Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 90nm PowerPCs Arrive

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Without pulling one apart, all I can go on is what's listed on Apple's site. Do they count the PSU fan on the PowerMac?

Yes they count the PSU in the 9 total fans on the powermac.

I dug in some, and you're right, there are just 8 fans in the new Xserve

EDIT: There are 10! 7 for the CPUs, 1 for the PCI, and 2 for the PSU.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by jamdr
Seriously, what is wrong with Apple? If the 90nm chips are ready, why the **** did they not release updated PowerMacs or PowerBooks? Who cares about the XServes? I know the answer--no one. This MacWorld was the most disappointing I can ever remember. They released nothing that most people will be interested in. The new iPods are a ridiculous rip-off. $249 for only 4gb or $300 for 15gb? That's a no-brainer! What kind of idiot would buy the new iPod?!? At the most, it should cost $199, and $149 would have been even better.

I don't care about GarageBand, and I'm pretty sure not very many other people will, either. What a waste of time and money for Apple engineers. So the only thing of interest at Macworld is bad news--now I have to pay for iPhoto! Yippee! Way to go Apple. I only use two of your iApps, iTunes and iPhoto, and now I have to pay for a whole suite of useless junk like GarageBand and iDVD just to get one program I want. At least sell them separately for $10 or something.

Why do you have to answer for everyone?

First a lot of people care about the Xserves. Any businesses or universities and schools care about these. Local University here just put in a buy order for 5 top of the line G5 Xserves and 5, 3.5 terabytes.

First anyone looking at iPod mini is someone that doesn't want the bigger iPod. They want small and compact and are willing to pay for it. The Rio Nitrus is the same price at 4GB. So this is what Apple is competeting against and the high end flash market which bought $200 Flash Rio's all last yr.

I have feeling your not interested in Garageband because you do not play a musical instrument, but I do and I'm insterested. I'm that HALF SJ was talking about.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Originally posted by manitoubalck
Also that means that Apple have chips on 180nm, 130nm and 90nm cores.

Apple hasn't had a chip on a 180nm core since the PPC750cxe was dropped in favor of the PPC750fx for G3-branded computers. I think that was in early-to-mid 2002.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
Apple hasn't had a chip on a 180nm core since the PPC750cxe was dropped in favor of the PPC750fx for G3-branded computers. I think that was in early-to-mid 2002.

Um, all the G4's Apple were using in Powermacs were 0.18 micron, the G4's in the iBook are (as far as I can tell) 0.18 micron, ditto the emac and imac

the only .13 G4's Apple have used to my knowledge are the ones in the current Powerbooks

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Who cares about the XServes? I know the answer--no one.

Well, I care about the xServes, as does the corporation I work for, so guess what - your ignorant comment has just been proven completely false.

What kind of idiot would buy the new iPod?!?

I guess we'll see when sales figures are reported in the next quarter. I guess be your comment that these mini iPod sales figure will be a direct representation of how many idiots there are. :rolleyes: Once again, a narrow-minded, insulting comment. Well done.

I don't care about GarageBand, and I'm pretty sure not very many other people will, either. What a waste of time and money for Apple engineers.

Really? Well I care about garage band, so guess what - you've been proven wrong yet again. Well done. A waste of time? Yah, I'm sure there are going to be a lot of people who agree with you on that one. :rolleyes:

It's fine to state your thoughts and opinions, but quite generalizing - just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else won't as well. Quit bashing these new apps, and indirectly bashing the people who like them and will use them.

Congratulations on writing the most narrow-minded, ignorant post I have read on these forums in quite some time. I'm not even going to take time to respond to rest of your narrow-minded bashing - it's not worth my time or effort.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
The really interesting thing about this chip is the die size. 66mm^2. That makes sense, since it's half (roughly) of the old die size, but normally something (more cache, for example) would be added to it to bring it back up to the original size. I have to wonder why they need such a small chip (trying to get the price down, perhaps).

