9/11 report: best analysis from Comedy Central

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Jul 31, 2004.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Jon Stewart said something to the effect of:

'The 9/11 commission suggested creating a new head of intelligence position to whom all the agencies must report and who has ultimate power over them. Kind of like, say, a commander in chief?'

It stuck with me as I heard the pundits tossing this idea around. I mean, why create more bureaucracy when there's already a guy who can get comprehensive reports and force agencies to cooperate and who has ultimate power over all of them?

Clinton did it when Al Qaeda posed a threat, we know this from Richard Clark's testimony.

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I increasingly find the Daily Show the the most serious news and political analysis program on TV.
    Seriously.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

seems they're the only ones who are seeking out examples of the administration's hypocrisy. i'm glad someone besides us is doing it.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Zim and DP, what can one infer about the state of our Media and our Freedoms, if the only way one can talk about the important issues is under the guise of satire.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Daily show and satire in general, but it is a pretty pathetic state of Affairs when a show of this sort is dealing with the important issues, and the mainstream media is dealing with "hairstyles".

Quite an indictment, I would say...

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think so, too. still, even if the mainstream media were doing their job, satire definitely plays a role, imo. but it should be an adjunct, not the main voice of, errrr, sanity.