Discussion in 'Community' started by taeclee99, Sep 10, 2002.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Let us never forget

Attached Files:

• wtc.jpg
      wtc.jpg
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
  2. job macrumors 68040

job

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

cool picture

from up close, those beams of light looked... well, nonexistent.

cool that they were more visible from elsewhere. just too bad i was never far away enough to see em

4. vniow macrumors G4

Yeah, I know this
    is KC's avatar, but
    I think it fits. :)

Attached Files:

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

6. vniow macrumors G4

From the King himself. :)

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

something I want to know...

did anyone else cry while all of this was going on last year?

8. vniow macrumors G4

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: something I want to know...

Last year I had no idea what was happening. I passed a TV with what appeared to be some building on fire on the way to one of my classes and thought that was a little odd. After that class was over I noticed the TV was still there and that a small crowd had formed, as I walked up to it one of the towers collapsed. Quite shocking to say the least.

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I was on my way to work...about 2 mins away...and they came on the radio telling something about an airplane had crashed into the World Trade Center...not really sure what the hell was going on exactly...

I get into work...put the tv on...mayhem... :(

I watched it all...was surreal to imagine it all actually happening...

11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

To say the least, around here the military response was a little disconcerting. NORAD issued an alert and sealed off it's entrances, The Air Force Academy went onto full lockdown, Space Command went into lockdown. There is a lot of air activity around here and it was odd after 9/11, the only aircraft I saw was a squadron of F-16s buzzing the area. No commercial traffic.

edit- of course the sensationalist reporters caused a bit of a panic by proclaiming those likely targets after the Pentagon was attacked :rolleyes:

12. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i've been depressed for the better part of two days...

its just amazingly sad how far we HAVEN'T evolved as a species.

the grim reality that someday i will have to explain to my daughter about war...terrorism...bio/chemical/nuclear threats...racial/religious hatred.

i was just a tyke during the cuban missle crisis...most of the members here weren't even born yet( and probably aren't aware of just how closely we came to nuclear war in the 1960s)...but i do remember the films they showed in class...how to "duck and cover" after the initial flash of a nuclear explosion. or the drills we did where we kneeled in the school hallways with our hands clasped over our heads. maybe its a blessing of being young that you can't fully comprehend things of that magnitude...

i'm going to keep the tv off tomorrow...i'm all too aware of the immense loss of a year ago-i don't need the media hype complete with captions, soundbites and musical score.

13. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Yeah, I woke that morning to the radio alarm telling me about the first plane, I rushed downstairs, turned on CNN and watched the second plane live. I couldn't believe it. A lot of people I know here work at Offut AFB, and when they announced Bush was in the air on the way here in Air Force One, I knew that the military was even more worried than we were. I just hope we can make it through without another thing like this happening. It's bad enough that the VERY small town I teach in in Nebraska got hit by both Anthrax letters and the pipe bombs this year.

Gus

14. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

awsome I love that pic. very ethereal.

dig it.

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: something I want to know...

Once the initial shock wore off, and classes were cancelled and the campus evacuated I called home and broke down while leaving a message.

I was just so shocked and depressed at the loss of life and senseless violence. I had never experienced anything like it in my life.

I cried for those who died, and for the sad state of humanity today.

16. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

17. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I didn't cry that day. I guess I got used to this kind of thing happening growing up. The first bombing of the WTC, Oklahoma City. I remember my wife waking me up around 9:00 am (I work nights, this was WAY too early.) She was like "Both towers of the world trade center just collapsed". I don't know, the way she said it was like they just fell out of the blue. I'm thinking the world is ending or something. When I finally got the details about the plane, I was like "I bet you a million dollars they blame Osama Bin Laden for this...

anyway, due to the border closings, I got the day off work. I went to CompUSA and bought some memory for my mac, and when I went by the Airport and saw the National Gaurd, that's when I really started to realize what a big deal this was. Everything was just weird that day, can't really explain the way I felt. When I went to bed though and had nothing to distract me, I couldn't help but think about what was happening. Then, I cried like a baby.

18. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I did not cry when I saw this on the news that morning. I was in a state of shock I must admit. After I learned that it was a terrorist act I was really pissed off. I wanted to ring these guys’ necks. I couldn’t believe that they hit us in our own land. I wanted immediate vengeance. After awhile I really broke down in sadness and grieve for all those who lost their lives. I didn’t understand the magnitude of this until I found out that the total lost on this day was larger then the total lives lost in the entire Revolutionary War, WW1, WW2, The Korean War and Pearl Harbor combined (something of that nature). I still have a hard time understanding the reality of all this. I'd imagine visiting ground zero would give me an entirely different perspective and new set of emotions.

19. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

I cried, I cried like the little bitch i know i am.

I cried when i flew back to New York City, and saw that hole in my Skyline. I am going to find it hard not to cry today........

It is hard to belive it has been 12 months.

20. BongHits macrumors regular

i was asleep when it happened, and i was in the middle of my wake n bake when i turned on the tv and was like what the hells going on? this chronic is pretty potent!!

21. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I was asleep and I woke up and my mum said America has been bombed, I got up I was like WTF is going on?

I watched CNN for 4hours, it was unbelievable

22. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Watching the ceremony now, as Mayor G. is reading off the names. I think that the reading of the Gettysburg Address was an excellent choice.

I have been watching the morning news, but had to turn it off when my wife started to get upset. It is hard to blame her. It is hard not to be upset thinking about it all.

23. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Still a beautiful city

Attached Files:

• nyc.jpg
      nyc.jpg
      File size:
      57.6 KB
      Views:
  24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it will certainly be hard to go about things as usual

just such a massive effect this has on everyone.

i'd love to hear from people in the midwest or not in other big towns... and see how things were last year after the attack. ie, were things as weird right away as it was here in nyc? i'm sure it wasn't quite as bad. but i'd heard that elsewhere it just didn't quite hit... curious to see some real people's thoughts if they know firsthand.

i'll be in classes all day. but i'm sure there will be plenty going on in classes and just kinda in the air...

25. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

We will never forget.....

I just pray today for the family's of all those who have been lost from 9/11. I pray for the children, and those left behind. I pray that we never forget. I pray that we are patient in our pursuit of justice. I pray that the world will realize that God wants us to live in peace. God being the body of every religion in the world. And the creator of everything. I pray that we will learn to be more tollerant of different religions and society's. I pray that the middle east will see miracles instead of war.

I pray that we all focus today on being nicer to one person, for one second than we would have been before. I pray that we say hello to a stranger, do a good deed, and most of all love.

I pray....