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Originally posted by Chryx
Um, all the G4's Apple were using in Powermacs were 0.18 micron, the G4's in the iBook are (as far as I can tell) 0.18 micron, ditto the emac and imac

the only .13 G4's Apple have used to my knowledge are the ones in the current Powerbooks

According to Motorola, the MPC7445/55 and the MPC7447/57 are all 130-nanometer chips. The PPC750cxe was the last 180-nanometer chip in Apple's lineup.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Impressive lack of insight.

Seriously, what is wrong with Apple? If the 90nm chips are ready, why the

YADA YADA YADA YADA..............

Impressive jamdr. You know the ins and out of apple's hardware development. Please enlighten us on the steps they use for developing products, testing them for bugs, and quality assurance. I've always wondered. Oh I'm sorry you DON'T know this info do you?

And of course you KNOW for certain that everyone else in the Apple community is concerned with exactly the same things you are. Wow. Oh sorry maybe you ARE mistaken. Maybe there are musicians that are salivating at GarageBand. Maybe there are companies that are salivating at the though of upgrading their aging server. This once again earmarks my point that a certain percentage of Mac users, as agent smith would say, are concerned about ME ME ME ME ME.

Think beyond your own little world for one dang second. The updates to the server line has been a long time coming. The updates to the iLife apps will hopefully bring massive improvement to the apps and you know what? If you don't like paying for them then don't spend the money. What is $50? $50 is a couple computer games. $50 is a DVD series set. $50 is a couple tanks of gas and $50 is a set of applications that up til now Apple has been handing out to the Apple community for FREE. Boo hoo I'm sorry that people expect everything on a silver platter. R&D, coding, and the like aren't free. You ARE given a choice here. Either cough up the cash and get the new apps or be happy with what you have. Simple no?

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
very insighful... <-- sarcasm

Seriously, what is wrong with Apple? If the 90nm chips are ready, why the **** did they not release updated PowerMacs or PowerBooks? Who cares about the XServes? I know the answer--no one.
wow, I know someone who's buying half a dozen. I work with him. I'm going to ask for one... I expect that without asking, I know a dozen people at my University who will be managing at least one of these within 6 months.

This MacWorld was the most disappointing I can ever remember.
Apple lurks in these forums so I'm sure SJ will be very disappointed to hear you weren't sufficiently entertained by the semi-annual corporate marketing love fest

They released nothing that most people will be interested in. The new iPods are a ridiculous rip-off. $249 for only 4gb or $300 for 15gb? That's a no-brainer! What kind of idiot would buy the new iPod?!?
I'm touched by the warmth. I own a 10GB Gen2 iPod and I'd prefer a mini. the MUCH smaller size is more important to me in the gym than the larger capacity.

At the most, it should cost $199, and $149 would have been even better.
too bad they didn't negotiate a better deal with you. Apparently you can get the components cheaper.

I don't care about GarageBand, and I'm pretty sure not very many other people will, either. What a waste of time and money for Apple engineers.
That's funny, I was about to drop hundreds of dollars for audio software that does MUCH less than garageband. In fact, everyone I talked to around the office thought Garageband was the coolest thing they've ever seen. I've got a guy who plays instruments who said "I'm gonna have to buy a Mac now", and a guy who used to play guitar a while ago say "I've always wanted to teach myself piano.. I'll have to buy a Mac now"
These were Unix Admins who use OS X at work, but own linux/windows boxes at home. These are people who actually feel compelled to purchase a home Macintosh now.

What a waste of time and money for Apple engineers.

thanks for your insightful commentary. You should stop by Apple's web site. They have a feed back submission email that you should use.. before they become "beleagured" and go out of business.

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
Shard and SiliconAddict beat me to it, and DHM is at his same rant once more.

Why is it that so many mac users are completely, utterly focused on their own wants, but don't care one whit about what's keeping the company afloat. Research, design, fabbing, new deals with suppliers, and all the other aspects of creating the machines we all know and love does not come for free. When a company creates a sytem from the ground up, and not just a box that runs someone else's code, that takes a whole lote more effort than some pick-and-choose PC clone vendor's hackneyed part storm.

