Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Perhaps a few of the users had made an error in their maximum bid. thinking it was Yen as opposed to Dollars ?

Otherwise it must be some shady dealings between the high bidder and the seller.

I don't want to know the Ebay and Paypal fee for such a high amount of money!

darrengreer

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Ended at $14K. Crazy. Must be filled with something _very_ special. Screams money laundering to me.

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2005
wallock said:
No this is VERY common. What happened was...

Two scammers BOTH bid ridiculously high amounts with stolen accounts and were both trying to simply win and offer the seller a fake money order or something. I tried selling a laptop recently and had 3 auctions end to scammers with stolen accounts who will try to pay with a stolen PayPal account and try to have it shipped elsewhere.

It is getting really bad and costing eBay tons of money. It is SO easy to keep an account safe on eBay, but people fall for the silliest emails.

At any rate, yea, it is just two scammers that tried to win the auction.

Oh... makes sense....

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Definately scammers. One guy raised the pirce from $1500ish to $6000ish. Then another one made two bids in a row $4000 apart. It is scammers.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
wallock said:
No, definitely not. The guy who won is the high bidder on various other items from various other people. There are much easier and efficient ways to launder money. I have no reason to suspect the seller is a scammer and if they are, it is likely by coincidence.

I don't think that really matters if the account is STOLLEN, meaning it's someone elses account and they are just using it. No idiot would pay 14k for an old pbook 12" when you can buy a brand new up to date one for less then 3k

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.