A backpack for 12" Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sichaus, Sep 18, 2004.

1. sichaus macrumors newbie

What backpack do you recommend for 12" Powerbook and why?

2. scottwat macrumors regular

Northface Modem

NF modem
    This bag to me seems pretty nice, it isn't obvious that there is a laptop in there. Northface also makes amazing stuff, very reliable. Also it isn't terribly well padded. But it does have a location in the back of the back compartment that a laptop slides in. I would also recomened getting a sleeve of some sort. Something padded, I have the shinza 12" on the way. this in my idea will work alot better than an over padded backpack.

3. advocate macrumors regular

I throw my 15" PowerBook into my regular backpack, no sleeve or anything. Still looks brand new after a year or carrying it around. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. scottwat macrumors regular

Wouldn't recommend it

Umm I don't know about you, but I just spend 2+ grand on my 12" powerbook. I can't afford to throw 2k+ dollars in an unprotected bag for it to get scratched up or broken. Thats why I want to spend alittle bit to make sure my stuff is protected. I don't know if you want to go the sleeve and backpack route but to me and my money it would be worth the investment. Plus the northface bag, about 40$ was a pretty good deal, doesn't look like a laptop bag, which I would think would help not make you a target if someone is looking to steal a laptop. Also if you go the sleeve route you can take the PB in the sleeve and put it in any bag, just a thought.

5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

The apple bags seem to be working for me, i used to use a bad for my 14" iBook and it worked great. I am using the 17" apple bag and i love it, have had no problems so far.

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

7. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Axio...It's the ONLY way to go. If you want protection and great flair, go the Axio way.

http://www.axio-usa.com

8. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

well i must agree....how in the hell i'm going to put that 2000 dollars machine on the line...................... i got a sleeve and i got a high sierra Access 15" bag.

9. djkny macrumors 6502

Tom Binh bags -- the ipod chic of the computer bag market.
    Hand made, in the USA...3 month waiting list says it all ..

10. scottwat macrumors regular

Yuck

No real offense meant but these things look like either they should be worn by a 1st grader or some futuristic military strike force that for some reason needs an armor plated backpack. Seriously, this screams beat me up, either to take my laptop or just cause I look like a dork.

11. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Well, the protection is outstanding. I've had no trouble at all. Some people don't like their looks but I say that they really do grow on you. It's got a space for my PB, cell, iPod, GPS, headphones, etc. It's perfect for me and I know a lot other people that it is perfect for.

12. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i recommend a booq backpack:

http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=82

i have the xl model and really like it, though i do think i'm going to sell it and get a smaller size (i had originally chosen the xl so i could zip my mamba bag to it). great style, quality, and features, imho.

marianne

13. scottwat macrumors regular

How about some needs?

There are alot of options in styles and necessities. Maybe you could give us some ideas of what needs you have in a backpack and we can help you with more reviews.

14. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Unless you want to look the part of a dork, get yourself a Crumpler bag. I have the Wee Bee for my 12" PB. Doesn't look like a computer bag and the ladies can't get enough of it.

Get out your credit card.

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

way to go advocate, i'm with you. :D same deal here, i just got a regular backpack, nothing special, although it does have a little 'pocket' where my PB can slip in, it's just that it's not made for it. i've never had any problems with my PB getting damamged. but i try not to make a habbit of letting loose paperclips and pens, other sharp objects fly around in my bag.

with the TiBooks, now that was another story. i had the same bag, but i kept the good 'ol TiBook in the plastic sleeve that it shipped with. that thing was perfect till the day i sold it.:D man o man i miss that compy... :(

but the point is you don't need some special bag to protect your PB. you are the one who really protects your PB, if you're not careful with it, no matter what bag you have, i'm afraid to say that nothing can save you.

BTW, i carry around a 15" Al PB with 1.5GB RAM, quite an 'investment' i think, but really, it doesn't need it's own little 'PowerBook bag'.

also, if you have any type of laptop bag, people know what you're packin. might as well go Axio (or Boblbee - was another hard case backpace, that Axio ripped-off) because people know a laptop bag when they see one. criminals aren't stupid you know.

16. dross macrumors regular

dross

I too am a fan of Timbuk2. They are awsom. I comute every day on my bike with mine.

17. brap macrumors 68000

I use one of these. It's a bit big for my 12", but there's plenty of room for cables, cds, books, folders, etc, etc. I'd rather be using my messenger bag, but I have to cycle a mile up a hill to get to Uni...