911 tribute

Discussion in 'Community' started by BakedBeans, Sep 10, 2004.

1. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    To all the familys that where affected by this tragedy, to the country that was attack and to the free world, what happened on september 11th has effected us all in someway... i want to say on the eve of the aniversary how truly sorry i feel for all those involved

i wanted to start a thread on our board so that we also think about things more important than our macs and our own "little worlds" and spare a moment for all those that lost
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Thank you for the tribute AL-FAMOUS.

This thread should be to honor the victims of 9/11 and all affected. Please don't use this thread to voice any political views. It's a great human tragedy and deserves our respect. It was a tragedy against all Americans and freedom loving peoples everywhere.

Our local talk radio station will be spending Saturday from 6am to 6pm in honor of 9/11. A time to reminisce.
  3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    wd, i agree, lets keep the politics out of this one... being in dc, seeing the smoke from the pentagn in the sky, watching people flee the city, seeing the city completely empty by 2 in the afternoon, the soldiers gaurding buildings, etc, etc is something that i won't ever forget. something that i still have trouble dealing with. bless all those directly affected.
  4. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    as an englishman i have never and god willing wont, ever come under terrorist fire.... its a truly sorry day for the world also...
  5. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    London, Ontario
    I dont mean to sound rude or a dick, but it happened. Lets get over it and let the people who were truly affected grieve in their own way. Its like me getting all tearied eyed because i only saw what went down on that day on tv and had no real connections to it.

Just let it go people...
  6. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    While as an American I was, of course, deeply affected by what took place 3 years ago tomorrow, I think that our time may be better spent thinking not just of what occurred on September 11, 2001, but what happens every day in so many parts of the world. While the American tragedy shined a brighter light on the issue, at least for those of us in the US, tomorrow and every day we should work to improve the world in what ways that we can. Even if it is simply helping someone we don't even know make the right decision on an iMac.

Nonetheless, AL-FAMOUS, I do appreciate your sympathy and thoughfulness. Thanks.
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I'd like to be sad about any tragedy that happens in any part of the world, and I just don't see this type of response by US media when tragedies happen in other countries. So no, I won't be watching any of the 9/11 tributes on TV today because it doesn't matter more than other occurrences. Not personally. The only reason it received so much attention is because it happened in the US, and not in a place like.....oh.....say Russia. Why not? A bit self-absorbed, aren't we? Instead of covering today's tragedies, we're supposed to look back at an event from 3 years ago? No thanks.

8. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    I was simply saying that any time we do something nice for someone else, we hopefully help to improve the world condition. It doesn't mean we need to win the Nobel Peace Prize, we just need to help our fellow person.
  9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I agree with wdlove.

[Some of this I have shared before in a more brief format. This is more detail on what I and my lover, and neighbors went through in the first couple or so days.]

I was thinking today with the weather we were having in the DC area today, just how much like it was on 9-11-01.

It brought back memories both good and bad.

I was running late for work. I arrived to the parking lot just prior to 8:45 AM. I shut off the car. For some strange reason I felt a strange "calm" overcome me. It was troublesome due to the stress of the meetings that faced me that day.

When the news finally reached us at work that the WTC had been hit not once, but twice by aircraft; we stood around a fuzzy BW TV that was kept in the office. We watched in horror. We held hands and prayed each in our own way.

My other half called during this time to complain about the place that he took his truck to have the oil change (normally he would have been at 7th and MD SW, near the Capital) had drained his oil, but never put oil back in. Instead the guy put oil in his transmission instead. I told him that both towers had been hit by planes. He told me to stop joking to make him feel better. I knew the shop and told him and the staff there to tune to the news channels. More to his story, but not fitting at this point.

When the 1st tower collapsed at about 10AM, the bosses said that anyone that wanted to go, could go. I decided to leave being I was on the other side of the Beltway. Being in the DC area, traffic was slow. But what I noticed was that people were allowing people to merge, and there was a general courtesy.

Cell lines and phone lines were jammed. I did get in touch with my lover at one point for about 45 seconds to let him know I was on my way home. When I got home he was there, the TV was on with all the horrific news that early afternoon. We hugged, kissed, and cried.

We watched the news of the horror of that day and evening. We finally decided that we needed a break, and decided to take a walk. It seemed like after a snow storm. No noise, no one around. It was strange that there weren't even the sound of birds. We live within a few miles of Dulles Airport. During our walk, I asked Teddy how much food we had. He looked panicked. I told him it wasn't that we needed it, but with the people at the airport stranded, they might like a home cooked meal.

He said he could whip something up. We took turns driving to Dulles, looking for people that wanted a place to call home, even for a hot meal. After a couple trips one of my neighbors came out and asked what was going on with us, since everyone seemed to want to stay home. I told him what we were doing. He said that he and his wife would be happy to provide meals to anyone that we couldn't.

In the end we had about three or four families on the block involved. When the land lines, cell lines, and internet connections worked; we all provided a way for these travelers to try to reach their loved ones.

We tried to find hotels close by that could put them up. For those that couldn't find a space, or had no money we opened our homes to them. It may have been a sleeping bag, or a couch; but it was a place to call home that night - and in some cases a day or two.

Not much was open that evening or the next day. One of the grocery stores had a manger there to "guard" the store. A couple of of us went over on the hopes they were open. They weren't, but we told the manager what we were doing and were running short on supplies. He told us to go around to the back door. He asked what we needed. We told him the basics of bread, milk , and toilet paper - anything that could help out at that time turned out to be about a total of 12 to 15 stranded travelers. He gave us the basics that we mentioned, but also salads and other items that would go bad in the next few days.

