Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

233817-119909009_500.jpg

Line at Michigan Ave Store in Chicago, IL, photo by @chartier
Lines are starting to grow around the world for the iPhone 4 launch. Pictured above is the Michigan Ave Apple Store in Chicago where the weather isn't quite cooperating. Steve Wozniak was spotted in line and even signing a passerby's iPhone 4 box (he must have pre-ordered).

We've continued to get reports all day of Best Buy and Wal-marts having anywhere from 0 to 5 units for sale on launch day. We have also heard unconfirmed reports that the shortages are due to Apple not meeting production numbers. It'll be interesting to see how much stock Apple retail stores have of the new iPhone.

Forum users are organizing meetups across the world in our forums. If you are standing in line, feel free to participate in this thread, your own regional thread (search here), and email any photos to tips@macrumors.com and we'll post the most interesting ones here.

Article Link: Standing in Line for the iPhone 4

miki66

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
IL
I wonder when did they start as the thunder storm was getting CRAZY this afternoon. Anyway, hope them all get them loved iphone 4:)

gibstros

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
Texas
Best Buy Shortage

That explains why my Best Buy rep called me tonight and said no iPhone for me even though I was number 20 on the list. Girl told me that they only got 4 phones and they were all 16gb models. I was not very nice with her, I'm afraid. Looks like somebody's Chinese factory is having trouble keeping up with production schedules in addition to their other problems.

MauiMac

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2006
Unfortunately yes... seriously.

seriously?!

Unfortunately yes... seriously. A memo was sent to all AT&T stores. They'll fill all store preorders first. On the 29th you'll be able to walk into most AT&T stores and pick one up if they have some in stock....

stevegut78

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
POINTLESS GEEKS. JUST PRE-ORDER...I don't get this at all. And whoever thinks that the camping is all part of the experience is a loser geekazoid fanboy!

zwahelian

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Best Buy called me and said I will get one of only two 32GB iPhone 4's since that is all they received. They have absolutely zero available for people that didn't preorder. Boy am I glad I preordered right when they opened!

papagnoj

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
i heard that there are already around 60-70 ppl at my local apple store...guess i gotta go earlier than i thought bc i dont want to wait in line forever.

MetallicaFTW

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
i know this is probably a longshot, but does anyone know anything about the bestbuy in crystal lake, illinois having iphone 4's?

d00m42

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Miami, FL
Their production shortages could pose a huge problem if the antenna/cell service and screen issues require mass replacements.

juniorsgv

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
phoenix, az
gilbert, az

so i biked to my local san tan mall in gilbert arizona. 7pm @ 102 degrees outside there was already a line of 20 people. i'm sorry i know i love my apple products, give me COLD, RAIN but HEAT!!!! i was like nah i'd rather just order online. lol :)

oh and i saw people already posting iphone 4g's for $1000 and $1500 here in arizona. wth!

papagnoj

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
hahah. its funny cause i have a reserved one and can cut the whole line :D

i have a reserved one as well, but i heard they are letting like 10 ppl in for every 1 walk-in or something like that, (thats what i heard)

MetallicaFTW

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
ive talked to a few people now, and they said at&t DID have them for tomorrow and are waiting inline now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.