9/11: Where were you at the time?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue Velvet, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Thought it would be nice to mark the day with asking people to recall where they were at the time when they heard what was going on in New York and Washington... and to spare a minute to remember all those who were touched by these disasters

It was a hot sunny day in London, just after 2pm. I was off work and was at home having an afternoon nap but the radio was playing softly, tuned to a BBC news network. I woke up to hear the announcer saying something about a fire in the World Trade Center... turned on the television to see that the BBC had already gone to ABC's live feed. Sat and watched the next few hours with amazement and horror then had to go over to friend's house which I was house-sitting at the time to check up on things... I will never forget the expressions on the faces of those I saw walking in the streets of London that evening rush-hour.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
  3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    I was in 2nd period (Eng :( ) in 6th grade. I don't think any of us really realized the scope of what happened at the time. Pretty soon, administrators came around and told us to turn off the TVs and go back to work. I'll always remember that we had a substitute teacher that day with elephants on his tie. He nicknamed me and 2 of my friends Curly, Moe, and Larry.
    I can't believe it's been 4 years already... :(

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well I was asleep, woke up in the morning to watch tv. I believe the 2nd building had just collapsed, me and mum were in such shock. Went to school and all we did that day was watch the tv.

May God be with those lost souls.
  5. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Jan 21, 2005
    New Zealand
    I woke up and turned on the radio to hear an eye-witness describing what had happened. This particular station usually played practical jokes on people in the morning, so I'm hearing this horrific description of a people jumping out of windows and whatnot and waiting for the punch line. Then I got sick of waiting so I left for school. When I got there I told someone that I'd heard this really odd thing on the radio and he told me it was true.

It was quite surreal.
  6. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I was a freshmen in college and getting ready to go to class. I remember watching tv and hearing about the first building being hit. Then they went to commercial and came back and said a second plane had crashed into the other building.

Today is my sisters birthday and she and my dad were out hiking that day and didn't know about what happened until they got back.
  7. Sox macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    I got back to my fraternity house after my morning class just before the plane hit the second tower. There was a lot of confusion - 25 people crowded around the TV, trying to figure out what was going on. All anyone knew was that one of the WTC Towers was smoldering. And as we watched, the second plane hit.

I go to school in upstate NY, so there were a lot of frantic phone calls that went unreturned over the next minutes and hours. Some eventually got through. Some were never returned.
  8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I slept through it so when I woke up in the morning, most of the myths had been replaced by facts and quite a bit about what was happening was being broadcast on TV and radio. I still couldn't believe it though.
  9. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    I was out getting drunk after work- we're 13 hours ahead over here. One of my friends emailed me that an airplane had hit the World Trade Center. My wife also emailed me saying the same thing. I thought it was just a strange accident until I heard the second tower was hit soon afterwards and guessing something was wrong.

It was difficult to turn off the TV and sleep that night as all the Japanese networks were showing the same footage over and over again...
  10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    I was alone at work so I wasn't aware that anything had happened to begin with. I only found out about it when my boss came back from a meeting and told me what she'd heard on her car radio. This was just before the first tower came down which, if memory serves, was about an hour-or-so after the initial strike.
  11. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I was at the ATL airport teaching a training class for our employees. We heard something about a plane and checked CNN online, from there is all went downhill fast. I remember calling to check on friends at other airports to make sure they were OK. I had friends at JFK, and EWR that were all very involved.

Being a the busiest airport in the world when all of the planes were grounded was very bizarre. I went up to the Tower and there were planes everywhere on the ground, but none were taking off or landing, which is absolutely unheard of in ATL.

I knew that day that my life was changed forever, and that our industry was in a fight for its life. The airlines have never recovered, and may never. Not just because of 9/11 itself, but fuel (which is a by product) and other factors.

We will probably file bankruptcy this week, and more job cuts and pay cuts are coming.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  12. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I was at work, and someone said that the news was reporting that a plane had hit one of the Towers. We all thought maybe a small plane had lost control or something. A little bit later, someone said the other tower got hit. Then we knew. We had a small set playing ABC, with at least 50 people hunched around it at all times throughout the day. I saw the first tower fall live. After the Pentagon was hit, and there were reports of a 4th plane still in the air, quite a few were freaking out, as we are located between PA. and DC.
    I had to stay at work. Got home around 6.00p and stayed horrifically glued to the boob tube all night long.

