875 songs in one DVD!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mymemory, Feb 10, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Ok, as I'm prepare to leave to the US some day this year... I decided that I can't leave my music behind, so many cd's, my entire live finding them, I have about over 100 easy.

So, I took booth of my Powerbooks (Pismos) and my dual 500 powermac ,sellect iTunes, sellect the Dual 500 hard drive using the net work and started to drop all the CD's I have in to mp3 to the Dual 500. It took me 2 1/2 days transfering all the CD's using the 3 iTunes of the 3 computers.

Right now I'm burning the MP3s in to a DVD disc, 4.4 GB at 180bit/sec, stereo mp3 format.

Why would I need more than a 5 GB iPod for music? I know I can storage tons of other stuff in it but I'm saving musica that I won't be listening in years!

I just dump my entire Depeche Mode collection, over 40 CD's !!! I have every single album and every single single too, plus Erasure, Petshop Boys, A-Ha, Poul Okenfold, etc.

At list is cool I was able to do all that and put them in a single disc.
  2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Re: 875 songs in one DVD!

Does your CD Player allow playing of DVD's? on it?

Well have a good trip bad, you will be missed.
  3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    Depeche Mode & Paul Oakenfold?

hmm...u got my attention there!! :D
  4. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    here is why you need a bigger iPod then 5 GB...

I have 3994 songs @ 160 bits....that takes up 18.13 GB's right there....
  5. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I must say, I'm just hovering under the 20GB mark with roughly 4000 songs. Do I listen to all of them? No, so you have a very good point :p.

6. yzedf macrumors 65816

Nov 1, 2002
    number of songs is important, but so is the rate at which they are encoded.

128bit is smaller than 160, but doesn't sound as good.

that is why you see such different numbers as far as songs/GB.

10GB seems to be most popular for the iPod amongst people I know. about 1/2 music, and 1/2 random stuff, including iCal etc.
  7. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Well... problems begin

I just burned my first DVD. I'm doing everything in a DVD just for back up, I do not have DVD player, I may install all the musica back later but to back up is very important.

Any way, there are songs that doesn't want to be copied, they run perfectly from the CD player but I can't transfer them to the HD. Looks like is a problem with the song only.

Now, that problem caused that the DVD get stuck we realoding the files back to the HD. So, I'm playing all the songs back again (the 800+) and chack them againg. It is not that hard because those damage files show 0k size or 4k size and are easy to locate.

Now, I'm deleting some songs I do not really like and re-coping other ones because I used a very low rate in some CD's and I can tell the diference.

Well, back to work.

BTW, I have 98 Depeche Mode songs and I skipped some abums, I may add them later.