8x superdrive w/ 8 dimm slots?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jody1060, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jody1060 macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2005
    I'm on the verge of buying a new G5 (2ghz dual processor). The 1st machine has an 8x superdrive and the 2nd has a 16x. Obviously the 16x would be better---BUT the 1st one has 8 dimm slots that allow for 8gb ram...and the 2nd only has 4 dimmm slots (expandable to 4GB ram). I wonder if anyone has any advice on which way to go? PS-the primary use for my computer is for graphic design, especially Photoshop.
  2. Church macrumors regular

May 9, 2005
    You could always just swap out the optical drive on the old one. I would think a new drive wouldn't cost more than 200 bucks. So you're still going for about the same price on the computer, but you have better upgrade options! That's always a big w00t in my book.
  3. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The dual 2.0 GHz with 8 Dimm slots, 8 X SuperDrive and PCI-X is the 2004 "Rev B" 2.0. This is actually your better machine and uses the PRO motherboard. :)
    It is far better suited for PRO applications. Model#VPN-M9455LL/A
    You should be able to fine one NEW for $1899 or less at most Apple
    resellers or for $1649 Refurbished through the Apple Store Red tag sales.

The 2.0 GHz with 4 Dimm slots and 16X superdrive is the new 2005 Rev C
    and uses the "prosumer" motherboard and standard PCI slots.:(

Dual layer optical drives are cheap and easy to replace any time.

Otherwise you're spending $2299 for the new 2005 2.3 GHz model to get the best of the Rev B 2.0 and other BTO options factory installed.

The 'Rev B" 2.0 is like getting one of the last pre-smog control 67 Mustangs

where the Rev C 2.0 is choking on the EPA controls, but has a better stereo.