Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time stamp)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last weeks winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

This week's theme: CHAOS

I've extended this one day because I'll be out of town for part of that weekend.

Interpret the theme as you will.

the1sttransport

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2007
17541_864168951382_5136010_48972017_117360_n.jpg

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
From Universal Studios, Los Angeles

This was a set from War of the Worlds. Not many entries so far! Hope there'll be more.

dscf00312.jpg

Azazul

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
One of my older photoshop works, called "Hunting Season", with the sub "Time to hunt down your ghosts?"

Hope you like!

Hunting_season_by_DireWish.jpg

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Alternate definition: a physics behavior so unpredictable as to appear random, owing to great sensitivity to small changes in condition

A training event (clickable)

Attachments

• DSC_0187.jpg
    DSC_0187.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 160

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
It is now 10:00 pm EDT. The contest will close in 12 hours and I will post the C&C and winners shortly after that.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
While there were not many entries, this is an interesting variety of interpretations. I was hoping for this variety.

acearchie -- I like your approach of constructing chaos by combining all of these non-chaotic images. I counted 6 or 7 individual shots. I’m not sure whether 2 features come from the same image or not. I think the use of b&w was a good choice. What I’m not getting here is any sense of compositional intent. While this does add to the chaos, my eye isn’t carried through the image and I can’t find a focal point.

the1sttransport -- This is an outstanding image. I like everything about it. The composition is spot on. You convey a real sense of the awesome power and unpredictability of the approaching storm. I also like the juxtaposition between the calmer area across the bottom of the frame and the rest of the image. Well done.

jodelli -- Interesting approach. I like your idea of using your camera to create the chaos. What I’m getting here is the technique but not any sense of this as an artistic image.

Ish -- There are some movies that are so powerful because of the way the played on/in the times in which they were made and, therefore, never should have been remade. That notwithstanding, there is certainly a lot of chaos in this set. Again, I’m not getting any sense of a composition. This looks more like a snapshot of the set. I wish you would have focused on some element that would catch my eye.

Chappers -- I have 4 of these creatures and I know that look very well. You never know if that cry is the cause or result of the chaos. As I recall the story, you created this chaos by taking his picture when he didn’t want you to. Bora is very photogenic and you do a great job of capturing him “on film.” It’s a testimony to the love between parent and child. I’ve seen this image before and I think you did a great job of capturing the energy of the moment.

Azazul -- Welcome to MR and this forum. I hope you become a regular participant/contributor. It is really easy to make a “constructed image” very badly. Making one this good takes a very good clear vision and a lot of work. I think I would have framed this a bit differently. The sky doesn’t really do much for this image and the hedgerow runs right across the middle of the frame. This confines the area of interest to only the bottom half of the frame. I would crop out about half of the area above the hedgerow. I would also crop a little from the right so that some of the victims lie partially outside the frame to create the sense of the destruction being much greater than what the frame captures. Overall, however, a great image.

CK Williams -- I love the way you are able to capture the critical moment in these training exercises. I guess that’s why they pay you the big bucks to do what you do. :rolleyes: This image does show chaos on many levels. I would like to see you do some work with the lighting and color levels to bring out the colors and make the glass more visible. I would also do some cropping to get the car out of the center of the frame.

oblomow -- I really like this. I definitely get a sense of the unending detours and the chaos that creates. Your use of DOF here emphasises this sense even more. This one also resonates with me personally (and not in a good way). The first “C” I got in undergrad school (Penn State) was for an essay on parts of René Descartes’ Principles of Philosophy. I still have nightmares about having to read him.

JDDavis -- Except for a couple of flashes of green, you wouldn’t even know there is a kayak. Good white water can be brutal and this image captures that well. Initially, I did not like the framing because the subject is centered. I played with some cropping but whatever I did took away a sense of the power of the water. I am not sure if your intent was to show the chaos or the struggle to overcome it. If the intent is to show the chaos I would have liked this one to be shot a bit wider to include more of the setting. If the intent was to show the struggle I think you captured that well. Nicely done image.

bootedbear -- I like the variety of colors and textures in this. It’s a good example of how we can find order in chaos and chaos in order. My only concern is the row of lighter items at the bottom. My eye wants to go there and I have to make myself look at the globes which I think are more interesting.

========================

Well done everyone. This was hard, but here we go...................

3rd - Azazul -- I admire your artistic vision and respect the amount of time you must have spent to do this.

2nd - oblomow -- I like the way your image captures and tells a story. I feel like I am in the scene. (I did not penalize you on account of the bad memory you triggered. :D:D:D)

1st - the1sttransport -- An extraordinary image. It speaks for itself.

the1sttransport -- You have 48 hours to post a new theme. Looking forward to it.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Congrats the1sttransport good job on a difficult topic - thanks Bruce for testing us. and thanks for all the feedback. I think you've seen too many of my photos :D

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Nicely judged deep diver. Thanks for the C&C. Other than a little cropping it was SOTC. I'll try some work on the levels.

Congratulations the1sttransport. Great shot and a worthy winner!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
thanks deep diver, good judging. congratulations the1sttransport
(and you really deserved that 'c' :) )

oblomow -- I PMed the1sttransport but have not gotten a reply. I am going to be tied up all day tomorrow. If the1sttransport does not start a new thread by 5:00pm New York time then the responsibility becomes yours.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Whats with all these hit an run postings lately? :confused:

I wish I knew. I don't care if someone wants to disappear but this disrupts the flow of the contest. I'd rather these folks would at least tell us they will disappear after they post.

I'm confident that oblomow will be present.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I wish I knew. I don't care if someone wants to disappear but this disrupts the flow of the contest. I'd rather these folks would at least tell us they will disappear after they post.

This happened with a winner before. Was that just the previous Contest??
Add a line to the Rules:

Please don't enter unless you are willing to accept the responsibilities of winning. i.e.: Judging and choosing the next topic in a timely fashion.

Just my $100k worth...:)...

Dale

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv

This happened with a winner before. Was that just the previous Contest??
Add a line to the Rules:

Please don't enter unless you are willing to accept the responsibilities of winning. i.e.: Judging and choosing the next topic in a timely fashion.

Just my $100k worth...:)...

Dale

I agree 100k% :p

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands

Yessir! (or should that be m'am?)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
oblomow - maybe you can add a new rule (god I hate rules) for the next contest. I think Dales version is fine. I like direct. but maybe a little shorter.

Its a shame because the1sttransport has been on the forums several times but just not to this thread. Maybe people just don't expect to win. I PM'd him too, no reply.

deep diver - is 100% man :D and a very nice one too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.