A-10 Attack! whereabouts

Discussion in 'Games' started by Darklord, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Darklord macrumors newbie

I have been looking for a copy of the old A-10 Attack! computer game from the now extinct parsoft. Unfortionatly I cant seem to find it anyware. Ive tried the usual spots Ebay, Ammazon, even Limewire with no luck. If any one has any ideas, i'd be very thankful.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. Darklord thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bb0ys macrumors member

Brings back memories...

I wish I had that game too.

That was the first game I ever *downloaded* using the old Hotline Client. It was a SIT file of around 15MB and took all Saturday afternoon. When it finished my friend and I were ecstatic; we played it for months.

I believe the modem was a 33.6K Global Village that was plugged into the ADB port on a PowerMac 7300 running a 166MHz 604e...I can almost see those OS 8 extensions loading now...ahhhh those were the days!!

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I had a quick look around, no joy so far. But I'm sure I still have it somewhere. It's not like I throw anything out. I think my copy came as a white box copy with hardware I'd purchased.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

7. Darklord thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for whoever emaied me the game. Wasn't there a mission editor that came with it? in any case it works great. Yes it works on classic however if you hit the network game button on A-10 Cuba! it crashes wich is a pitty.

8. Darklord thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone figured out a way to get network games to work? I have A G5 running os 10.4.7 and a old bage G3 running os 9.2.2. Thing was i got file sharing to work using ethernet and dialing the G5's ip adress on the G3. though it doesnt work the other way around. but they do detect each other. Is Os classic incapable of running network games? Im still unsure as to why the program quits when you hit the network button in Cuba!

9. mkaake macrumors 65816

I've found classic to be funny anytime you try and use your network card for anything other than the internet. I just have to boot into OS9 to get things like that to work properly (most notably, I can't connnect via appletalk to my newton using classic - I have to use some 3rd party app or boot into 9).

10. Darklord thread starter macrumors newbie

is there an easy way to boot into os9? without messing things up? (meaning I can easily go back to Os 10)

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think this might have something to do with changes Apple made to OSX's AppleTalk support in Tiger. I don't recall precisely what they were, but I do remember a number of people having AppleTalk issues after upgrading.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure. Go to the Startup Disk control panel in preferences, select your OS 9 startup folder, and reboot. To go back to OSX, select the Startup control panel in OS 9 and choose OSX, and reboot. You can also reboot with the option key held down and you'll be given a choice.

13. Darklord thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortionatly It doesnt find the Os 9 start up disk that is used in classic. Ill have to see how its layed out on the G3 becuase i beleive both os x and os 9 are installed

Thats odd. the way its layed out on the G3 its looking for the system folder for what ever operating system. Then it should be able to find the Os 9 system folder on the Harddisk on the G5 but it doesn't

14. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

G5s are not capable of booting OS 9, which is probably your problem. Also, any G4 with a build in FW800 port also cannot boot OS 9. This is due to a firmware change on the motherboard that OS 9 does not support and is impossible to work around.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right, of course. I missed where he said he was running a G5. :eek:

16. Darklord thread starter macrumors newbie

ah figures! so unless someone gets the source code and updates A-10 attack/cuba! for Os X and internet. there will be no more network games for me...

17. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

18. Darklord thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way to get a Usb Joystick to work with A-10?

Just so you know I found some realy interesting custom sounds packages here at
    http://members.aol.com/russillosm/a10.html you need to use ResEdit to put them in but they work for both Cuba! and Attack! though if you have both chances are you are useing Attack! anyway.

19. Darklord thread starter macrumors newbie

I know does any one know of any good applications for the mac that takes joystick input and maps it to keybord/mouse commands?

20. Darklord thread starter macrumors newbie

Just so anyone who is running this game on OSX knows (providing that they care), that USB Overdrive is a good program to use if you want to use your USB joystick with the game. Just map the keybord buttons to the joystick. And you can set the stick control to the mouse if you want.

21. RacerX macrumors 65832

A-10 Attack! is a very cool game. I have it on my Quadra 950, and it uses all three of the 21" displays. It makes a great flight simulator in that way (I wish Hellcats did that too... it only uses the center display on that system).

22. robegian macrumors member

robegian

One of the reasons why I keep 3 monitors attached to my old Power Mac 9600 (upgraded to G4/700) is for playing A-10 Attack, which I think is one of the most addictive and best designed air combat simulators ever. Actually, it's one of my favourite games ever! :)

[​IMG]

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

A-10 Attack is a great flight simulator/game.

I play it on my PB15 (in Classic), PM933 in OS 9, TAM, and PM G3.

I have stick, throttle and pedals for it and use an ADB to USB converter. A little lag, but seems to work okay.

BTW, it is the only simulator that I have tried that does an accelerated stall correctly.

Edit: It looks like you already have a copy. If not, please let me know.

robegian very nice setup. I hate you! :p :D

24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

uhhhh wow