A 23" or 30" G5 imac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CrackedButter, Sep 13, 2004.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Who thinks this is possible? I do, I had this thought a few days ago and was wondering what others think. Nobody thought they would have a 20" inch to the G4 iMac and now they are G5 its makes me wonder.

Makes me wonder more so because they are designed just like the current monitors, so logic tells me it is feasible sometime in the future. Of course, the price would have to go down a lot and a 23 inch monitor by itself is still mighty expensive. Maybe after a couple of revisions however.
    I'm also thinking they would be thinner much like in the same way with the Powerbooks because you can space out the components better.

But damn, think of how it would attact others.

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Doubt it. Keep in mind this IS an all in one device. You slap a 23-30" display in there and you easily get into PowerMac prices. The iMac is a base consumer product. Would you spend 2,500+ on am iMac? I'm doubting the majority of people out there would.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

23"? Be pretty pricey for an entry level G5 right now, but maybe in another two years when iMac sales are weak and the next design iteration is not ready for release.

30"? Can't see this one ever coming to pass. Even a lesser quality 30" LCD would drive the price way too high for the iMac line.

4. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

As I said, the price would have to go down, remember when the first flatscreen iMac came out, it was only a 15" and then they introduced the 17", only last december did they do a 20". The way LCD prices fall, this could happen at the end of next year or the year after, of course by that time it depends whether they keep the same design. But it think it will be possible with time.

5. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

What i'd love to see is a 23" HDTV-ready iMac with a built in tuner and some sort of scroll-wheel remote. Put it in an aluminum case, add wireless firewire and some kick-ass speakers, and boom, you truly have a center of the digital universe. With the option for a wall mount, Apple is obviously positioning the iMac as a possible replacement for a TV. Why not go all the way?

Tangent: Netflix and others are planning to offer video on-demand via the internet. Isn't it time for Apple to integrate this feature to the iTMS??? How awesome would it be to be able to view streamed movies at HDTV quality (using the AVC) on your 23" iMac G5 ?!

6. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I'd buy a 23" iMac over a powermac...and that's why there'll never be one. A 23" iMac would kill Powermac sales.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i agree with the above posters, and just want to point out that there will never be a 30" iMac, or well not never, but not for a very long time, reason? Video Card, they would have to use the 6800 which is top of the line, and that will only make it into the iMacs once it is almost obsolete

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yes it's possible. No it's not going to happen. The iMac is a consumer-level machine. I have yet to meet a consumer that needs anything larger than a 20" display... For a long time 15" was considered acceptable for consumers, then 17", and they provided 20" as a you-probably-don't-need-this-but-here-it-is-anyway. They killed the 15", so now consumers are left with two choices: standard 17" (which Apple clearly sees as the norm for consumers) and the 20" for people that want more. There's absolutely no reason to make a bigger iMac. Anyone that wants a display that large will go with a PowerMac anyway...

paul

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree, don't see Apple introducing a 30" iMac. Anyone that had the need for a screen like that would really want a Power Mac. I do think that a 23" is in the realm of possibility.

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think I would give a 23in iMac a 60% chance of coming into fruition, with displays falling in price, and consumers demanding larger displays, it makes sense for Apple to do it eventually.