933 or DP 1GHZ for VPC 5.02

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by maclamb, Mar 19, 2002.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I need to run VPC 5.02 in order to run win2k, IBM VisualAge and other Tools like these to create courseware for classes. I had envisioned a separate monitro for VPC, one for Notes/Email and one for normal work (yes, I can and will run 3 screens) - I do not want an additional PC - I think VPC 5.02 on a FAST G4 would be sufficient.

Question is, which is the best for this - the DP 1G or 933 ?

I should mention I often use many other apps (Classic - Notes - up and used constantly, Explorer, Powerpoint, Excel, Word, as well as other business apps.
    So, I am wondoering if I will see a Significant difference in speed using VPC while using the other apps at the same time - I notice VPC seems to peg the CPU on my g4/400....

My thinking (hope?) is that DP wioll be much better- maybe one CPU doing most of the VPC work leaving the other for the other apps....

The diffeence for me will be only about $500 bewtewen the 933 and DP 1G - but I wouldn't get the DP if there will be negligable benfit.

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

OK, I am a die hard Mac person here, and I understand the need to run VPC as I do every day at work (Network Admin), now that being said, I have a couple of responses

1) The DP will be faster, much faster in fact than the 933. The reason that it will be is that VPC is multi processor aware. In fact I have a friend that claims that it will benchmark as fast as a PIII 733 on his dual G4. Much better than my iBook 600, although it runs it very well.

2) The DP is 500 more than the 933, and VPC is 199. For 799, you could buy a very powerful PC to run next to your Mac, and network them together. Everyone hold off on the flames for a sec. The reason that I say that is because VPC will never have 3D support, and other features as well, that may, keyword may, be important to him. Personally, I would love to have a new 933, and Athlon 1600+ sitting next to it.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, I just think that would be the best thing to do. If not, then go with the dual.

3. dualburn001 macrumors regular

he already has VPC

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

5. Timothy macrumors 6502

dumb question alert...

Will OSX recognize 3 monitors?

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Obviously the DP 1 GHz will be faster than the 933. And given VPC is multiprocessor aware, IMHO the extra $500 will be well worth it.

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

not to mention video is pretty damn slow. can't even get 10 fps (vpc 5, OS x.1, dual 500 G4, 1 gig RAM)

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I think that OS X will use as many monitors as you throw at it. You would have to get a PCI video card as well, which will run at least 100 - 150 dollars. Even if you have VPC, I would still get a low cost PC to put next to a 933 G4, instead of just a dual 1Ghz. Or, wait a few months for the G5, or super G4.

9. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

I will only use VPC for running VisualAge or simialr poroducts (DB2, WebSphere) for creating course materials, debugging student programs and proof of concept.
    I don't play games or care about graphics for this.
    I don't want another keyboard/mouse/box on my desk and don't want to have to save screen grabs to a network drive then import them into powerpoint for the courseware....I like th eability to share drives from VPC right on the same machine.
    I plan to boos the ram to 1.5G and give VPC .5 G - that should help too.

I really wanted to know if thr DP would be much faster and if VPC is multi-processor aware.
    Sounds like it is and I will probably get the DP

Any hints or tips for optimization would be appreciated.

If so I'll post my results here.

thanks to everyone.

10. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

I can't resist adding that I am using a G4/400 at work which seemed acceptable (excpet for VPC) UNTIL I saw and played witha 933 at COmpusa last week.
    Now I'm screwed - It is SO fast and crisp and responsive....I have to upgrade.

11. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I have a DP 1Ghz PowerMac with 1Gig of RAM! However, I dont think that VPC uses much of the second processor to be honest!! I say that you might as well get the 933Mhz. I ran a benchmark program and got equal to only about a 550Mhz PC if that.

A question!! I have Igig of RAM but in the preferences of VPC it only lets me assign 512Mb to the PC (this takes it to the end of the sliding bar)! Is this correct? Is there a way to assign more?