8x superdrive w/ 8 dimm slots?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jody1060, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jody1060 macrumors newbie

I'm on the verge of buying a new G5 (2ghz dual processor). The 1st machine has an 8x superdrive and the 2nd has a 16x. Obviously the 16x would be better---BUT the 1st one has 8 dimm slots that allow for 8gb ram...and the 2nd only has 4 dimmm slots (expandable to 4GB ram). I wonder if anyone has any advice on which way to go? PS-the primary use for my computer is for graphic design, especially Photoshop.

2. Church macrumors regular

Church

You could always just swap out the optical drive on the old one. I would think a new drive wouldn't cost more than 200 bucks. So you're still going for about the same price on the computer, but you have better upgrade options! That's always a big w00t in my book.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The dual 2.0 GHz with 8 Dimm slots, 8 X SuperDrive and PCI-X is the 2004 "Rev B" 2.0. This is actually your better machine and uses the PRO motherboard. :)
    It is far better suited for PRO applications. Model#VPN-M9455LL/A
    You should be able to fine one NEW for $1899 or less at most Apple
    resellers or for $1649 Refurbished through the Apple Store Red tag sales.

The 2.0 GHz with 4 Dimm slots and 16X superdrive is the new 2005 Rev C
    and uses the "prosumer" motherboard and standard PCI slots.:(

Dual layer optical drives are cheap and easy to replace any time.

Otherwise you're spending $2299 for the new 2005 2.3 GHz model to get the best of the Rev B 2.0 and other BTO options factory installed.

The 'Rev B" 2.0 is like getting one of the last pre-smog control 67 Mustangs

where the Rev C 2.0 is choking on the EPA controls, but has a better stereo.