9/11 - 4 years later

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Sep 11, 2005.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Kinda surprised no one has made a new thread about this here (except for BV here, but it's not in the Poli Forum... yet). But here it is 4 years later. Still no Bin Laden, still in Iraq, and we've proved that we aren't ready for another attack even if we know in advance what may happen (Katrina). Before anyone says anything, I mean Local, State, and Federal. And please don't tell me this is disrespectful to those who were affected, I think it's more disrespectful to not learn from our mistakes. The fact that it makes me more angry than it does sad makes me even more angry.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Lots of people. And especially all those people who've been writing and saying for years that this administration has misplaced priorities and has done too little to strengthen our ability to respond to disasters.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

4. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Well, I had this image as my avatar. But I guess I'll be going back to the old one now that it's 9/12. From most of what I've seen, people just want to forget anyway.

Attached Files:

• wtc.jpg
      wtc.jpg
      File size:
      4.2 KB
      Views:
  5. tristan macrumors 6502a

I'm with you guys. About halfway through the Kerry campaign I woke up and said to myself "Gee, was Bush even trying to find bin Laden?" Barely 6k troops in Afghanistan as opposed to 150k in Iraq. (At that point in time.) Soon after I realized that he didn't really care about our security, and that 9/11 was just another economic and political opportunity to him and his pals. It's depressing.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

forgetting is the worst thing we could do

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I had to leave my house on 9/11. My brother and I were watching the special on it on the National Geographic channel. When they got to the part with people jumping out, I lost it.

I got up and left the room. I walked around, kind of restless for a while.
    Hearing the people's stories:
    A banker...
    A financial analyst...
    a stock broker...
    An economist...

All dead because of it.
    I just couldn't take it anymore.

So, I went out for a drive.

I somehow ended up at the Old Houston Branch of the Federal Reserve. They've since built a new, bigger building. But, seeing the Fed completely abandoned, the parking lot 100% empty, no one even manning security to make sure no one got in, just lifeless-- I lost it. I started crying.

I didn't think being an economist would mean risking my life.

Stupid terrorists...

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

not sure i understand.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i feel pretty much similiar (i'm not from the US thou) .. i really hoped that the US will take it as a wake up call but it ended up pretty exactly like it shouldn't.. it's extremely frustrating seeing the same old mistakes being made over and over again
    even more since i'm from a small foreign country .. and can' chance anything

and about 11/9 remembering, let's face it: the US, are overdoing it
    sure it was terrible and the victims shouldn't be forgotten but warming the whole stories up every ***** year and doing like they were the poorest persons ever lived ... it's simply too much .. i have to say,like in those hollywood movies: "please let it go"

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm guessing Katie is considering a career in economics, and is noting that many of the people killed on 9/11/01 were in that field.

Of course, I could be killed by a drunk on the road today too...

11. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Not saying I disagree. It was a painful lesson in humanity and humility that we quickly forgot. Despite the cries of "never forget", people seem to want to. I don't think we should let it go any time soon.

I think her point, in a round-about way, is that in this world nothing and no one are safe.