Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The delivery of the Core i7-based iMacs have generated the usual discussion threads about unboxing, impressions and benchmarks. The performance of the high-end iMacs have been of particular interest due to the incorporation of typically desktop-class processors into Apple's consumer line.

Various Geekbench and Cinebench scores for the new i7 iMacs have been reported. The best visual representation is provided by this blog entry at Timon-Royer.com which compiled this Geekbench scores across all currently shipping iMacs:

043238-imac-core-i7-core-i5-benchmarks.jpg

Longer bars are better with the new i7 iMac (green) performing significantly better than the Core 2 Duo (notebook-class) 21.5" iMacs. The i7 even represents a sizable (35%) performance increase over the i5 model and costs only $200 more. In fact, the i7 iMac benchmarks compare favorably to 2.93Ghz Quad-Core Mac Pro which costs significantly more.
Mac Buyer's Guide: iMac

Article Link: Core i7-Based 27" iMac Benchmarks Show Significant Improvements

MartinAyla

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
When the time comes, I will upgrade the CPU inside to the latest socket 1156 processor (they are not soldered) and then, while I'm at it, put in an SSD (which is probably a lot cheaper by then).

This will be a great update and keep the 27" alive a while longer :)

greatcaffeine

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2009
My Core i7 iMac shows significant signs of DOA... now I'll probably have to wait another month to get a replacement. :mad:

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
I get double the score on my mac pro '08, pretty sad if the i7's are such crap in the iMacs

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I get double the score on my mac pro '08, pretty sad if the i7's are such crap in the iMacs

You are calling the i7 crap because an eight core Mac is twice as fast as one with four cores?

Anyway, you must have a very unusual MacPro, because this is completely contradicted by the published Geekbench results.

simsandwhich

macrumors member
May 20, 2009

More money than sense. Of course your computer is going to be faster if you paid $1000s more. Seriously. This is the stupidest thing I've read in a long time.

IMPMAC

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Soon as they have an SSD option on iMacs, I will be getting one. ETA: 2 Years and counting

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Soon as they have an SSD option on iMacs, I will be getting one. ETA: 2 Years and counting

Same here. Hopefully by then there will also be some better graphic cards and they will move away from using the mobility versions.

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
I'll be dead before that happens... and I'm still a teenager.

Well if Apple continues to make the screen bigger there will be more space to insert desktop parts, so I don't think it will be far off. I'm sure if there was a 30-inch iMac they could find a way to shove a desktop GPU in there.

Toxman

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
OT: Ratings

What is it with the ratings for the news posts? How can there be four *negative* ratings for this story? It always boggles my mind at what people will rate as a negative. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.