Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelaney123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
I purchased a 20" 1.8 w/ 1GB RAM and 250GB Hard Disk at 3:27am Pacific...

You?

:)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
mdelaney123 said:
I purchased a 20" 1.8 w/ 1GB RAM and 250GB Hard Disk at 3:27am Pacific...

You?

:)
apple ram??!! :eek: :eek:
btw, does anyone know whether you can yank the drive and put in a 400gb hitachi or a 74gb 10k drive? not that its of any interest to me but just curious.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
homerjward said:
btw, does anyone know whether you can yank the drive and put in a 400gb hitachi or a 74gb 10k drive? not that its of any interest to me but just curious.

I doubt people will really know what you can and can't do with the new iMac until they ship.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Buyer's remorse??

I got a 512 Ram, 17" superdrive with bluetooth and airport set up this evening.

I was really, really happy until I just got a belated reply email from a classified ad for an ibook 500 mhz powerbook g3 for $350. It needs a new battery and has a thin line going down the bottom of the lcd. (What do you all think of that price?)

Not that I prefer this to my ordered imac but it reminded me that this search began because I needed to access my aol saved files at work due to a windows environment. I really don't need all of this, but I thought it was a great price. It inched up to 1900 education price at the apple store.

That guilty reality is trying to move in on my parade.

:eek:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
brobson said:
I got a 512 Ram, 17" superdrive with bluetooth and airport set up this evening.

I was really, really happy until I just got a belated reply email from a classified ad for an ibook 500 mhz powerbook g3 for $350. It needs a new battery and has a thin line going down the bottom of the lcd. (What do you all think of that price?)

Not that I prefer this to my ordered imac but it reminded me that this search began because I needed to access my aol saved files at work due to a windows environment. I really don't need all of this, but I thought it was a great price. It inched up to 1900 education price at the apple store.

That guilty reality is trying to move in on my parade.

:eek:
NO!!! Don't cancel the order! We worked too hard to get you to buy a new Mac, brobson! ;) Seriously, though, you will love the new iMac. You'd merely like the old G3... :)

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
ORDER DATE: 08/31/04 - 02:45 PM Pacific Standard Time

IMG5 17/1.8
512MB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
80GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
AirPort Extreme Card
Bluetooth Module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
Accessory kit

Can't w8!!!

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
homerjward said:
apple ram??!! :eek: :eek:

Upgrading the iMac to 1gig costs $225 from Apple. At Crucial.com, two sticks of 512mb RAM for the G5 iMac costs $186.

Buying from Apple costs $39 more. (Not to mention, it's installed and covered under AppleCare).

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Thanks JSW

I do feel like you all sweated this one out with me!!!! And what an education I got from especially you and others!
Thanks again!

It's my schoolteacher frugality rearing it's ugly head.

I am going to take my (strangely clunky looking now) 333 imac to school and as you said "no one will steal it" Heck, I can hardly carry it.
Funny thing is, this new model looks like a stand up laptop. It's hard to imagine how all that can be packed into this unit!

But the price was the clincher when I was pricing G4 notebooks.

I'm sure tomorrow I will be thrilled again it was just such coincedental timing.

Just for grins, do you think it is a good deal for my son or something?
Brenda

starcrossed

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
San Antonio,TX
Congratulations everyone on ordering your new iMac G5. I just wish I could do the same as well, but I just bought a new Powerbook and a new car, so it looks like i will have to wait awhile till I can get my hands on my very own iMac G5. :(

BigEvan23

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
IM GOING MAC CRAZY

In July I purchased a 15" PB 1.5/1GB/128VRAM/80GB@5400
then picked up a new 23" cinema display
Now the 17" 1.8 G5
Just waiting on the Dual 3.0 G5 to complete the lineup! My 1.5ghz G4 upgrade sawtooth tower is looking less appealing every day with the aluminum starting to take over my desk!

Evan

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Flowbee said:
Upgrading the iMac to 1gig costs $225 from Apple. At Crucial.com, two sticks of 512mb RAM for the G5 iMac costs $186.

Buying from Apple costs $39 more. (Not to mention, it's installed and covered under AppleCare).
well yes...but it's usually significantly more expensive. plus crucial ram (if u do the configurator deal) is covered by crucial. and check this out:
designopenanim20040831.gif

im sorry if i came across sounding hostile or something, it's hard to use a particular tone of voice online :eek:

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Haven't ordered it yet, might not for a month or two (gotta save up some more money first), but I'll get the 17" 1.8 GHz with a gig of RAM, Airport Extreme card, and maybe Bluetooth card. With tax and edu. discount, should be a bit over $1800.

DrPepper

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2004
Arizona
Flowbee said:

u failed to mention the 1 gb at crucial.com is 1 stick

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Exactly. To upgrade with Apple, they're taking away the 256MB of RAM stick they would have normally given you anyway, and are giving you 2x 512MB sticks of RAM. The cost to you may be very similar, but I don't like to let Apple get away with crap like that. They're charging you more, and saving even MORE money by keeping that 256MB of RAM for themselves. Since you have 2 RAM slots, you may as well have kept the 256MB of RAM and installed the 1GB stick on your own. That's 1.28GB of RAM. ;)

Again, never let Apple pocket more of your money by purchasing RAM off them.