Yes, there are more choices on the PC side of the fence, and I could probably have a faster machine than I currently do for the same money (eMac 700 and iBook 600, for those who don't know). The difference between what sits on my desk and travels around with me is that they both run the single best operating system I have ever purchased. OS X makes the mac experience for me, even more than any previous version has, and I've been in the Apple game since I was three years old. I cut my teeth, literally, on an Apple IIe that cost my parents roughly $2000-2200 dollars, came with two 5.25" floppy drives, and had no HD. That was in 1984, people... Adjust that for inflation, and I could buy one PC-stomping G5 dualie for the $4500-$6000 that money would represent now. Yet you want to complain that there aren't cheap enough iPods, when the competition just barely matches a totally new product from Apple?

Pshaw!

I say that Jobs is doing, for lack of a better word, his job. The company is stronger than it's been in a decade, we're riding the technological forefront once more, and things like iTMS and the G5 are going to keep costing Cupertino the big bucks. Let's quit griping, or go vote with your dollars. All that's going to matter is if you buy, and I sure as hell am going to keep on spending my cash on the latest and greatest.

TW & family currently own:
2x iMac 15" 800/512/60/SuperDrive
eMac 700/512/40/SuperDrive - bought new
2x iBook 12" 600/640/14/Combo - bought used, upgraded
iBook 12" 500/640/20/Combo - bought new, upgraded
PowerMac "Sawtooth" 1.4/832/120 SATA/CD-RW - bought new, upgraded later
iMac Graphite 600/320/40/CD-RW - bought new
iMac DV Ruby 400/320/10/CD - bought new
iMac Grape 333/288/6/CD - bought new
iMac Bondi 233/160/4/CD - bought new
2x iPod 5GB - bought new
1x iPod 20GB - bought new
Panther
Airport Base Station
4 Airport cards

I'll spare you the clones and even older machines. We love Apple, have always loved Apple, and frequently adopt new tech as it comes out. If it weren't for money concerns, my dad and I would both have shelled out for G5s when the dualie 1.8s came out. Pay for what you get, people, otherwise there isn't an Apple to keep passing us such wonderful computers. No matter how many times DHM says that I'm wrong, my eMac and iBook 600 are both perfectly serviceable for what I do. I'd just like to have that beautiful aluminum tower to play some games in high resolution. :D

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
Originally posted by ffakr
I'm touched by the warmth. I own a 10GB Gen2 iPod and I'd prefer a mini. the MUCH smaller size is more important to me in the gym than the larger capacity.

There's also something else that these guys are ignoring about a high-end flash player. It's not prone to head-crashes, like an HD-based player would be, and so is much more resilient a machine for people who are actually active and want more than 256, 512, 1024, or however many MB of music you're going to squeeze out of Rio or Creative.

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone complain about Apple only being price-competitive with the rest of the market. How dare they sell something that's better at the same price as their weaker competition (Rio), or even less expensive than others (Creative)? :rolleyes:

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
It's interesting to see the responses to my comments. Admittedly, the post was a bit rash, but I was only reacting to a very disappointing Macworld keynote. Now for my defense...

Are the XServes important? Of course. I know many businesses and universities will be interested in them. However, that doesn't change the fact that the focus of the keynote should have been Apple's primary consumer--the average computer user. Apple sells many, many more PowerBooks, iMacs, and PowerMacs than it does XServes. Their most important product is the personal computer. Period. You think their market share is small in the PC sector? Look what it is for servers. Thus, I think they should use the SF keynote, with all of the free advertising that goes along with it, to introduce products that their primary consumer will be interested in.

Apple's PowerBooks have sold extremely well in the last year, so why not eke out a little more performance, possibly a 1.25/1.4 for the low/high end, to put them back in the spotlight? No matter how small the upgrade is, you can bet it will be on the evening news and the front page of the business section of the SF Chronicle the next day. So, yes--personally, I don't care about the XServes, but neither do most of Apple's customers. And that's a fact.

As for GarageBand, I don't see how the few users on this forum that say "I want to buy it, so that makes it worthwhile for Apple" are any different than me saying that it was a waste of development resources. I'm sure a few musicians out there are happy, but only a very specific audience will buy this app. True, as Jobs said, there are many musicians out there. But how many of them use Macs? And how many of them are at the level that GB appeals to? And of those, how many are going to spend $50 on it? I'm a musician (albeit, not a very serious one), I do use Macs, and I'm probably even at the level where I could make some use of GB. But I still don't want it. I'm just saying Apple is going to have a tough time selling this thing to the masses, which is exactly who the other iApps appeal to. Everyone.

