A Backpack

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaun.P, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hey guys,

I am looking for a nice backpack. It's not laptop specific. Just to hold books and stuff... the usual. I don't want a sports make like Nike or Adidas, but rather a make like Jansport or Quicksilver etc.

It need to look really nice etc and somewhat different in a way.

What do you recommend?

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I have a hand me down Eddie Bauer backpack from my brother that's lasted me 4 or 5 years. I would definately recommend them... :)

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I am a fan of L.L. Bean backpacks. I've had mine for over 8 years of getting beat up and it's still going strong. They're sorta pricey compared to cheaper makes like Jansport but they last. Here's a link to their general backpack section, anything but "youth" is probably worth looking at depending on your style preferences and stufff :)

EDIT: for the different part you may want to look at this one, or this.

4. nsutt22 macrumors regular

nsutt22

North Faces are really nice, strong, reliable, and usually have great storage. I got he North Face Big Shot and it even holds my 17" powerbook.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Although there's a small difference between backpacks in terms of quality, I don't think the difference is big. The part of the pack you need to worry about is the zipper. Some use a crap zipper, and some use the nice, big zippers that won't get caught, and generally don't break.

The other difference is the compartments they give you. Having a padded pocket for a laptop is nice, but I'd still use a laptop sleeve while you're at it. Also, having 2 mesh pockets at the side for a waterbottle is great for hikes and sports and stuff, even if you're not a hiker or don't play many sports. You never know, really. It's much better to hold a water bottle outside the bag than it is inside the backpack because of the convenience. Plus you're not wasting space inside the pack. EXAMPLE

Oh, and having an outside mesh or "string" pocket area is good in case you have a pair of shoes or wet towel/t-shirt to carry. Keeping a wet towel or t-shirt inside a backpack is gross and makes everything else wet, including papers and other clothes. A mesh pocket is great, but it's more flexible if you have a netted area made of a thick flexible string to carry wet stuff, because they're also better at carrying shoes. EXAMPLE (I have this backpack in red). Too bad this bag doesn't have the elastic waterbottle holders on the side. Otherwise, it'd be a perfect general backpack. :eek:

Anyway, Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) is the best, most affordable outdoor gear store in the world. I used to work in this field (not for MEC), and I'll say that MEC stuff is the best value for money. Too bad only MEC stores sell MEC stuff, and so our store didn't offer it. Mountain Hardware is close in terms of price-performance, but their stuff isn't as high-tech as MEC. :)

6. CompUser Guest

I 2nd north face. I have had mine for about 4 years and the material is in great condition- no marred marks that you always see on LL Bean backpacks. Its comfortable and big enough for me. They do not wear out easily. The zippers are intact as well. I highly recommend them. I one pretty much like this one.

[​IMG]

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, and get a backpack that reports the internal volume. If you're a student, get a backpack that's more than 30 litres in volume.

If you're getting this to store jumpers, a towel, and a change of clothes, books and papers, then I guess 20-25 litres may be enough.

Don't get something unnecessarily big, because they're generally not as comfortable and you're going to be a bit more clumsy while wearing a big backpack.

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i have/had a jansport odyssey 38 (the zippers on the 2 main compartments both broke after about 3.5yr so its basically useless) and it's great. its about 2350 cubic inches (around 38L) and fits all my stuff, unless i have an amazing amount of stuff to carry, and is reasonabl comfortable. im gonna be getting another one again, and hoping it doesn't break lol

9. zach macrumors 65816

zach

i really love JanSport AirLift backpacks, they're ergonomically designed and stuff and they're super super comfy. but then my backpack is usually 40 lbs. +, so i need a ergonomic one, not sure how much you're carrying.

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Look for something from Jansport, North Face, REI, or some other quality name. My north face pack is going on 6 years of every day use.

11. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I love the look of the North Face backpack showing in the picture above! What model is that?

Basically the backpack is (as mentioned by Abstract) a change of clothes (if I'm at work all day and staying at someones house) my iPod , phone, camera, food etc. Just your usual stuff.

12. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Ok I have found the back pack I was asking about.

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=EU&model=AMC2

See the strap that goes around your front waist bit - can you take this off so it's just the two straps that go over your shoulders like a normal backpack?

What colour would your recommend?

Crocodile Green / Asphalt Grey or
    Indian Clay Red / Asphalt Grey

This backpack isn't too ... how do I describe it...for the outdoors? i.e. designed if your going camping etc because I don't want something like that...I want something that can be taken to work and uni...

Should I get this or a Jansport bag?

13. CompUser Guest

I would go with the Crocodile Green / Asphalt Grey color combination.

There is a waist strap and a chest strap that connects from the 2 shoulder straps. They latch together with plastic clip thinggies. You can gut them off if you want or just not use them.

The backpack is not really made for "outdoors", its not huge, however it is made of really durable material. Its perfect for school.

14. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Update

I have just placed my order for the Jansport Trinity III (Black). It should arrive on Tuesday.

Do you agree that this is a good backpack?

Thank you for your help.

15. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

jansport is the timeless classic. but if you wanna be cool like us surfers... you need quicksilver or volcom :) (any pacsun store)

16. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Wayyyy off there.

Mountain Hardwear is superior to many high end outdoor vendors, and much better than MEC...

Plus, this is the first season in a long time that Mountain Hardwear has even Sold Packs, and they are already getting rave reviews. Featherlite, and totally seam-sealed waterproof in some cases..

Arc'terx is fantastic, locally made here in Vancouver, and probably overall the single best pack out there for climbing/backcountry skiing..

Don't get a North Face daypack, trust me....TNF is good at a lot of things, daypacks are not one of them

Personally, I use a Dueter daypack, 28 liters, German made, the best bang for your buck, period...and they use the air kontact system to keep your back from getting all sweaty, best pack for bike riding IMO..

yes I work in the industry...but not for much longer...