$9,G'S to spend on a editing system can u help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Danteinferno, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Danteinferno macrumors newbie

me configure a setup.

Minus the monitor. I have the 30' mac cine display.

where should i spend the money... ?

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

a little more information about your needs would help. what kind of editing system?

3. SRSound macrumors 6502

4. Danteinferno thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry

lol...

No i have 9 grand to spend. How wisely should i spend that money on configuring a system within that budget range. (-) the monitor. Just other hardware... Mac Pro and load it with.......????

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

VERY UN-wisely, grasshopper.

6. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

yeah, but that's just it... it is impossible to recommend wise use of resources for a system if no information on what it is to be used for is given. 9 Gs is a lot, but you could easily use that before maxing out RAM on a 2.0 rig.

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

hows this;

Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    8GB (4 x 2GB)
    500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI)
    Two 16x SuperDrives
    Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
    Mac OS X - U.S. English
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro/Power Mac (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

$8,991 US :D

8. Danteinferno thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, its for Editing film/ tv...i would like to use Final Cut Pro.

im new to the 'mac world' so bare with me when it comes to specifics.

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I would go with this, since it adds a second 30-incher, which you could always use!

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    8GB (8 x 1GB)
    750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
    Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
    Two 16x SuperDrives

$8,942

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

How about this one?

Attached Files:

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i would add that (final cut studio) to the machine

12. Danteinferno thread starter macrumors newbie

are there better video cards that i should look into maybe other than what mac offer's on the site. I dont mind spending up to another $1,000 on a video card if i have to.

but im confused reg: the video card. Im reading from other mac sites that a higher end card is no that nessesary if im going with the 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i say go with the better video card

14. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Here's what I would get ...

Specifications

4GB (4 x 1GB)
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI)
    Two 16x SuperDrives
    Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
    Mac OS X - U.S. English
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro/Power Mac (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

That leaves $1000 (before taxes) for Final Cut Studio.

Good luck.

15. Danteinferno thread starter macrumors newbie

FCP has already been purchased outside the budget.

thanks for reminding me thou.

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

but you need final cut studio, not just final cut pro. or maybe you don't, but i'd get it if i were you

17. Danteinferno thread starter macrumors newbie

yup... i got "Studio"
    now all i need is a syestem....

lol

18. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I'd go with this config:
    8GB (4 x 2GB)
    ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
    Two 16x SuperDrives
    Mac OS X - U.S. English

You will need the 3ghz proc for intense rendering and the general running of FCS. 8 gigs of RAM will guarentee that it will never slow down while you are rendering, the drives give you 3tb of storage space- more than enough to for scratch and render disks, at least to start out with. The x1900 will be plenty of video power for you as you are not doing 3d modeling, and the two superdrives will be helpful for when you need to burn DVDs.

Hope that helps!

19. theWholeTruth macrumors member

Are you a professional or are you trying to start up a business?

The editing configuration can vary depending on what format you will be editing with. A Sony beta deck can start at $5G...bottom of the line Sony DV/DVCAM (DSR-11) can run $1500. NTSC monitor can be $500. MAckie mixer another few hundred. Maybe you want some good speakers...You'll need an I/O box like a Kona card...and don't forget scopes...the list goes on...

The computer and hard drives are just a teeny part of a professional editing station. 9G's is not alot...however for someone who is starting out, I wouldn't advise dumping that much into a system until you have solid work. Still, more info is needed to properly advise you.

20. Danteinferno thread starter macrumors newbie

several people have told me to stay away from the ATI 1900... do you know of any problems with it??

21. Danteinferno thread starter macrumors newbie

no the company i work with have the dv decks and other goodies. Its just that the person who did the NLE sys' had got another job and now they've left it to me to do...

im not that knowlagable with the guts of the systems. More along the lines of simply editing... (avid). Trust me this is something i don't really want to be doing. They gave me a budget this is what i have to work with.

God help me. :confused: :(

22. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

Here is what you get...the main stuff is the 3 ghz and get 4 X 2gb sticks of Ram. For HD's I'd get a WD Raptor for my OS, and then buy more with the extra money. Graphics go with the ATI Radeon X1900 XT. Its a GREAT card and the Quadro is only better if you are going to do 3D rendering stuff. Like for molecular sciences, but for your needs the ATI is perfect. Both Bluetooth and airport and get 2 optical drives. Wireless Keyboard and mouse and Applecare and that's a sick setup. If you buy RAM from a third party there are a little cheaper, but I'm not sure if AppleCare covers them... I don't think they do, so probably safer to stick with Apple Ram.

23. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

this post seems really odd.. am I the only one that thinks so? "9 G's" seems like a lot for someone that doesnt seem to know what theyre talking about. If someone had 9 grand they could afford to spend on a computer, wouldnt they be sophisticated enough to make sensical posts?

I think all the mac fans in here are blinded by their ability to reccomend 9 grand worth of apple product.. lol

24. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Well, he says he's been given 9k by a company to do a job he's not sure he's capable of doing on his own, so it seems good-natured to try and help him.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If it all has to be purchased together, or you're not comfortable with doing any hardware upgrades (even RAM or drives), buy the fully decked out dual 3. 8GB of RAM, 4x 750GB drives, Radeon x1900 (the higher card won't help you with video, unless you're doing a lot of 3D, even then - check Barefeats.com), dual DVD drives, wireless, modem if you need it, and AppleCare. If you can do some upgrades yourself, you can get the RAM from MacSales.com and some hard drives and or a second optical (DVD) drive from Newegg with the full 5 year warranty for cheaper, then spend the extra on a second monitor if you don't already have one. Even 8GB of RAM is overkill for now, since FCP can't see more than about 2.5GB at the moment, but it'll come in handy in the future when FCS and OS X are upgraded. Always better to have more RAM.

Of course, new Quad core models are coming in a couple of months or so, and so is the next OS 10.5, so if you can wait a bit, might be worth it. If not, buy now, enjoy. This isn't really that hard, you seem kinda stressed considering. I wish I had your problem. :p