Thanks for listening.

uberman42

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Jamdr is right nice that Xserve got a G5 how many of those are going to be sold this year compared to how many G5 Imacs could be sold if they had one? Consumers outnumber the pro's by 100-1. Apple should focus on selling to the consumer but instead they focus on not stepping on other Macs they make toes so in effect they try to market old technology( slow old G4's, geforce 4mx,slow busses,1/2 used ram, non upgradeable machines to the consumer and then they wonder why they are still at 5% market share. Great they are a leader in MP3 players, what about consumer computers? In Feb 2001 you could buy a Imac with the same speed as Powermac 500mhz. i guess Imac/Emac can look for more hand me downs and Apple will make sure those hand me downs will be reduced in some ways so again they dont compete with Powermacs or Much else. 90nm 970's are Great but the Machine that needs them the most is Imac. Just give it the 2.0 G5. Oh well maybe they will get this one day. Here's to waiting.

G5 xserve is very important. they need to entrench themselves in the enterprise space. This is high profit margin territory that apple needs to capture. This drives mindshare of CIOs and IT buyers. And eventually this drives their procurement of Mac desktops in the corporate environment. And if suit and ties are using macs as desktops, then they will probably buy a mac when it comes to a home computer.

I think there is something in store for End of January (Superbowl). The stars are aligning. iMac gone...something in it's place. Maybe THE Machintosh.

McMike

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Warsaw, Poland
Sleep, sleep, sleep

I have to agree with some of you out there this was the most boring keynote for... a while. I barely could stay awake :(

BUT this is just my point of view! I don't need a Xserve although I think it's great they went G5. I don't want the iPod mini I'd rather spend 50$ more for the 15GB but I quite sure SJ wouldn' t have introduced them if he wasn't sure they're going to sell! About the iApps: I hope the updates still will be free because I wouldn't be particularly happy if I had to pay for them but I will if I have to! Maybe just to play one day with GB although I'n not a musician.

So despite all my concerns I'm happy for the people who liked the keynote and need the products!

Maybe there will be something for me at WWDC... or even earlier :cool:

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
Admittedly, the post was a bit rash, but I was only reacting to a very disappointing Macworld keynote. Now for my defense...

Disappointing for you, perhaps. For some of us, it was a sign of a healthy, forward-looking Apple.

Apple sells many, many more PowerBooks, iMacs, and PowerMacs than it does XServes. Their most important product is the personal computer. Period.

Perhaps, and perhaps not.

Let's spin out a scenario, shall we? Take the unprecedented success of Big Mac, the attention paid to it, and the sudden appearance of a cluster node at the Apple store, add a dash of institutional behavior, season with increasingly compatible xserve RAID, and allow to simmer. What you might have at the end is the rise of Apple-powered clusters at large bodies (universities, corporations, national laboratories, etc.), where they'll be hiring/training IT people to support OS X. These IT people will probably want to standardize, won't they?

Glory of glories, that 30,000 student university now needs laptops /desktopsfor incoming freshmen (my first university did this)! Who do the techs turn to but the same company they already have powering their big, shiny cluster... Apple then sells 8000 ibook/imac units to this place a year.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Apple's PowerBooks have sold extremely well in the last year, so why not eke out a little more performance, possibly a 1.25/1.4 for the low/high end, to put them back in the spotlight?

Pardon me while I laugh!

You want Apple, who has just been thoroughly screwed for years by Motorola, to rely on them for a hihg-profile event? What, exactly, is in it for them, when there's IBM and the 970/980, 750vx, 300-derived portable chip, and other actually exciting possibilities?

A bump of 100mhz in the G4 laptop? Ho-hum. Making a portalbe player that's the size of a thin stack of business cards, market-competitive, and as stylish and simple as any Apple product? I think we see who's missed the boat here...

