Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
UK
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Planes, trains & automobiles

Or any other type of vehicle. Whatever floats your boat!

A list of previous contests and their winners can be found here.

~ May 28 - June 4: Theme - Narrative, Winner - apearlman
~ June 5 - June 11: Theme - Oops, Winner - mickbab
~ June 14 - June 21: Theme - Speed, Winner - Maxxamillian
~ June 22 - June 29: Theme - Temptation, Winner - jrotunda85
~ June 30 - July 7: Theme - Beaches, Winner - jrm27 (Second Place - Mr Ski 73)
~ July 8 - July 15: Theme - Dogs, Winner - Maxxamillian
~ July 16 - July 23: Theme - People Movers, Winner - davegregory
~ July 24 - July 31: Theme - Support, Winner - mickbab
~ August 1 - August 8: Theme - Flight, Winner - NStocks
~ August 10 - August 17: Theme - Water in Motion, Winner - TheReef
~ August 18 - August 25: Theme - Reflection, Winner - alvse (Second Place - deepdiver)
~ August 27 - September 3: Theme - Fire, Winner - dmmcintyre3
~ September 4 - September 11: Theme - Really Slow or Fast Shutter, Winner - emorydunn
~ September 12 - September 19: Theme - Footsteps, Winner - mickbab
~ September 21 - September 28: Theme - Lost, Winner - Nicolasdec
~ September 29 - October 5: Theme - Rain, Winner - liljohnny51
~ October 8 - October 14: Theme - Pumpkins, Winner - sleepypanda
~ October 17 - October 24: Theme - Panorama, Winner - flosseR
~ October 26th - November 3rd - Food, Winner - Chappers
~ November 4th - November 11th - Animals, Winner - Pigbat
~ November 12th - 19th - Abandoned, Winner - NathanCH
~ November 22nd -29th - Nocturnal, Winner - Mhami

mhami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
UK
Here's one to get us started

My beloved campervan at the beach...

Attachments

• camper.jpg
    camper.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 205

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
6039 With Plant (Take 2)

Steam engine #6039 on static display at Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, Pa. Mother nature's decided it may make a good planter.

6039-with-plant_2.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Leaf spring assembly from the Empire State Express 999 -- the first machine to break the 100 mph barrier.

Attachments

• Train Spring.jpg
    Train Spring.jpg
    954.3 KB · Views: 166

magnetdoc13

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007
VW Buses on the Oregon Coast

How many VW buses do you see?

Attachments

• 3-VW-Buses.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 211

jman2010

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Sorry, newbie question here -- feel free to PM me if you don't want to clutter up the thread!

How much PhotoShopping is allowed in this contest? I have a car photo I am thinking about entering that has been edited.

Nothing major, just subtle lighting effects with layering/blending of multiple exposures (HDR, sort of), and then basic lens distortion corrections (rotate, de-pincushion, perspective adjustment and removing chromatic aberrations)

Thanks in advance!

Big J.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Sorry, newbie question here -- feel free to PM me if you don't want to clutter up the thread!

How much PhotoShopping is allowed in this contest? I have a car photo I am thinking about entering that has been edited.

Nothing major, just subtle lighting effects with layering/blending of multiple exposures (HDR, sort of), and then basic lens distortion corrections (rotate, de-pincushion, perspective adjustment and removing chromatic aberrations)

Thanks in advance!

Big J.
Can't PM you or email but not important. I don't see a rule banning PhotoShopping - so for me its cool. However, I don't see a rule stopping you from entering a photo by your Aunty Sally.......... but I guess in the end common sense will win out.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009

Thanks in advance!

Big J.

I'm not a regular here, but I would say that the image has to originate from a camera, and after that the rest is art.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.