Blue, I was looking at the clock and thinking of starting a thread just like this one. Glad I checked new posts first.
  13. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    I was at work in the City of London. Actually I remember I had just popped out to buy a birthday card for a friend so I was in a card shop at Leadenhall Market when I first heard the news on the radio. When I got back to the office a few mins later there were people gathered in reception watching the news reports on tv and everyone was so horrified. Later that afternoon we were all sent home as there were fears of potential attacks on London - particularly around the financial centres in the City & Canary Wharf.
  14. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I was at work, at UNC-Charlotte. There was no access to TV, and the Internet was down, so I got very little information. When I eventually figured out what had happened, I called my wife and we figured out what we would do with the kids. I was there all day and had night classes, so I never saw any of the live footage of the event. My wife picked up the kids after school and took them to a prayer service at their church. I got home at about 10 p.m., by that time my wife didn't really want to watch any more TV, so I never really shared in the live television experience the rest of the world had. Of course, I've since read a lot about it on the Web and have since seen some of the video, but I don't think I had quite the same experience most people did. The biggest concern I had was how to explain what had happened to my kids, who were age 7 and 8 at the time.
  15. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I was at work ~2pm, at the time my brother was working for the same company and away on business. He called to ask if I was listening to the news as he was now stuck in chaos at Gatwick because of the attacks. I tried to get news form the web but it had ground to a halt and I had to go out and find a radio.

I remember saying to the guys at work that even if they never found the guy who did it (at that time it hadn't been linked to anyone and I'd only ever heard of Bin Laden from a chapter in an autobiography from a BBC reporter who's name escapes me right now) they'd have to go to war with somebody just to vent their anger.
  16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I was at work, which at the time was Morgan Stanley. I'm told that Morgan Stanley had more floors in the twin towers than any the one company, so you can imagine what it was like in the London offices. Everyone was in the dining areas watching the big screen projection TV's, or gathered on the trading floors to view the plasmas.

Very, very weird day :(.
  17. shambolic macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I'd just arrived at work on the 14th floor of the old New York Telephone building across the street from the North tower of the WTC. Heard engine sounds and a bang. My colleague turned to me and asked "what the hell was that?" to which I responded, quite accurately by my standards, "well, it sounded as if a plane hit a building".

We were then instructed to get out of the building, going down the stairs rather than taking the elevator, and stood out on West Street to see the building ablaze. The buzz on the street was that there was a bomb. A few minutes later we were told to go back inside. We just about managed to return to our office and hook up the TV in our conference room in time to see the second plane hit, with a simultaneous shudder going through our own building.

"That tower's leaning!" exclaimed a co-worker, and that was it... even though the boss wasn't in yet, we all decided we were getting out of there ASAP... well, apart from one colleague who we had to practically drag out as he had a report due that day.

So we got onto one of the last uptown subway trains after the planes hit and were well clear before the towers fell. The rest of my morning was spent walking around midtown Manhattan hearing second-hand tales of the day's further attacks (Pentagon, Pennsylvania, etc), and worrying about what my family (in England) must be thinking, given that they knew I worked right by the WTC.

I remember spending that night on the couch at my sister-in-law's place in Brooklyn (as I couldn't figure out how to get back to Staten Island once I was in midtown) and the news reports were just numbing - at one point they were saying there could've been tens of thousands killed. For a while, it seemed life would just never return to normal. I've never been more happy and relieved to see my wife as I was the next day when she picked me up.

Four years later, we're still exiled from our old building (which I believe was the closest building to Ground Zero that didn't collapse), working from Brooklyn instead, but my company survived and so did everyone I know, so I have to be thankful for that...
  18. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Well since I was working 3rd shift during that time I had just gone to bed. When I woke up around 2PM I didn't even turn on my TV since I had to be at my second job at 3:00 that day. So as I'm on my way to work I had to go near the Buffalo airport and noticed that it was really quiet so I turned on my radio (started with a cd and never knew what happened) and heard what was going on. Total shock or more disbelief what had happened when I was sleeping. It was about half an hour later at work when I looked and all my clients had canceled that day and the next. The thing that got me was none of my family called me to let me know what was going on (just moved into my new and first house) so the whole thing was a very surreal feeling that day and night to say the least.
  19. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    'll never forget that day.

