A 3rd display, adding a new video card?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by edesignuk, Jul 3, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hi all,

I am currently using the GeForce4 MX on 2 screens (with the regular VGA connector, and a VGA Extractor on the ADC).
    I am thinking about adding another, to do this I presume I just pop in another video card in the PCI slot and OSX just picks it up?
    Is this correct, do I just put it in and it is then available in the display settings?

Thanks.

2. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

yep. sounds good to me.

but im sure alpha will stop by eventually and let you know for sure. Im just guessin' that it will go off without a hitch.

I've had 2 crts before (with an old 7100... 1 vga on the motherboard and 1 pci videocard).. as for 3 crt's I never tried it myself; but it sounds about the same.

good times'

C-

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

did someone call my name???

You will be able to install as many PCI video cards, and run as many screens as they support on the Mac. It could get a touch expensive, but you can do it. I would suggest looking to ATI for the offerings, but that is just my insane self... :D :p I know that the Radeon 7000 is a PCI card that offers dual monitor support right out of the box. Check it out here.

You could fill your PCI slots and have a total of ten screens attached to your computer. :eek: :eek: :D Make them all LCD (or all the new ones at least), and you could have a wall to watch. Get creative, and you could mount them on the wall, angle them around you into an arc and get an immersion effect. Now THAT would end up being an über tower... :D

4. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

sounds über cool. definatly. To do list:
    get $40,000
    get 10 23" LCDs
    get a maxed out tower
    have fun

sounds good, exept for the first step

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Don't forget the DVI to ADC adapters as well as any VGA to DVI adapters that you need. That way you can use the Apple LCD's.

A more cost effective method (if there is such a thing) would be to get a load of ViewSonic 18.1" or larger screens. :D Those screens run from about $800 to $1600 (18.1" to 20.1"). They accept the standard issue wall mounts, which makes them very cool... Even getting all the adapters, and wall mounts for most of them, you could get away with under $20,000... Not bad, all things considered. :D

6. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Alpha strikes again.

It seems like alpha always ends up answering the hardware questions on this site... maybe its just me. but I saw this answer coming from a mile away (actually more like 17 miles away)

Good times.

C-