8gig RAM MBA 2012 starting to run out of app memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dominicdiep, Aug 10, 2012.

1. macrumors member

:( I don't understand why I'm starting to get this recently, considering that the programs I've been using mainly consisting of just Chrome, Safari, Finder and iTunes! I've checked Activity Monitor and something is definitely up. How can I run of memory with just a few programs open with 8gigs of ram to spare? Someone explain please

3. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

What do you mean, you've "run out of memory"? My guess is you're misinterpreting your System Memory readings. Add Free and Inactive memory together to determine what's available for apps to use.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

4. macrumors member

Sorry for the late reply. My MacBook just did it again and when it does the whole computer becomes unresponsive and I have to cold boot it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80954133@N08/7755761748/

5. macrumors newbie

Go to Terminal and type in 'purge' (without the quotations). This should free up unused memory. Your computer will become unresponsive for 20-30 seconds. Post screenshot after doing so

6. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

Restart your computer, then follow the instructions in my earlier post to take a new screen shot and post it. Don't skip any steps.
    That is not necessary. Inactive RAM is available for use, just like free memory, except it has an added advantage. Purging removes that advantage.

7. macrumors member

here you go, thanks

Attached Files:

8. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

You're no where near running out of memory. Just relax and enjoy your Mac. Mac OS X will manage memory quite well without you doing anything.

9. macrumors member

This is straight after restarting my computer, like you said before. In about a couple of hours use it will happen again. Did you want me to take screenshots when it's about to run out of memory after opening basic apps?

10. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

Please do.

11. macrumors member

After just 14 minutes of use...

Safari web content? i only have facebook and reddit open... :confused:

Attached Files:

12. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

You still have no page outs, which means you haven't maxed out your memory. However, you are using Flash, which is notorious for high resource usage. For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

13. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Do you have any extensions installed in Chrome, such as 1Password?

Also, how many tabs do you usually keep open in Chrome and Safari?

EDIT: Make sure you have the 64 bit of shockwave flash installed - that may just solve all your problems.

http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

14. macrumors member

Think I've found the problem after looking at this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1387267. Seems like AdBlock is causing a memory leak in Safari. Just uninstalled it now and with Fb and Reddit open, Safari Web Content is only using around 100mb now :)

15. macrumors member

16. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
    There are other factors other than memory issues that can cause poor performance.

17. macrumors member

I suppose you are right, I was probably pointing fingers at RAM since "Used" total was usually about 0.1GB away from my actual total and CPU usage was typically 45% or less. Anyway, the OP seems satisfied so I will thank you for your feedback and the Apple support article. I shouldn't jump into someone else's post for and make it about me. :eek:

18. dyn
    macrumors 68000

Ah the famous Safari web content aka Safari + Flash. Safari is a very buggy and memory intensive webbrowser, especially when using Flash. It causes it to use enormous amounts of memory and make the cpu go crazy at times. I've had that very same issue and resolved it by simply stop using Safari all together (I wasn't running any extensions!). Opera, Chrome and Firefox are much better browsers that don't have this problem. It is best to use any one of these. Updating to the latest Safari and Flash version does not seem to resolve the memory issue.

Running purge and rebooting the machine will not resolve this problem. After running Safari for a few hours (say listening/looking at some playlist at YouTube) will cause it to use 4+ GB of memory like in your screenshot. If you must use Safari than regularly close it and restart it. You may need to do this after 2 or 3 vids even.

19. macrumors member

confirmed from me as well, use clicktoflash to control the flash settings and you're good to go.

Another way is to quit safari (as in command-Q instead of pressing the red button on the top left side). That should free up all memories hogged by flash.

20. macrumors 6502

Hmmm what was your wallpaper in this particular screenshot?? :cool:

21. macrumors member

22. macrumors 6502a

dcorban

This is probably from Adobe Flash.

----------

I noticed this as well, although not lately. The memory overhead with adblock when visiting sites that contain a lot of links, javascript, and ads is huge.

23. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I edited this into a previous post, but I think it may have been overlooked. Make sure you have upgraded the flash to the 64 bit version. Safari boots in 64 bit and the 32 bit flash causes lots of problems.

http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

24. macrumors 65816

Dustman

OS X is meant to utilize every bit of ram it can get it's hands on. This is a good thing. Why have ram sitting there not being utilized. You're not paging out thats the main thing.

25. macrumors regular

Isn't the 260 GB virtual memory file a little alarming? With a 128 GB SSD (as stated in the OPs specs), where does that even reside?

Another question: should the OP be using Safari if this is happening? Would Chrome prevent this, or is it just Flash that is causing this?