As for GarageBand, I don't see how the few users on this forum that say "I want to buy it, so that makes it worthwhile for Apple" are any different than me saying that it was a waste of development resources.

How does it make it the opposite of waste? They're paying money for it, or will be, and they know other people who'll be sheling out, too. That's the definition of a good use of resources, since people are actually buying it.

I'm sure a few musicians out there are happy, but only a very specific audience will buy this app. True, as Jobs said, there are many musicians out there. But how many of them use Macs?

Well, that's it, guys! Someone call Apple and tell them to sell off Logic, FinalCut, Shake, DVD Studio, and anything else even vaguely related to content creation... While you're at it, get Adobe, Quark, and all the others on the line. Macs aren't insanely strong in design shops, production houses, advertising, and music, after all.

And how many of them are at the level that GB appeals to? And of those, how many are going to spend $50 on it?

This is the one place you have a solid point, and that's only because of all the whiners who won't drop $50 for an ipod that costs $249 instead of $199. :rolleyes:

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
According to Motorola, the MPC7445/55 and the MPC7447/57 are all 130-nanometer chips. The PPC750cxe was the last 180-nanometer chip in Apple's lineup.

* goes to Motorola *

by jove, that's what they're saying.

trust me on this, that's a new thing, I can only presume '7455' now means 'G4e with 256KB L2', and it explains the cool running nature of the ibook g4's

Motorola didn't have a .13 G4 out there until the 7447 however, this means they've transistioned the 7455 to a new process, not that the 750CXe was the last .18 chip to see the light of day.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Steve wanted to refocus attention on GOOD things

At first, like most of us, I greeted the speech as pretty boring - not too much of interst other than the servers, and an mini iPod that seemed a little too pricey.

But on further reflection, I think Steve (and his speechwriters) knew exactly what they were doing - trying to regain the focus on the great things of the Mac OS and platform.

1. I think Steve wanted to downplay new hardware because Apple has screwed up all it's new hardware releases the last 6 months. The G5 release was a fiasco - remember all the posts here 4 months ago, screaming at Apple and the way that the supercomputer cluster got bumped to the head of the line. And what about the Powerbook 15" screen.:rolleyes:

2. Steve wanted to use the stage to continue to press that OSX finally has great software (remember all the old OS9 holdouts?) and continues to innovate in terms of ease of use. Someone mentioned earlier the "Apple love-fest". Now he's got a room with a bunch of reporters who'll write stories on Apple and it's plans for 2004. Jobs wanted to again hit home that you need a Mac OS (with iApps) to handle all the new digital devices that overwhelm people like my Mother.

3. Steve DID release new machines - the servers. A speed bump is NOT a new machine. While a speed bump is important to us (esp. since we've fallen so far behind over the last few years), it seems like an act of desparation on Apple's part to focus only on that. Could you image the outrage on this website if Dell held a major press event for it's fiscal year and only speedbumped an existing line of computers? We'd all be LOL at them for not innovating ...

4. When the new G5 speed bumps occur in a few weeks, we'll forget all about the fact they were missing at Macworld. Apple wants to move boxes, and they understand that the early adopters have bitten - now it's time to catch those of us waiting for the revised model that everyone knows is coming.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
To answer to those calling out "why didn't Apple bump the PowerMacs".... The answer is simple. They aren't ready. Period.

If they were ready, then they would have announced them. If they could simply will things into existance, then why don't they skip the PowerMac G5s and announce PowerMac G6s?

Obviously, you get my point.

I've forgetten how bitter people get after Expos. This one wasn't even particularly hyped... and we basically knew what was going to be announced

arn

Matty P

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2003
Seriously, what is wrong with Apple? If the 90nm chips are ready, why the **** did they not release updated PowerMacs or PowerBooks? Who cares about the XServes? I know the answer--no one. This MacWorld was the most disappointing I can ever remember. They released nothing that most people will be interested in. The new iPods are a ridiculous rip-off. $249 for only 4gb or $300 for 15gb? That's a no-brainer! What kind of idiot would buy the new iPod?!? At the most, it should cost $199, and $149 would have been even better.

