933mhz or 867 dual

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Codiac, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Codiac macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2002
    Can anyone advise me?
    Ive just seen on pcworlds website in the UK that the 933mhz G4 superdrive is now £1099, i was going to purchase a new 867Mhz dual but am very tempted to go tomorrow and get the 933 as pcworld is just beside me.
    Id like to know if anyone has any advice on why i should buy the 867 dual instead.
    Im a Graphic designer and rely on photoshop and illustrator alot.

2. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I have a single 867 and its fast as hell with 768 mbs of ram, the generation these systems come from is good, they are pinnacle.

Plus the 933 looks great and for the work you are doing you wont need too much power, i say go for the 933. Thats a great price.

p.s buy extra ram and your gin.:D
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i'm going to have to say you should go with the dual, simply because you're (in a way) getting twice that speed... i'm not sure if photoshop is completely multiprocessor optimized, but if it is, it's tasks will be assigned (on the fly) to either processor, so you could apply a mask and convert a file at the same time, each on their own 867Mhz...

but i don't know, just my thoughts...

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    If you use OS 9 exclusively and no SMP aware apps then the 933 is fastest.

However in OS X the dual processor 867 machine really shines, the OS takes full advantage of both processors. Same with Cocoa apps, and converted Carbon apps (carbon toolbox routines should at the very least).

While in OS 9, applications must be written to take advantage of multiple processor - Photoshop does.
  5. TheCat macrumors member

Aug 2, 2002
    dual cpu + Jaguar.. this will be better than single cpu (even if slightly faster) + Jaguar.
    Go dual but make sure u get lots of ram

Steve :)
  6. Codiac thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2002

Thanks for the advice

i went for the 933 , got it today, simply because at £1099 with a ten percent discount because my brother is staff (£990) it was too good of a price.

im happy with it so far but i do need more ram