99% Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moonkea, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Moonkea macrumors newbie

I bought a MacBook yesterday, the 2Ghz white one, and got up early today to calibrate the battery (because I'm paranoid about getting everything absolutely perfect and working as good as possible... If I should have waited a month, please say :) )

So, my Mac has been telling me that my battery is 99% full, and has done so for the past hour almost. Thought I'd Google it and eventually downloaded CoconutBattery to have a look.

It's telling me that from 5200 mAh, I've got 5066 left, 97% capacity. It's also telling me that at present that 5066 mAh is full. It reads 100% charge, but the light amber light on the power lead isn't turning green, and the menu bar icon still shows 99%.

Anything to worry about? CoconutBattery says my Mac is 2 months old, and has gone through 2 battery-loadcycles (whatever they are).

Of course, yesterday while setting up the Mac, the power lead light did go green, so at least I know the light works...

Thanks in advance for any help, and props on being a good site for beginners.

Edit: Having since typed that, I turn the power off at the plug, pulled the lead out and low and behold, the battery now reads 100% on the menu bar. Does it ever get to 100% with the power lead in?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I bough a second hand Macbook Pro on Friday. It was 7 months old but the battery had only been cycled 6 times.

I thought it would be a good idea to condition the battery so I put it on charge and it also got stuck on 99%. I've run the calibration routine and now it charges to 100% with no problems.

I would condition the battery anyway and see how it behaves afterwards.

3. Moonkea thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, cheers.

Probably should have looked on the Apple site first, I guess...

4. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

i also find that the capacity of the battery changes. a while ago my battery was down to about 94% but now it is back up again. just depends i guess nothing is really set in stone.

Attached Files:

5. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Just remember to use your MB on battery once or twice a week to keep it healthy (another recommendation from Apple) - being plugged in 100% of the time is not good for the battery.

6. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

7. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

apple suggests once every few months.

9. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

only if you use it infrequently: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html. If you use your MB every day: "Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time."

10. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

My battery capacity was never anywhere near that. I recall that it was never above 4900mAh, now its more like 4500mAh after eight months.