8x DVD-R media compatability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by photohead, Jun 30, 2004.

1. photohead macrumors member

I wanted to know if anyone out there has gotten thier new Powermac G5 with the new 8x superdrive. if they have tried to burn onto 8x media, which ones are worked and which didn't. I was looking at ritek riodata 8x dvd-r disks and I was wondering if they were compatible with the new 8x super drives.

any info would be great thanks.

N

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have a Pioneer 107-D. I am under the impression its the same as in the new G5 macs.
    If so, then I have used many vrand without a hitch, including Great Quality (generic) and Fry's brand.

The 107-D is a solid DVDR in my experience.

3. photohead thread starter macrumors member

I'm Bumping my post and clarifying some things...I'm just wondering about the actual media....and company's that make them, eg. verbatim, riodata, maxel, apple, etc. and specifically at the 8x speed. does any know from experience which ones are good to use with the new G5 8x -R superdrive.

thanks for you're help in advance.

N

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Pioneer seem quite picky with the types of 8x media that the drive will allow to burn at 8x. They add new media types with each firmware revision. Unfortunately there isn't an official firmware updater for Mac OS X. There is a third party hack here which worked on my DVR-107D but obviously be careful as it's unsupported by Apple and you could trash your drive. There are two versions on that site. 1.13 which is a hacked multiregion firmware that also burns all DVD-Rs at their max speed and an official 1.15 firmware from Pioneer which is regioned. The current version on the pioneer website is 1.16 and this flasher can be made to flash that version as well. Check xlr8yourmac for more details