9 GB base library

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amfr, Jan 17, 2007.

1. amfr macrumors member

Nov 24, 2006
    On recieveing may my macbook, I found that my 80 gb hd had only 62 gb free.
    6 gb = formatting
    2 gb = System
    1 gb = Other stuff
    and... 9 gb = library folder????
    Is this normal?
    My powerbooks' (both of them) libraries are only 2-3 gb.
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    That's about right. The new iLife apps take up a lot of space in your Library folders...iDVD themes, GarageBand loops, etc.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    iLife 06 is also much larger than iLife 05... iWeb themes, GB loops, and there were a number of new iDVD themes, IIRC.

Although...notably, on my iMac G5 with 10.4.8 and iLife 06, as well as a large variety of other things installed, my /Library is 9 gigs *now*.
  4. junkster macrumors regular

Nov 6, 2006
    The big memory hogs are GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD. If you never plan on using those, just delete them.

Honestly, 62GB is pretty good. I have most of the big apps still around, plus all the Apple developer tools, and I'm at around 58 or 59 GB. I fully expect that that upgrade to Leopard and iLife '07 is going to eat up at least 5GB more, too.
  5. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Also if the iWork trial is still put on new machines - Keynote is over a gig and Pages is nearly 900MB.
  6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

Jun 20, 2005
    What you can do is: as soon as you get your MacBook, you should do a format and install of OS X. That way you can get rid of all the crap you're not using and only install what you need/want. That will save a lot of disk space.

Memory is the wrong term to use. We're talking about disk storage and not RAM. Another thing is, the App's themselves don't take up much storage, it's all the loop files and themes that come with them. I know where they are but, some people may not want to go fishing in their Library folders to delete stuff. I suggest a format and reinstall of OS X.
  7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Not exactly. An "80GB" drive only has a real life capacity of 74.5GB because drive manufacturers represent 1GB as 1 billion bytes.
  8. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004
    You can also remove all the print drivers and any additional languages you don't need.

There are some freeware programs out there to help you do that stuff - I don't remember what I used with my PowerBook though...

I also removed iMovie, iDVD, iWeb & Garageband from my PB to free up space. I keep them on my iMac though. I can't do that stuff on the road, but it's never been an issue.