9600 on quicksilver?

Discussion in 'Games' started by admiraldennis, Dec 20, 2003.

1. admiraldennis macrumors regular

2. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Afraid not. 9600Pro for Macs was designed for Powermacs G5 specifically. I doubt it will work properly with a G4.
    Besides, I have this installed in my G5 right now and I'm not that happy with it. Its not that fast at all for games...
    And you can't buy this card anywhere in the stores BTW (outside of private individual sellers who pulled it out of their G5s). The card was designed to be sold by apple and resellers only with new computers...
    I'm gonna do what this guy on ebay is doing, and take this ones out and sell it. Will get a 9800Pro for a G5.

3. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Good idea. The 9600 is a good mid range card but if you bought a G5 mid range is not really appropriate is it.

I have been tempted to flash the 9800 Pro in my PC and give it a try in my G4 but the CPU can barely keep up with my 9000 so why bother, eh?

4. admiraldennis thread starter macrumors regular

Is it possible to flash a PC 9600 pro for a mac? My GeForce 4 MX is really aged.

5. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

For what it's worth, I've upgraded my Quicksilver 933 with a GeForce Ti 4600 card. Been running it without problems for about six months. It's also running alongside an OWC daughter board upgrade.

Best,

mm

6. lewdvig macrumors 65816

You need to take a 9600 from a G5, insert into the AGP slot of a PC with a PCI video card as the primary display. Boot into DOS and use ATIFLASH to backup the firmware.

This file can then be used to flash any PC 9600 Pro (and maybe non pro) to the Mac version. If it doesn't work, just flash it back to the PC version.

If someone could do this with the 9800 Pro, I would flash my PC version to a Mac version.

Similar trick should work with NV cards too. But beacuse of the huge variations of card quality amoung NV card manufacturers it can be a bit more tricky. There is a site devoted to doing this to GF MX cards - I forget the link.

When selecting PC cards, pick ones whose GPU and RAM speeds at least equal that of the Mac version.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

That sounds cool, I'd be interested in trying it if I had a reason to do it.

8. lewdvig macrumors 65816

No one I know owns a Mac, or else I would host all the Mac video card bioses on a site somewhere. I am really into hardware modding PCs. I would like to mess around with Mac too. I have always found them to be a pleasure to work on.