I had just bought a new car a few days earlier and remembered enjoying my drive to my fairly new job near Baltimore.

My partner was living in DC and could see the Pentagon smoking from our apartment...one of our dearest friends saw the Pentagon plane fly right past his 18th floor condo...bah, I better stop before I cry.

I was really on top of the world - I was going to England in a couple of weeks to meet my new employer, new car, my own office...endless opporutnities...and then it all came crashing down - the towers and my life, really.

Got laid off after returning from England, went unemployed for nearly a year...

I still get very sad if I look at the pictures.
  20. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2005
    Like most Australians, I slept through it. I woke up to the radio talking about planes crashing and terrorist attacks. I thought "there's not a war on, is there?" I naïvely thought "I wonder if the news is still on" so turned on the TV. I don't think I moved from the TV for about 8 hours.

The cliché is "it changed the world" but it really did.
  21. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    I had just got back from holiday a few days earlier and was relaxing at home, waiting to go back to Uni.

I had been watching TV in the background when they had the breaking news come up about a plane crashing into one of the 2 towers. I first thought how is it possible a pilot can crash into buildings that big, especially with all the warning systems they have. But when they showed the second plane go in, I realised it must be Islamic terrorists.
  22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    In geography, actually. Which, just to sound weird, was where I was during the July 7th London attacks. And the failed London ones (can't remember the date)

But don't fear! I've dropped it this year, so the attacks should clear up...
  23. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    in washington dc. differential equations class.

walked outside at 9:40ish to people rushing to leave town, national gaurdsmen and policemen driving hummers around- general confusion and terror.

spent the day looking for a red cross station to give blood- the red cross building was already closed.

watched the smoke from the pentagon from my aprtment.

terrible day. not something i'll ever forget.
  24. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    I was getting ready for work when the attacks happened. I did not hear about them until I was in my car driving. I was listening to an alternative rock station often known for pulling pranks, so when they first said the US was "under attack" and that both WTC buildings and the Pentagon had been hit by commerical airliners, I thought it was a sick joke done in poor taste... you know, like War of the Worlds or something.

I quickly switched to NPR and heard the same report and I then realized it was true. I went to work - at the time I was an operator in the tech support department of a software company. We received very few calls that day and most of my dept alternated between checking news sites (when we could reach them) and a TV in the other room. The few calls we received were from international customers, many of them offered their condolences. I don't think we received one call from an American customer that afternoon.
  25. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    standing on my apartment roof watching the smoking towers. i lived in brooklyn at the time, and watched as the smoke billowed out towards me. i used to live a few hundred yards from the wtc, but moved out to brooklyn the year before 9/11, still used to go through it every day on the way to work though (the N train). i was going to go shopping that morning in the mall beneath the towers, but woke up late (i was working afternoons at the time, and then decided not to rush and get there, so just took it easy (building my new lego technics star wars tie bomber that arrived the day before :eek: , until i heard the news that is).

i ended up watching the tv all day, desparately trying to contact everyone in england (all my family is there) to let them know i was ok. the only person i couldn't get through to was my mother, finally managed to get an email through saying i was fine, and she hadn't heard what was going on (no tv's or anything in her office), then her boss walks in with the news and she's worried as all hell, not understanding my email. then five minutes later i got through on the phone.

i still remember the smell more than anything, and then the sounds of the firefighter's locater things. i used to work just below 14th st (which was a cut off point) so i managed to get there later in the week, but it was just so surreal. some of our clients were having a breakfast meeting in the Windows of the World that morning, only two survived, one 'cause he was late, the other went out to get some more magazines or something (in advertising). other than that, i'd consider myself extremely lucky, everyone i know that works there was fine, amazingly no one i personally know was hurt that day (physically anyway, plenty of emotional pain though)