9 Dead, 12 Injured When SUV Attempts to Flee Border Patrol

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clayj, Aug 7, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14233044/

Idiots. Cram 22 illegal immigrants into a single SUV and then enter the US, then try to run from the Border Patrol and kill almost half the people in the vehicle (and injure almost all of the others).

Now I expect we'll hear more condemnation from the Mexican government about how these folks had some sort of RIGHT to be in the US and how the US government is evil for attempting to apprehend them.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Compassion has little to do with the truth.

4. Lau Guest

Are they idiots because they're illegal immigrants or idiots because they rolled their car?

5. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Exactly.

These folks are dead because the idiot behind the wheel attempted to elude the Border Patrol while driving a seriously overloaded (and probably top-heavy) SUV, not because the Border Patrol tried to stop them... if they'd surrendered peacefully, they'd've been deported back to wherever, but they'd still be alive.

They're idiots because they rolled their car while attempting to escape the authorities.

They're criminals for having been there in the first place. When someone dies in the commission of a crime, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them. They should have stayed home, where they'd be still alive, or they should have surrendered, where (again) they'd still be alive.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So I guess the question is, how angry are people going to get that these criminals are receiving medical care with taxpayer money? I bet it's pretty angry...

7. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Let's see... 12 people in the hospital, with 5 of them in "critical" condition.

That bill ain't gonna be cheap... I'd suggest that the US bill the Mexican government for the expense of patching these folks up until they're well enough to be deported.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yep... pretty angry all right. So what's your reasoning behind why the Mexican government should pay? Was it their fault these 'idiots' did what they did?

Should the US government pay for any damages caused by private citizens abroad? Would you feel good as a taxpayer about paying for hospital care or other costs incurred by the drunken American idiots who frequent TJ?

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Well, mac. I took that to be somewhat sarcastic, and if so, here's one who got it. If not.......
    edit: Okay, good to see.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nah, I'm cool with national healthcare. Even the high cost of this incident is but a drop in the bucket in terms of health care costs in this country.

I'm not interested in turning people away from emergency rooms...

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Nice straw man. Knock it down some more.

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I'm concerned with the tenor of hatred and lack of compassionate commentary around these parts. It's beyond scary. Anyway, good to know I heard you right.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't see anyone doing that. They may have been criminals, but they were still people. Not saying what they did was right, but I can't say I take pleasure in their deaths.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

damn them for wanting a better life! damn them all to hell!

have i got it right?

15. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

I don't think I expressed anywhere that I took any pleasure in people dying. I don't. I just think they died very, very stupidly.

But I guarantee you that someone in the Mexican government will condemn the US for having chased these folks in the first place.

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Regrettably, I'm afraid so. I like your glasses, though.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So does derision of lesser species.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

can you see me!?!?!

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Stupid? Yes. Doing something wrong? Yes. For the right reason at first? Yes. I just feel they deserve pity more than scorn because of the apparent desperation. But I can't really say what I would have done because I am not in their shoes.

I still don't see that happening, but if so I doubt anyone who isn't a crackpot will agree with them. I just don't agree with the straw man approach, nor of the tone of your first post. I would think you'd be more sympathetic than judgmental. Not that I agree with what they did either, just happen to feel bad for them. Especially those not driving, who also must have desperate.

20. aquajet macrumors 68020

Which crime do you refer to, exactly? Illegally crossing the border, or evasion of border patrol officers? Does it matter to you?

Your article provides little detail. How do we know what transpired in the vehicle when the driver detected the first sign of trouble? Did they all agree to flee recklessly in an overloaded vehicle? Did some scream in terror and disagreement as the driver fled? We don't know, and I think it's a bit cold to discount all sympathy simply because they shouldn't have been here in the first place. Remember, they likely just wanted better lives for themselves.

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

No. The truth is that it would not be surprising to see "more condemnation from the Mexican government about how these folks had some sort of RIGHT to be in the US and how the US government is evil for attempting to apprehend them." Such a comment may not be compassionate, but compassion is irrelevant when considering the truth of the matter asserted.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The Mexican gov't has been pretty careful about what statements are released to the press. I seriously doubt that they would make a stink about this one. Had the SUV been shot at by the National Guard, it would have been different.

I really fail to see the reason for your and clayj's outrage. Something tells me it's not about the crash of the SUV and more about American xenophobia.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't think nbs' comment has anything to do with xenophobia or outrage, he's just commenting on the first exchange of posts.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

So, has the Mexican government complained or made any noises about this incident, yet?

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's not about what they have done, it's about what they may have done in clayj's parallel (paranoid?) universe.