8A369 Seeded

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daveL, Feb 5, 2005.

1. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Yesterday (the 4th). Still looks like there's a bit of work to do. I'm really hoping we start to see things come together in the next month or two; we're not close, yet.

2. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

There's little information about the actual built itself and from the article on Think Secret it appears that Apple is trying to tie up some stability issues.

However, does this mean that build seeding is going to be accelerating? The previous builds have usually been at least a month apart.

3. DJMad macrumors newbie

DJMad

I wonder if this build included the new dock for dashboard. Though it has more eyecandy, I wonder if people will like it, more then the origional. I am interested to hear feedback from people who are testing the seeds.

4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I think the new Dashboard's, dashboard, is actually more useful than eyecandy. Now instead of having to guess what widgets were by their name, I can see a preview and remember "Oh, that color/shape widget does this..." Very useful.
    -Chase

5. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

They are using a perforated metal skin as a background for the Dashboard Dock, Apple needs to get they GUI in fix. At present there are too many implementations of Skins as is. It just looks like a bag of hammers as far as the GUI goes. Either keep the Dashboard Dock similar to the present in skin or make a section on the present Dock to stand out when Dashboard is activated. A Dashboard Dock under the Original Dock is looking messy.

GB's skin has to be one of the worst IMHO. I like the Pro Skin the best, and it seems iMovie HD has some of its feature set. :)

KISS formula Apple GUI dept,

Pro Skin

Aqua Skin.

Merge the Brush Metal Skin with the Pro Skin or have the Pro Skin replace the Brush Metal Skin.

Aqua Skin in its X.4 state looking more like semi-gloss glass is fine I guess. :)

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I am sure there will be some other site that will place some screenshots in due time. :)

8. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Its kinda bad and good that its still an A build. Good b/c prehaps they will add a few more nice features here and there. Bad becuase will still will need to get through beta.

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I am sure the Beta tests will not take too long, well that is what Apple is hoping it will not come down to in the end. ;) :)

These do seem like Alpha/Beta tests though. ;) :)

10. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

For example, the release build of Panther was 7B85.

11. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

First Usable Build

Reports are coming in from developers that 8A369 is the first usable build of Tiger (i.e. Tiger beta cycle).

Among the user interface tweaks include the appearance of the Dashboard dock icon (Yes! It is removable!), the Spotlight and Apple menu bar icons have stabilized and from the wording, appears to have finally taken the look from MWSF. In addition, the Keyboard & Mouse Preferences includes an option to allow users to choose the left or right button as the main mouse button.

Story 1
    Story 2

12. ichiroboston macrumors newbie

I noticed this build is no longer in my downloads... anyone else see this?

13. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

For those of you requesting screenshots...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... Here's a couple.

14. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

So is dashboard just another app? Can it be shut down?

15. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

There is a "Remove from Dock" option when you right-click the icon, but it will still run. You just press the assigned key to bring the widgets up. The dock icon just provides a way to access Dashboard.

Btw, when the icon is in the dock, it shows that Dashboard is immediatly open when you log on to your account. It doesn't need to start up, it's already ready on log-in. And I don't think it can be shut down. It's always there.

16. Panther macrumors member

The individual widgets appear in Activity Monitor as separate processes called "<widgetname> Dashboard Client" (e.g. "Calendar Dashboard Widget", "Flight Tracker Dashboard Client" and so on), and these can be shut down if they are misbehaving.

Obviously with this approach, the widgets could be running in the background eating resources if not written properly. On the flipside, as they can be updating in the background, it means when you hit F12 you're likely to be seeing the latest weather, stock prices or whatever else your widgets are doing.

The "Dashboard Client" processes are created (and owned) by the Dock process - there is no "dashboard app" per se.

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Tiger looks awesome. I really want the widgets...they look pretty easy to tailor and build your own.

18. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I heard that tiger doesn't work well with non-apple keyboards or kvms or something. Does anyone with tiger use a non-apple keyboard or a kvm? Any info?

19. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I am using 8A393 and using a Logitech Wireless Duo (mouse/keyboard). Works great.

20. andrewm macrumors regular

Drivers

One should, I feel, take such reports with a grain of salt. Remember that Tiger is still in a developer preview stage, and Apple's primary focus would probably be adding new features to their drivers, firmware, and programmes, and increasing stability. Any current incompatibilities will likely be resolved by either system updates or driver updates, or even simply the final system version.

Also recall that most third-party drivers are written in Carbon, not Cocoa, so that their old OS 9 code will still work, and that the onus should be on the third-party manufacturers, and not Apple, to extend compatibility and rewrite their own code, as Carbon is gradually transitioned into obsolescence.

Most such developers, too, will likely have preview copies of Tiger anyway, and are likely developing drivers like mad so that they'll be ready for when the bag is opened, whenever that may occur.

Cheers!

21. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

22. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Nice screenshots, can we have some of the latest updates to Mail and spotlight. Cheers.

23. iBonzo macrumors newbie

Can you access spotlight through a hotkey as of now.

I hope they allow that.

24. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Command-Space Bar will get you to the "basic" search window. Command-Option-Space Bar takes you to the full one.

No doubt a better man than I will correct me with the proper keystroke-naming conventions...

25. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Sorry, I've nipped off to Hawaii for vacation and left Tiger behind. I can't provide any more screenshots until next week. :D