A 19" laptop?!?!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Applespider, May 11, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The Register are reporting that Dell will release a 19" notebook

Surely this is nuts! Doesn't buying a notebook that will rarely move from a desk thanks to weight, battery life and luggability for a premium over a desktop seem crazy? Wouldn't you be better off with a proper desktop and a smaller portable that's actually usable on the road etc?

2. brap macrumors 68000

This is for LAN party kids with too much money.

3. JonMaker macrumors regular

Yet another case of Mine-Is-Bigger-Than-Yours™.

I thought the point of a laptop was to be portable?!

4. qzak macrumors 6502

Widescreen iBooks

very surprised the posters above didn't point this out

5. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Probably because that first came out a few months ago and there's already a thread on it.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its been speculated for some time....

19" though, thats getting to be too much, and its not practical at all, Apple certainly won't do it

Dumb Dell with Dumb ideas

7. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

That thing would have to weigh around 20 lbs. Might as well get a small laptop with a extra LCD monitor for your backpack instead.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

or carry around an iMac G5 :cool:

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You laugh, but I definitely think there's a market for a computer like this: a computer that will mostly live on the kitchen counter, but occasionally gets moved upstairs so Johnny can do his homework while Mom cooks dinner, or to the Den for some serious gaming.

Such a computer would be much easier to move around than an iMac because the keyboard and mouse would be integrated into the machine itself, and there's no need to move the power supply.

I'd seriously consider such a computer -- if it was made by Apple!

10. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I'm going to need to find a fold up desk for that thing, my god. 17" seems to much to me, thats why I went with a 15" PB for my last purchase. 19" is just pushing it way to far for practical use.

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if wanted anything more than 17 id get an external monitor; but hey build it and they will buy...although that didnt seem to work for the edsel...but it might for dell hehe

12. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

ya ... seems like a laptop plus external monitor seems like the smarter solution. Besides, with many high-end laptops supporting dual display along with mirror, seems like if you REALLY want more realestate you could do that .... BUT ... i do like that idea that someone mentioned ... it seems an alternative to the iMac/all in one deals <-- i think there will be a market for this ... more of a portable desktop then anything else

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well yeah it's huge and seems stupid, but a big company like Dell, it's not a "bigger bigger bigger! This will make us billions!". It's more of a "Bigger? It can be done? Why the hell not" kind of thing I suspect. Probably won't be a big seller, but I'm sure some people will buy it for one reason or other (legitimate or not).

14. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Introducing Apple's latest addition to the powerbook line, the 20" PresentationBook :rolleyes:

Or maybe the first HD Powerbook - 23" :D

15. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

isn't digitimes the people who told us G5 iBooks and PB's would be shipping in Q2 05. TIS BS

16. Apple //e macrumors 6502

thats a great idea

they can put these fold out legs on it so it turns into a coffee table when you close it

if you need to use it, you can place yer coffee on the built in retractable cup holder

i like it

17. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

That was the first thing I noticed. Wide screen iBooks, yea!

Now what was this article about again?....... :rolleyes: :D

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I can see it as a "portable" to used room-to-room. Not something that is carried from home-to-office.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe it'll fold in quarters, so it won't be that bad to carry. :D Either that, or you'll need one of those big portfolio cases that artists use to carry it! :eek:

LOL it's funny, though, how much the Windows majors have done to shift the conception of what a normal notebook looks like. My first notebook was an Armada 10.4" which was as small as my iBook 12". But people who have Windows laptops today (at school - of course not counting any Thinkpad or VAIO owners) seem astonished constantly at the size of my iBook, that there are such small notebooks.

20. Apple //e macrumors 6502

i know what you mean, people always are amazed at my thinkpad x31

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

To me, Apple's 17" PowerBook is pushing it as it is in terms of size, I can't even imagine how counter-productive a 19" would be. If Apple were the ones releasing this then at least I'd have a little more confidence (Apple usually tends to do things RIGHT), but the fact that it's Dell scares me. Ah well, guess we'll see what they come out with, and where Apple's line-up is at when this happens.

22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

While a 17" PowerBook would be too big for me, they are surprisingly portable for their size. The 15" PowerBooks are too.

I've seen eMacs with 17" screen space. Damn... 50 lbs of computer to lug around...

I guess Dell is REALLY copying Apple...

[​IMG]
    once Dell started fattening up the iPods they couldn't stop, could they?

23. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

Introducing the new 30" HDPowerBook (forklift not included)

24. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well since apple had the first 17" notebook...will they have the first 20" or 23" and if who would buy one :confused:

25. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Dell just wants to be cooler than apple.... For the moment