who signs off on the invoices for the new cardboard boxes to the security guard who while doing his rounds has begun to notice all these new black cases that say iMac on them... amazing... Apple must have a lot of "cool aid"dispensers throughout the plant.....

16. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Actually on "secret" projects often times Apple Employees have no clue whos working on the project and these projects are conducted as much as possible off campus at undisclosed locations. Its only until very late in the process do things come apparent and thats when we start getting the rumors.

As we saw with the iPhone, there were purposeful FAKE prototypes just to throw people off.

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Add in the "cult of mac" and the threat of losing your job and it's not too hard to understand.

18. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

No, he's right. They haven't updated the Macs nearly enough since the Intel switch. The mini's still at CD. The iMac is still using the same GPU as when it was released. They've not done anything to update the systems in any significant way in 15 months. That's a LONG time. Apple's all about iPods and iPhones and set top boxes now, apparently.

19. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

The iMac doesn't need updating, and the Mini just needs the Core 2, although that won't make it that much faster.

Waiting 81 days for a small improvement that may or may not occur means you don't really want to buy the Mac in the first place.

20. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Exactly!

21. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

Yeah!

(so do you think i should wait or buy now?) :D

22. hal0n macrumors regular

wait until tuesday at least. i hear the powerbook g5 is coming out.

23. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The iMac could get a better GPU, for starters. They could update the enclosure and stop using stupid laptop CPUs, as mentioned, and provide some real performance (for less cost!). Or they could drop the prices, since they're not providing all that much value currently.

The mini needs a C2D (which will up speed without increasing price at all - take a look at the Intel price sheets), it needs a better GPU (which we will have to wait for the x3000 to get). 802.11n would be nice. They could just plain drop the price. They could offer a full sized HDD and really up the ante performance wise.

Apple switched to Intel and as such is now expected to compete update wise with the rest of computer world. The old update once every 8 months because IBM finally releases a faster G5 doesn't cut it anymore. They need to be bumping CPU speeds, offering the latest and greatest GPUs to Mac Pro users (at least), dropping prices, and other wise being competitive if they want to stay a viable choice for switchers.

24. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

25. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Apple Can Only Change As Quickly As Intel Does

I don't see it that way at all. Everything was moved to C2D in September-October except the mini. I'll give you it is a surprise they didn't take the mini to C2D by December. But maybe Apple was offered such a deal on the old CDs that they couldn't refuse to keep it down while they make a few dollars more per unit - which could be a lot considering how many they sell every day. So from a business point of view I can see why they may have decided to wait for X3000 before putting C2D into the mini.

I'd much rather blame Intel for any delays although I don't really do that either because I see these companies as two groups of people - human beings - doing the best they can to serve us all as well as any two groups of human beings on the planet can. These changes take a lot of time to happen because they are truly monumental engineering achievements that none of us should trivialize nor take for granted. I think the fact that we have both a new operating system AND a new mobile foundation (Santa Rosa) on the horizon makes the hardware situation understandable. For example, if the 8 core Mac Pro ships before Leopard is released, I don't think I'd buy it until it does - not just because I'd save $129 plus the cost of iLife '07 - because I expect much better multicore management to be built into Leopard so I'm not interested in a Tiger based 8-core Mac Pro.

Now maybe I'm thinking differently than everyone else. ;) But I don't see the problem with Apple wanting to wait to release new hardware before Intel is fully ramped up enough to keep up with Apple's needs for chips as well as Apple wanting to wait until they finish Leopard - not that it will ever be really finished - to ship the next round of refreshes with Leopard instead of Tiger. From a customer service point of view that would make a lot more sense. Shipping new Macs now with Tiger could be a PR nightmare of the first magnitude when only a few weeks later everyone is asked to step up to the plate and anti up another $200 for Leopard/iLife '07. No I think Apple is doing the right thing. They Think Differently too. :D :eek: :)