DrPepper

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2004
Arizona
Abstract said:
Exactly. To upgrade with Apple, they're taking away the 256MB of RAM stick they would have normally given you anyway, and are giving you 2x 512MB sticks of RAM. The cost to you may be very similar, but I don't like to let Apple get away with crap like that. They're charging you more, and saving even MORE money by keeping that 256MB of RAM for themselves. Since you have 2 RAM slots, you may as well have kept the 256MB of RAM and installed the 1GB stick on your own. That's 1.28GB of RAM. ;)

Again, never let Apple pocket more of your money by purchasing RAM off them.
whats the cheapest you guys have seen some "good pc3200" 1gb sticks?

so i can get up 2 1.28gb :p

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
So now that apple came out with a new imac my parents want a mac mainly because me and my brother have macs with isights to talk while where away at college. my parents want a mac mainly for this perpuse :rolleyes: Maybe do taxs, MS word maybe but doubtfully use ilife.... Do you think this G5 is over the top? Would an emac do?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Try OWC. Same warranty, and hell, they even sell Samsung RAM for cheap, which is what Apple uses anyway. :p OWC is also highly recommended for RAM. They offer the same Crucial warranty, and sell different types of RAM.

I'm going to QUOTE something I just posted in another thread. Its what I think, and I can't say it any better.

Abstract said:
I've always wondered the same thing, but wasn't knowledgeable enough to question the people who told me to buy Crucial when I switched. I didn't even know the RAM company mattered until people here made a big huff and puff about it. Most people don't even know why they're telling you to buy from Crucial, but since they read other posts here that always recommend Crucial, they'll tell you that "you need to get Crucial because they're great!!" Its a snowball effect.

Quality differences: will cheaper RAM break on contact? No. Will it work? Yes. Crucial makes faulty RAM sometimes, so if cheaper RAM doesn't work, exchange it. Will Crucial offer better performance and avoid kernel panics? Also, how much better will performance be? A 1GB stick from Crucial may be 5% better than a 1GB stick from OWC, but surely two 1GB sticks of OWC RAM will offer wicked performance when compared to 1 stick of Crucial RAM. ;) A 1GB stick of RAM for PBooks from Crucial: $520. Samsung RAM from OWC....$350. Other brands from OWC.... around $250. Big difference.

Although I still recommend Crucial to N00bs, I'm buying my 1GB stick of PB RAM at OWC. There's not enough of a difference in performance and reliability to pay an extra $200 on top of the $260 you're already paying. :eek:

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
aswitcher said:
Any aussie buyers recommend places which are giviong good quotes on iMac G5s?

AppleCentre Chatswood (aka: http://www.macmall.com.au) always seem to offer a discount off RRP. They sent me an e-mail this afternoon advertising the 17" 1.6GHz version for $2165.90, the 17" 1.8GHz for $2453.00, and the 20" 1.8GHz for $3144.90.

Of course the best standing discount available is to be a student. Educational prices (from Apple's web site) are 17" 1.6GHz for $1978.90, 17" 1.8GHz for $2249.50 and the 20" 1.8GHz for $2878.70.

Sorry Apple...you almost had me offloading my big'n'beautiful PowerMac G5 1.6GHz and 19" CRT on eBay to buy a svelte'n'sexy iMac G5...but not with that video chip!

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
oingoboingo said:
AppleCentre Chatswood (aka: http://www.macmall.com.au) always seem to offer a discount off RRP. They sent me an e-mail this afternoon advertising the 17" 1.6GHz version for $2165.90, the 17" 1.8GHz for $2453.00, and the 20" 1.8GHz for $3144.90.

Of course the best standing discount available is to be a student. Educational prices (from Apple's web site) are 17" 1.6GHz for $1978.90, 17" 1.8GHz for $2249.50 and the 20" 1.8GHz for $2878.70.

Sorry Apple...you almost had me offloading my big'n'beautiful PowerMac G5 1.6GHz and 19" CRT on eBay to buy a svelte'n'sexy iMac G5...but not with that video chip!

Yeah Macmall do good prices and I get allot of stuff from them but I know Nextbyte price match and do deals to get business so I'll be asking them both for quotes. Anyway ~$50 is all the are offering and no special package deals or anything so I hope to find some other Sydney sellers who are interested in competative quoting...

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
aswitcher said:
Yeah Macmall do good prices and I get allot of stuff from them but I know Nextbyte price match and do deals to get business so I'll be asking them both for quotes. Anyway ~$50 is all the are offering and no special package deals or anything so I hope to find some other Sydney sellers who are interested in competative quoting...

So are you looking seriously at an iMac G5 then? Soooo compelling in many ways, but after a year of Mac-gaming on a Radeon 9600 Pro I can't justify going backwards to an nVidia FX 5200. What level of system are you looking at?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.