970 when available....or wait??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CaVoLo, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. CaVoLo macrumors member

    Feb 1, 2003
    alrite...for my computer ive decided on a powermac 970

    question is should i wait for the second revision or go ahead and
    get it while everyone wants one?

    i also heard that the first version will only utilize the 32-bit process rather than the full 64-bit....this is another big part in the decision

    so help me out here (assuming that these rumors are true) should i wait or get the first 970 available?

  2. pEZ macrumors 6502

    Feb 2, 2003
    Madison, Wisconsin
    It depends on what you're going to use your computer for, I guess. If the rumors are true, and you desparately need the 64-bit, then wait. I'd personally say second generation myself, if you have the option to wait that long, because they usually have more goodies in the second revision. They also have a chance to work out the kinks, after they can test it on a large group of people.
  3. Nermal Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    According to the latest rumours, the first 970s will come with OS 10.2 "Smeagol", which is a 32-bit version of Jaguar that is able to run on the 64-bit CPU. Apparently it'll just take a (free?) software update to 10.3 Panther to get the 64-bit functionality.
  4. phong macrumors newbie

    Nov 30, 2002
    I think that going and taking a dive for the 1st generation is justified in that this is a MAJOR upgrade. Whether waiting for the 2nd generation or going ahead and buying one when it comes out, its all good. The reason I say this too, is I believe the 1st generation 970s will not have that many problems if Apple follows feedback with the current double mirror doors G4s (i.e: heat, fans, etc.). Whatever is good for you, I support you in getting a 970. Well, I can say right now, Congrats on your future 970, G5, or whatever it will be called.

    All the best,


Share This Page