Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released four software updates, one AirPort client update targeting Snow Leopard users and three firmware updates addressing optical disk drive noise on a number of the company's computers.

- AirPort Client Update 2009-002 (12.95 MB) addresses several issues experienced by users of Mac OS X Snow Leopard related to wireless networking.This update is recommended for all Macintosh computers running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and includes fixes for the following:

- Inability to turn AirPort on or off in some cases after upgrading from Mac OS X Leopard
- An occasional loss of network connection when using Wake on Demand
- Inability to create a computer-to-computer network, or share the Internet connection on some MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini computers
- Individual firmware updates for the MacBook (MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.4, 3.14 MB) and MacBook Pro (MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.8, 3.36 MB) work with the separate SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0 (18.35 MB) to address optical disk drive noises on Apple computers.This update will eliminate the noise made by the optical disk drive during system startup and wake from sleep on your Mac. This update works with the following EFI updates:

iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.4
Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2
MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.4
MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.8Full details on the SuperDrive firmware update are available in the associated support document. The update was previously offered in association with the August release of Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2, and iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.4 was released in May.

Article Link: Apple Releases AirPort Software Update, Firmware Updates Addressing SuperDrive Noise

yoyomaster

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2009
my superdrive still makes noise on start ups and wake ups, so I don't exactly know if it fixed it for my umb.

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
England
Damn not for mine

My Macbook 4,1 has had a seriously loud superdrive upon wake up etc, but this isn't for it!:mad: I think i might have to replace it once I have enough money.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
It fixed my noise on wake (knock on wood!) but not start up. The previous SuperDrive 3.0 update didn't even start, this is great! My old firmware was 2AHC.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Installed all the updates.

Result: Quiet wake-up on MacBook Pro 5,2 (17" ubMBP Early 2009). It's kinda strange, since I've grown so accustomed to the sound.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
It fixed my noise on wake (knock on wood!) but not start up. The previous SuperDrive 3.0 update didn't even start, this is great! My old firmware was 2AHC.

Same here, so I'm pleased this worked, though it didn't exactly fix the issue!

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Same here, eliminated the noise only on wake on my uMBP 5,1. Startup/restart still makes the sound.

BigJimmyC

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
I hope this update will stop my wireless network connection from periodically needing to be "repaired." It's been a major pain in the ass since updating to 10.6.

Toeknee

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
my superdrive still makes noise on start ups and wake ups, so I don't exactly know if it fixed it for my umb.

After you install the EFI update you have to download and install the Superdrive update...I thought the same thing until I realize that the EFI lets the SD Update run and fix the noise issue.

Hope this help! :D

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
My Macbook 4,1 has had a seriously loud superdrive upon wake up etc, but this isn't for it!:mad: I think i might have to replace it once I have enough money.

Same here. I was really hoping they'd address this. Sometimes it sounds like the drive is just gonna give up. Every time I open it, reeeerrrr-eeeeurrrrrrrrrrrr. Sometimes long, sometimes short.

Fatdog

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2003
Texas
After you install the EFI update you have to download and install the Superdrive update...I thought the same thing until I realize that the EFI lets the SD Update run and fix the noise issue.

Thanks for mentioning that! I didn't realize the EFI update and SuperDrive updates were separate. Solved a lot of confusion I had as to why my superdrive hasn't updated. :eek:

yoyomaster

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks! I misread and didn't know they were separate updates.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I thought it was normal for macs to make that strange sound. I though of it more as a feature.

SimonJ

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Czech Republic
I'm grateful that the wake up noise is gone, but this update was supposed to get rid of the start up one, too. Oh well, better than nothing, I guess.

This is on MacBook 5,1

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I am still having the SuperDrive make noise on startup like others. However, the sleep noise is gone. It seems kinda weird that it is not there, but it is much better!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Really Apple? Really?

The noise from the Superdrive was something so horrible it required you to work on it?

Really?

This was a priority?

I bet Steve just got jack of the tiny amount of noise from his laptop he stole the whole software division to fix it.

Gyrferret

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
I've always kinda disliked the loudness of it all. Especially trying to *discreetly* open my MacBook in the middle of class. Nu-uh. Forget about that. Might as well have a boeing 747 touch down....
EDIT: Like some of you, my 5,1 MB is only noise-less while waking up. That's all that really matters to me. Although, it feels weird not having it make any noise. Kinda..... strange. Like a familiar being has left your life....

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I have updated and while there is no noise when waking from sleep, there is still a noise when powering on/restarting. Something is dodgy about this update; I'd hold off a while on updating. Apple will probably pull it and fix the issue.

j-traxx

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2005
California
bootcamp problem

now everytime i try to boot up it automatically boots into my bootcamp partition. i dont know what to do right now. i cant boot into osx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.