8x SuperDrive in new G5... My old one has it too... and it was standard :-D

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Jo-Kun, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

hmm Apple is showing off on the new 8x SuperDrive in the NEW G5's...

I just by accident checked the hardwarenr on my drive... and surprise!! its the Pioneer DVR-107D AKA => 8x DVD+/-RW

hmm I bought my G5 2months ago... and the order stated: 4x SuperDrive ;-)

that's why Toast shows me the 8x option :-D

EDIT:

system profiler tels me:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D:

Manufacturer: PIONEER
    Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D
    Revision: A707
    Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
    Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: No
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal

but a search on the web tells me +/-RW...

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

3. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Apple has some kind of deal with the group behind the dash ("-") format; they always alter firmware to allow for dash-only burning.

There are firmware hacks out there, but they will void your warranty = bad idea.

4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

there is no "deal" they use -R because it's compatible with everything. +R requires hardware specifically compatible with +R discs. i dont see why anyone even cares about +R compatibility...what do you need it for? +R offers no benefits i'm aware of, and limits compatibility...what an excellent technology.

5. snooziums macrumors regular

Because +R is required to if you want to burn DVDs that can be run in older DVD players.

No DVD player over three years old can read a -R or -RW DVD.

6. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

What's really disappointing is that they didn't adopt the Sony DRU700A dual layer drive for the new G5. The Sony is shipping at the moment in Oz, so I figure they must be in wide circulation overseas now

7. sandmann41 macrumors regular

That's not true at all.

8. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

But think about it:

The drive already has compatibility with plus and dash. Apple is removing this by crippling the firmware.

It's great that dash is more compatible; it makes sense that their drives should use dash. But why should they REMOVE plus? They're crippling the drives...

If Mr. X wants to be able to burn +R disks on his drive, THEN LET HIM! Give him the option and let him choose: that's what drive manufacturers are doing. Apple is taking away the choice.

9. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Actually, as far as I know, you've got it backwards. Dash is the more compatible format, especially with older DVD players.

Maybe with the occasional plus-group-manufactured set.

10. snooziums macrumors regular

Maybe I did get it wrong there. All I know is that my RCA DVD changer bought in November 2000 cannot read most DVDs burned on DVD burners today.

It will still read just about all commercial DVDs that you buy in the store or rent, however any DVD burned by a personal user has not worked yet in it.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

And all I know is my parent's DVD player from 2000 can play my Mac burned DVD-Rs but not DVD+Rs from the PCs at my old High school.

Toshiba

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I hope I can replace my 4x SuperDrive to the 8x version without having to buy a new machine.

All this DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, etc, etc.. Way too confusing. DVD writers would have been common 5 years ago if there was one standard. Just think if they did the same with flat panel displays. Flat-R, Flat-RW (for read and write) and Flat+RW (read and write but somewhat differently) and hard drives (HD-R, HD-RW, HD+R).

13. zerosnipe macrumors member

zerosnipe

it ment say only - not +/- but you can still burn dvds that dvd+r/rw. i use 8x dvd+r's made by memorex. they work well

14. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

uh... right... well, back on topic...
    look's like you got really lucky... maybe you should check to see if you got liquid cooling too.. ;)

(btw, why do they call australia "oz"?)

reality

15. Jo-Kun thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha, no only the 8x drive is the difference there is with what was in de specs on that time...
    even the new 2X1.8 & 2X2 don't have watercooling... so if you like that gizmo save some extra money to get the 2X2.5 :p

16. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

because oz or aus is short for australia, a land full of aussies or ozzies, the s sounds like a z when you say it quickly so oz is the short name for australia. Pretty simple really. :)