A beautiful review of Windows

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Jalexster, May 27, 2005.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/18/2033216

Windows rapidly approaching desktop usability
    Friday May 27, 2005 (06:01 PM GMT)
    By: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller

Note: I quoted the whole thing, so that you could quote and comment on your favorite parts of it, without having to open up and use another precious tab.

2. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Haha :p

Sadly they almost all use it. :rolleyes:

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Boy, I hope all those home and small office users who've been raised on Linux read this article and learn to avoid Windows until it's more mature. :rolleyes: ;)

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that was a fun read, too bad more people dont use Linux and OS X though and fall prey to all the shortcomings of Windows

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i thought it was good--a review of windows from a perspective of someone who's never used windows for an extended period of time, as opposed to "wull, xp's better than 98 cause the start button's green" or w/e

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, I guess people like him (converting a Linux box to Windows) are in the tiny minority, but I'm surprised that Windows had so many issues...like the LCD autodetect one really surprises me.

But I think what he's saying is more symptomatic of the problems with converting the OS on a machine more than Windows vs. Linux install ease. In my experience, I have never been able to take a machine originally purchased / configured / pre-installed with/for Windows and have Linux autodetect all the hardware without issues. Something, either WiFi or the video card or whatever, would not really work properly. So my experience with trying to get Linux to run on "Windows" hardware has been a lot like his trying to get Windows to run on "Linux" hardware. Although it still surprises me that the latter is so hard, considering that most "Linux" hardware *is* "Windows" hardware.

7. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

The vast majority of people don't understand the concept of different OSs and won't know what Linux is and probably won't know anything about OS X. They will just use Windows because thats what ships with the vast majority of computers. Its sad, but its not going to change anytime soon.

I'm just glad that I can use OS X on my own computer. I have to use XP at work which is tedious.

8. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Might not need to check again for long awhile.

we have a winner

another winner, complaining about downloading and installing seperate applications individually.

This whole article is about how his monitor, product keys, and software packaging. How is it about Window's XP?

9. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was about how Windows XP was incapable of properly detecting his monitor, how it's product key sucks, and how it isn't packaged with tons of free software, like most Linux distros are.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

This review seems fake. I think it was meant to be a joke. It probably originally a review from a Linux distribution from a Windows prospective. I think XP and Linux are both terrible. Linux developers can't even copy good.

11. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

It *is* a joke, it's filed under the humor section. It reads like a joke trying to point out if you move from one system to another system, flaws can be found in the new because it's different than the old.

12. CelticBhoy macrumors member

To be honest, I have xp at work and also on a laptop at home running the usual productivity and graphics apps and accessing a mainframe for software development, and I find xp simple to use and stable as long as the usual precautions are taken re viruses etc. I don't load on any dodgy apps and have a relatively stress-free experience with no kernel panics !