9/11 b-days?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jxyama, Sep 4, 2003.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

please don't turn this into a political discussion...

i'm just curious if any of you have a sept. 11th birthday... i was born on the 10th and my birthday two years ago was the last "normal" birthday, as far as my life is concerned. (in fact, i flew from washington national to detroit on 9/10/01, passing by pentagon on the way out...)

if you were born on or close to sept. 11th, how do you feel about your birthday celebration? if you weren't born on or close to sept. 11th, how do you feel about celebrating your friend's birthday on or around then?

i'm mostly curious... i'm not trying to prove a point or start a deep discussion...

2. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

My old college roommates' birthday is on 9/11. Funny I never used to remember when his birthday was until that fateful day two years ago. Now I can never forget when his birthday is.

3. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

if i had a 9/11 bday, i wouldn't let it get to me, the terrorists have done enough damage already, why should my birthday for the rest of my life be added to the list of things they've screwed up?

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Its just a date. My friend's birthday is on the 12th, so he has definitely had experience with people thinking of something other than what to get as a gift *sigh*

5. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Yeah, one of my friend's has a birthday on that day, it sort of sucks, but you're right. It's only a date, I don't think it's that big of a deal. No one complains about having December 7th as a birthday.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

my birthday is in early october..

but...I know I cannot handle rehashing 9-11 every year like I'll have to do for the rest of my life...

last year I got so depressed on the 1 year anniversary...this year I think I'll just not turn on a tv or listen to any radio...

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

It's not exactly the same thing, but my nephew was born at 09:11 (7 weeks ago). My brother asked that I somehow disguise that fact when I was designing the christening invitation cards.

For those who do have a birthday on sept. 11, I shouldn't think it's a problem. What better way to overcome the intentions of the terrorists than by celebrating life?

8. iGav macrumors G3

I know it's on a totally different scale, and as such I don't want to offend people, but my Grandmother died on my brothers birthday last year...

We found that this year we took flowers to the garden of remembrance the day before his birthday, and toasted my grandmother during his birthday meal. The rest of the day we enjoyed and were thankful for what we've got.

G

9. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

i don't think it's a different scale at all... that's a lot more personal for both people involved. i'm sorry about what happened, but it sounds like you folks handled it very nicely...

the thing about 9/11 (or there abouts) b-day is this. many restaurants around here (ann arbor, MI) offer a free meal on your b-day. (or if you go to tgif type of a place, a free cake...) i was curious how a very "public" birthday on such a monumental day would be handled...

i realize for the most part it's harmless. no one means offense, of course. but i know at least one person who lost her brother and it's always tough thinking about that day...

incidentally, my mom is flying back from japan to nyc on 9/11. kinda nervous about that, even though that date is probably no more "dangerous" than any other day...

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My b-day is 5 days after 9-11. I wasn't really in a celebratory mood the year it happened, but I refuse to let it weigh too heavily on my mind two years out. That's what the terrorists would want.

On a related note, my sister's b-day was the day after we had the big Loma Prieta quake back in '89. It was the afternoon before her 16th birthday. Needless to say, her 16th b-day was spent cleaning the house and picking up all the broken crap, as well as running outside anytime there was an aftershock. She was soooooo pissed! My dad made b-day pancakes on the camp stove for her, and she did get a few presents, but the party had to be canceled. We celebrated it about 3 weeks later though. Probably scarred her for life.

11. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I was born on 9.11 (as you can see in my profile), and it's not an issue for me.

I will live my life to it's fullest and I will not let some S-O-Bs destroy my way of life. i will always honor the memory of the deceased and it will be a constant reminder of human stupidity.

I tried to figure out how to classify this act: terror attack, war effort, but in the end it boiled down to the fact that these people believed that by destroying buildings and killing innocent people they will go to a "heaven" and be rewarded - sheer stupidity. Without getting entangled in a religious discussion, everyone with a grain of common sense can agree that those people died in vain and now they have also released a lot of anger that is hurting people in other parts of the world (afghanistan, iraq, israel, etc.).

So anyway, happy birthday to me and in case you are looking for me on 9.11, I will be with the big party hat celebrating life and the strength of the people who are able to overcome.

12. iGav macrumors G3

It would be far more difficult if say you lost a loved one in the 9/11 attacks, yet also had a loved ones birthday on the same day... it must be very difficult to celebrate and try to mourn in that situation.

I think zarathustra puts it across in a good way...

Remembers, but realises life goes on...

I'll drink to that...

G

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

my niece's birthday is on september 11. which, as someone else said, makes it easy to remember now. my nephew's birthday is on july 4th... i have it easy

as far as how it's handled... i don't think it should be more than a "let's learn from the past and move forward" type of remembrance, and then celebrate the day.

14. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Thats great! Just a few questions:

1. Do people look at you funny when you are in a unusually good mood on your birthday these days?

2. How do you people around you act towards you on your bithday now?

3. What do you associate september 11th with more now: your birthday, or the day America was attacked?

Sorry in advance if these questions bother you, or are asked to you a million times.

--Waluigi

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is definitely a day to remember like Pearl Harbor, JFK Assassination, and 1st landing on the moon. Among those that you remember where you were.

My wedding anniversary is on September 9th.

16. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

like i wrote in the original post, my b-day is 9/10... i do get a lot of "oh yeah, you just ducked by one day, didn't you?" kind of response when i tell them my birthday...

doesn't really bother me... but i guess the memory of that day will live us vividly for quite some time.

17. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Most of them time people's reaction is a simple "Oh, wow." To which I say "I know."

1> Ever since I was a kid I disliked a big fuss over my birthday, so it has always been low key, unless someone throws a party for me.

2> "That must suck!" is another reaction I get. Not much more.

3> September 11 is just another day. Like Friday the 13. It won't be a "sad" or "bad" day unless you and I make it. So let's make it good. :)

18. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

My sister's birthday is the 10th and my aunt's the 12th, so they kind of strattle the fateful day...:(

19. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

My boyfriend's birthday and our anniversary

My boyfriend's birthday, and our anniversary is on 9/12. I think it will kind of marr the day for us a little bit - it certainly did when it happened, especially since we hadn't celebrated the events yet.

Both this year, and last year, we were packing our apartment to move during this time, and that really takes your mind off of it.

Alia