I don't care about GarageBand, and I'm pretty sure not very many other people will, either. What a waste of time and money for Apple engineers. So the only thing of interest at Macworld is bad news--now I have to pay for iPhoto! Yippee! Way to go Apple. I only use two of your iApps, iTunes and iPhoto, and now I have to pay for a whole suite of useless junk like GarageBand and iDVD just to get one program I want. At least sell them separately for $10 or something.

I'm with you!!!!!!!!

Samir 3.0

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2003
Power Mac

Originally posted by arn
To answer to those calling out "why didn't Apple bump the PowerMacs".... The answer is simple. They aren't ready. Period.

arn

Or maybe Apple is just trying to release them flawless...

That is what we are expexting from Apple after a year full of compliant on nearly all of their products

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
Seriously, what is wrong with Apple? If the 90nm chips are ready, why the **** did they not release updated PowerMacs or PowerBooks?

Very simple. G5 is just selling fine right now. Xserve is not. I does not make any harm to announce a G5 XServe SHIPPING IN FEBRUARY because it does not kill any significant current sales. But it does make a lot of harm to announce a replacement for well-selling product which ships only one month away. I think that the speed announcements for G5 come in line with XServe shipments.

I totally agree with you regarding new ipod.

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
my take

Everyone is saying that "the 90 nm 970s are here", but in fact, the new XServe doesn't ship until next month, and he didn't necessarily say early in the month.

So, in reality the 970s are right on schedule (reports late last year said that the 90nm 970s were coming in February or so.

Obviously, Power Mac upgrades will be forthcoming, and I am patient for those.

Even with that pragmatic approach, this was a lame Macworld keynote. He should condense the time of it if he doesn't really have much to talk about.

The Garage Band demo in particular was brutally long, and then they made us sit through what seemed like an eternity of videos featuring some obnoxious idiot from MTV telling us how great iLife is, which we already know.

Then, the entire thing was punctuated by overpriced small iPods which look well-crafted, but which aren't priced to hit the target market that Jobs said he wanted to get. (The difference between $249 and $199 is mnore than $50; if they had hit the magic sub-$200 price point, my guess is they'd sell a significantly large percentage more.)

So, I guess my only point about keynotes is: make them shorter, especially if there's nothing to say.

As for the 970s, I'm ecstatic that IBM appears to be right on schedule, and my guess is these are the exact same chips we'll see going to 2.4 Ghz, probably within a month or two.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
90 nm, yet it still requires gaping air intakes at the front? Looks like there's quite a bit more work to be done before the G5 is ready for PowerBooks.

Not exactly. Sun has lower power chips then Intel and their servers have a lot of ventilation as well. For one, servers are designed to run at heavy loads, which generate more heat. Three internal drives can also create a lot of heat. Some PCI cards can get very hot as well and processors run at the peak when they are cooler. Just because they have a lot of ventilation doesn't mean that they run very hot. This also allows an upgrade path down the road with just a chip replacement and maybe a board revision while the rest of the system can stay the same.

If you look at Apple's site, it said 6 to 8 weeks for a new X-serve. I would expect to see new PM's by then.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Seriously, what is wrong with Apple? If the 90nm chips are ready, why the **** did they not release updated PowerMacs or PowerBooks? Who cares about the XServes? I know the answer--no one.

Look at the wait times for an Xserve; 6 to 8 weeks. They released one product because it was a redesign. The PM's will get the new processor as well, but why announce something that probably won't be available right away. While they have done this in the past, they have typically not done that for an update.

ktlx

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Re: my take

Originally posted by suzerain
Even with that pragmatic approach, this was a lame Macworld keynote. He should condense the time of it if he doesn't really have much to talk about.

The Garage Band demo in particular was brutally long, and then they made us sit through what seemed like an eternity of videos featuring some obnoxious idiot from MTV telling us how great iLife is, which we already know.

I felt the same way. I did not find the product introductions bad or disappointing at all. However, it did seem like Steve fit 80-90 minutes worth of material into a 120 minute slot.

The Garage Band demo was like slow death. It is a neat product but not a market shaper. I am not sure dual G5 processor iBooks would justify that much time. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.