This is not a tribute of myself, my lover or my neighbors. It is a tribute to the people we helped. To see the change in their eyes - from despair, to hope, to what little joy there could be - is a tribute to the human spirit. To have overheard the conversations of relief between loved ones separated. To have heard the shouts from someone that got an email sent (not received, but sent).

It is a tribute to those that we offered a meal and home to stay at, that did everything they could to find their own way home. Or to find their own place to call home till flights resumed. It is a tribute to their heartfelt thanks when they left, that there were people out there that are part of the "family" of the US.

This is also a tribute to the people that my lover and I we met two months later on a trip to St. Louis. Instead of taking I-70 straight across, we decided to take and go through the Smoky's and to Memphis, and then up to St. Louis. "taking the road less traveled".

It seemed in our travels, that there was no one that we met that didn't have some connection to the WTC, Pentagon, or PA crash site. Yet they were more concerned that we had lost someone, being so much closer to that day.

This is also a tribute a friend of ours in NYC, in the Village area. It took many phone calls, and about five people to go to her flat and finally get her to come out after a week and half.

And this is a tribute to those faceless people that I saw and dealt with just about a year before. My lover had a friend that needed a ride to NYC for an interview. They were putting him up in the Millennium Hilton across from the WTC. we spent an extended weekend there (Wednesday night thru Saturday morning) there.

To this day I hope and pray that when the first plane struck that the people at Krispe Kreeme I met (and got my warm donuts from each morning) were sent home, along with the associates I met at the Borders (I think). I think about the people that I watched each work day morning, walking their way to their desk in the North and South Tower. I wonder how many had made their way home safely to their loved ones. And I pray for those that didn't.

I was in a photography class at the time. We were assigned to do night photos. I choose to do my work that weekend from my perch overlooking the WTC. Two of the photographs had won in class competition that year. Maybe it was the artist in me. Maybe it was the pain that I felt in looking at those two images, but on 9-11-02 at 10 AM I burned those negatives. I still have those two prints. And they will come out tomorrow, and go back into storage the next day. And they will do the same for as long as I live and breath.

If I focus on the WTC, it is not to slight in any way those at the Pentagon or in PA. The WTC held a special place in my heart. I have relatives in the SE CT area. My Dad always took the Garden State to the Tappen Zee. I always as a kid wanted him to go through NYC.

In 1976, just a couple years after the "birth" of the WTC, I went on a trip to CT relatives on my own. I left early in the morning to be on the other side of NYC before rush hour. Despite my Dad's suggestion of the Tappen Zee, I took the GW Bridge. It was twilight, and to see those two towers off in the distance, gave me a sense of awe.

It became the symbol to me that I was half way "home" to the home I knew of in CT. It was a symbol of what man could achieve, despite the engineering odds.

In the few trips that I have made to CT since 9-11, I have taken the GW only once. NYC seems so naked now with the WTC towers to welcome one to NYC and New England. Now it is the Tappen Zee.

My apologies if this long winded. It brought back a rush of memories. And I thank you all for letting me share.
  10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Not attacking you at all.

But having parents that went through the attack on Pearl Harbor (state side), would you have suggested that they just get over it?

Or to the families of of the over 50K that died in Vietnam to just get over it?

For many of us, there is a connection. Not just my previous rambling. It is friends of ours that work for the various airlines that lost friends and loved ones on those four planes.

Or for a co-worker whose some was in some case "late for his own funeral" that day. He was to have an meeting in the North Tower at about 8:30 AM that morning.

Or a classmate that had a fellow teacher on the flight that slammed into the Pentagon.

It has been said that there is six degrees of separation between us. You are closer IMO than you think, you may not know it.

9-11 also showed us that our time is more limited than we think. Just think of the recordings that many of us have heard from those that faced certain death.

In my own case, my lover and I realized who mattered most in our lives. In the month before 9-11 we were on rocky turf. In the end we were the ones we turned to and grew stronger with.

This tribute page is about remembering. If you choose not to, it is your choice. But just as a funeral in your own family, please respect others that are affected in one way or another.
  11. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    I remember waking up, having a shower, and eating breakfast when i finally turned the radio on, and heard the announcement on the radio. I had to turn on my TV, and see the events taking place before i believed it was true. My heart still goes out to the victims of this heartless crime, and to the heroic Police and Fire Men and Women, You are my heroes. The Pentagon and The WTC, and also to the plane that crashed before it was to be part of the attacks and all of the lives lost to the wars, you will never be forgotten.

The recent attacks on the Australian Embassy in Jakarta in indonesia, are as heartless.

God Bless, and stay safe.
  12. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    MacDesktops.com latest addition is a rather fitting image for the events that occurred this day. (Has it really been three years?!)

Two days before the attacks, I was downtown at the Cardinals ball game. It started to rain, and so I went over to Union Station to walk around to wait it out. As I waited for the MetroLink train to pick me up, I read the advertisements across the way. They where the big silk screened plastic signs with a bunch of fluorescent bulbs lighting them from behind. As I scanned the row, one of the bulbs went out as I was reading the sign leaving a jarring dark area. I thought to myself, "Wow, those bulbs must lsat 10,000 hours, how fascinating that it would happen to burn out at that exact instant." I seriously contemplated the fragility of life on this planet for the first time ever. Apparently though, that experience wasn't enough to get the point across, and it took such a horrific event to drive the point home.

May the peace of God be with those who will be remembering their loved ones lost that day and in all other tragedies that day has lead to.
  13. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    I was supposed to ride in a local charity ride today, but unfortunately it was pushed back to December because of all the hurricane activity down here. But wouldn't you know it, now the damn thing is not supposed to hit until Tuesday.